Sign in to follow this  
Gilgamesh69

Future "Legends"

Who can you see playing the legends slot in the future? I don't mean near future, but like 2030 onwards, so people that are still youngish now.

I for one am looking forward to seeing a Thom Yorke in his 70s playing some old Radiohead songs

Coldplay

Chris Martin

Chris Martin Super Group

Chris Martin Hologram

The Derby, Fulham and Norwich striker Chris Martin

• Upvote 4

Annoying as he is, Robbie Williams will probably be eligible one day. And probably go down a storm.

I'm struggling to think of any out and and out entertainers, who do seem to fit the bill the best.

There's Damon Albarn and Richard Ashcroft and the Gallaghers on the indie side, but I can't see them ever having the crowd eating out of the palm of their hand like a proper entertainer. Actually there is one indie musician who is good with crowds - Guy Garvey.

Has Paul Weller ever done it? He's suitably aged already.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Derby, Fulham and Norwich striker Chris Martin

In danger of going off on a tangent, he plays for Reading now. And it makes me sad. 

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Matt Bellamy

The Bellamy legend slot in 2035 will blow minds

11 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I for one am looking forward to seeing a Thom Yorke in his 70s playing some old Radiohead song.

I've a whole life to live and without meaning to wish it away this has immediately rocketed to the top of my to do list.

Rolling Stones with Cliff Richard as special guest, they've survived this long so no surprise if they continue to dodge the "Reaper" :D

Ah but for every legend that Glastonbury giveth it also er taketh awayith. See for example my missing Ray Davies due to heatstroke and Johnny Cash due to being fked.

Has there ever been a legend slot filled by a former outright headliner?

Elton the obvious 2019 man, if they can squeeze him in, but then I guess with it being the farewell tour, there could be an argument to headline outright.

2 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

The Kinks were due to headline in 1970....

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Elton the obvious 2019 man, if they can squeeze him in, but then I guess with it being the farewell tour, there could be an argument to headline outright.

If you're including people who were headliner size rather than having actually headlined, then you'd probably have to include Sir Tom.  He was certainly headliner sized once upon a time, but that might have been before the festival started!

49 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If you're including people who were headliner size rather than having actually headlined, then you'd probably have to include Sir Tom.  He was certainly headliner sized once upon a time, but that might have been before the festival started!

he certainly wasn't headliner material first time he played. He was an old has-been back then.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

he certainly wasn't headliner material first time he played. He was an old has-been back then.

Just found this

Funny, hes 5 years younger here than Wayne Coyne and just slightly older than Thom Yorke, Dave Grohl and the Sleaford Mods. 

Edited by The Nal

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Oh yeah, I'm thinking '68, something like that. Maybe he could have been headliner size at a push in 1970, but probably not hip enough for the Pilton Pop Festival.