2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

11 hours ago, Matt42 said:

George Ezra, Liam Gallagher, Janet Jackson as subs I reckon. 

Could possibly be Catfish instead of George but I can’t see George missing out this year.

*gulp* don’t wanna really wanna say this but I’m probably just gonna have to.

this is probably Glastonbury’s last opportunity to get George in a non headlining slot.

I’ve got him down as just below the Pyramid sub Sunday, after Kylie. I know he’s headlining basically every other fest this year but can see Glasto getting away with giving him a lower slot than he would anywhere else, though this is also partially because I still want to keep the gambino friday sub dream alive.

Edited by Mr. Snrub

George Ezra is in about the same position as Ed Sheeran was when he played third down in 2014 so I imagine he’d get similar treatment if he played. Really doesn’t seem like a sub to me and a post-Kylie spot would be perfect really, as we’ve all been predicting for a year now. 

But hopefully he just steers clear entirely and sticks to his boreathon headline sets.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

George Ezra is in about the same position as Ed Sheeran was when he played third down in 2014 so I imagine he’d get similar treatment if he played. Really doesn’t seem like a sub to me and a post-Kylie spot would be perfect really, as we’ve all been predicting for a year now. 

But hopefully he just steers clear entirely and sticks to his boreathon headline sets.

Ed Sheeran wasn’t headlining fests like IOW or TITP (obv TRNSMT wasn’t about) in 2014. It strikes me more like when Sheeran played stadiums in 2015, and pretty much set the timer on headlining Glastonbury on the next album. I would predict now that Ezra won’t play until he headlines in 2021.

I remember when everybody was saying Ed Sheeran would headline on his next album, and I thought "Nah, there's no way you can let that big of a wet lettuce headline and maintain any sense of credibility". Here we are in 2019 and I'm thinking the same thing about George Ezra today.

Really struggled to get across what I mean when drafting this comment but Ed was way bigger than George when he played third down in 2014. However, due to the current festival market George is taking much bigger slots.

He totally could play third down after Kylie but I reckon that slot is reserved for Vampire Weekend.

I reckon George is more likely to sub than play third down but i’m not discounting the possibility.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Ed Sheeran wasn’t headlining fests like IOW or TITP (obv TRNSMT wasn’t about) in 2014. It strikes me more like when Sheeran played stadiums in 2015, and pretty much set the timer on headlining Glastonbury on the next album. I would predict now that Ezra won’t play until he headlines in 2021.

I’d agree with you but I don’t think George is as bothered with exclusivity as Ed’s management was. It was pretty clear that 2014 was the last time Ed was ever going to play a position lower than headline.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’d agree with you but I don’t think George is as bothered with exclusivity as Ed’s management was. It was pretty clear that 2014 was the last time Ed was ever going to play a position lower than headline.

He played T two weeks later, you were there. And V later that summer. I just think getting him to sub this year when he’s a couple of years off a surefire, probably provisionally agreed, headline slot is a bit odd.

Just now, dentalplan said:

He played T two weeks later, you were there. And V later that summer. I just think getting him to sub this year when he’s a couple of years off a surefire, probably provisionally agreed, headline slot is a bit odd.

What I mean is 2014 in general  being his last round of playing below headline. Seeing as most festivals he played were around the release of the second album when the monumental success it would bring was still only speculated.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What I mean is 2014 in general  being his last round of playing below headline. Seeing as most festivals he played were around the release of the second album when the monumental success it would bring was still only speculated.

True. But with Ezra. I'm saying that him headlining four of the biggest festivals in the UK feels a bit more like him collecting on the monumental success. like Sheeran did in 2015 with Wembley Stadium shows.

But at the same time, yeah, it's not gonna be a surprise if he's on the poster anyway and comes back the other side of the anniversary to headline regardless.

Edited by dentalplan

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I don't think he'd play 3rd now, he's doing Neighbourhood, IOW and TRNSMT. I get the Sheeran similarity but I think you've either got him as a sub this year or next year on the anniversary.

I don't see Ezra headlining in the future.  To be fair I was surprised by Sheeran doing it so I'm clearly no mystic meg, but Sheeran was hobnobbing with all sorts of celebrities, doing collaborations and writing songs for people left right and centre, as well as appearing in films and really marketing himself everywhere.  I don't think Ezra is that kind of person or act.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Catfish and the Bottlemen playing the slot that Emily called "the metal slot" earlier this month? Don't count on it.

People disappointed by the idea of a 'metal slot' as it's  too prescriptive will roll out the welcome mat for The Blackfish and the lads.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Ezra is just a placeholder for when Sheeran doesn’t have any new material. Really don’t see him getting the headliner gig, much like people thought Sam Smith was gonna do it after Adele. Smith and Ezra haven’t had quite the same world dominating effect as the other two.

Sam Smith didn’t headline any other major UK festivals though. 

1 hour ago, TKOCF said:

My bad, didn’t realise it was specifically the “Metal” slot.

Well, none of the acts that have played it are metal bands but it’s definitely supposed to be heavier stuff than Catfish and the Bottlemen.

Sam Smith is a weird one. He’s definitely festival headliner sized but I reckon due to his overexposure he’d be a pretty unexciting booking for a festival to make.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Ezra is just a placeholder for when Sheeran doesn’t have any new material. Really don’t see him getting the headliner gig, much like people thought Sam Smith was gonna do it after Adele. Smith and Ezra haven’t had quite the same world dominating effect as the other two.

I agree with this but in a different way. Festivals are taking the punt on him this year because he’s selling well and current in a year where a lot of the big hitters seem to be taking time off. Ezra is indeed the type of act that does well when there is little competition.

I saw him at Glastonbury 2015 when we had him, James Bay and Hozier in afternoon slots on the Pyramid on different days, all with the potential to be the next big thing, he has undoubtedly had the most commercially successful second  album of the three. However I do not think his management had that much confidence in him as i saw him last July at a racecourse concert. He is however becoming more internationally known as i have heard his records all over Australia at the end of last year and hearing him as I travel around Guatemala, not sure how he does in the US and that I suppose is what takes him into Sherran territory. 

He has conquered the second album problem, a solid third album and he could headline in 2021.