2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

32 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If Dua doesn't play and comes back in 2020 with a new album....she will most likely be subbing mate. Hmm true, Hacienda Classical against Noel Gallagher on Other?...HC did have a pretty decent crowd for opening last year to be honest. 

So we are at Stormzy, Liam Gallagher, The Beach Boys, Charlie XCX

I went for Charlie over Cher 4th down as I think Cher would play 3rd similar to Robert Plant, so maybe Ariana, Cher, Slash maybe 4th down Saturday.

I doubt Glasto would try and book that kind of act to sub though. I reckon she'd be about Katy perry/George Ezra size (comfortably doing arenas and getting lots of radio play, but not Adele/Sheeran levels of domination and ticket sales to warrant headliner). Could be wrong and the new album could blow up massively mind. Depends how much of a sophomore slump she has.

Doubt Charli would get that slot at Glasto either. She ain't that big and doesn't really fit the pyramid vibe imo (PC music is a bit niche for it, tho 1999 is doing really well for her).

As to Cher, I reckon it's legends or nothing for her. Don't see why she would put her in anywhere else, she has the hits for it so why not. I especially don't think they'll book her the year where her show would basically be an Abba tribute band.

No way Ariana would sub. A. she wouldn't take a sub slot and B. she is one of the biggest female musicians in the world at the moment (Sweetner for some reason was really well recieved even though it was a massive drop in quality from Dangerous woman for me). Plus Thank You Next (which is much better imo) is dominating at the moment, not to mention how much she is in the news constantly and how much respect she gained from Manchester.

Slash I doubt we'll see due to him doing Download. Guess he could turn up at both tbf but I don't see why they'd particularly want him.

12 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I doubt Glasto would try and book that kind of act to sub though. I reckon she'd be about Katy perry/George Ezra size (comfortably doing arenas and getting lots of radio play, but not Adele/Sheeran levels of domination and ticket sales to warrant headliner). Could be wrong and the new album could blow up massively mind. Depends how much of a sophomore slump she has.

Doubt Charli would get that slot at Glasto either. She ain't that big and doesn't really fit the pyramid vibe imo (PC music is a bit niche for it, tho 1999 is doing really well for her).

As to Cher, I reckon it's legends or nothing for her. Don't see why she would put her in anywhere else, she has the hits for it so why not. I especially don't think they'll book her the year where her show would basically be an Abba tribute band.

No way Ariana would sub. A. she wouldn't take a sub slot and B. she is one of the biggest female musicians in the world at the moment (Sweetner for some reason was really well recieved even though it was a massive drop in quality from Dangerous woman for me). Plus Thank You Next (which is much better imo) is dominating at the moment, not to mention how much she is in the news constantly and how much respect she gained from Manchester.

Slash I doubt we'll see due to him doing Download. Guess he could turn up at both tbf but I don't see why they'd particularly want him.

Fair points. TBH I put Charlie XCX there as couldn't think of another. Probably correct on Cher and Slash tbf.

I think Ariana would sub at Glastonbury, it's if it bothers he enough though.

Dua Lipa has already sold out arenas, I'm shocked Neighbourhood have got Ezra to play, this year they had two acts that were essentially 4th Pyramid stage level...3 at a push but Courteeners only played 3rd on Other...being from where they are helped.  She's an act tbh I could see headlining Rize quite comfortably too.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Fair points. TBH I put Charlie XCX there as couldn't think of another. Probably correct on Cher and Slash tbf.

I think Ariana would sub at Glastonbury, it's if it bothers he enough though.

Dua Lipa has already sold out arenas, I'm shocked Neighbourhood have got Ezra to play, this year they had two acts that were essentially 4th Pyramid stage level...3 at a push but Courteeners only played 3rd on Other...being from where they are helped.  She's an act tbh I could see headlining Rize quite comfortably too.

She did academies on her s/t tour didn't she?

33 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Come on man Ariana Grande is not above subbing Glastonbury.

Meh I can't see it personally. Maybe before Sweetener but I reckon she's probably headline or nothing (again it depends on how badly she wants to play, but I reckon she's easily bigger than Stormzy)

14 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

She did academies on her s/t tour didn't she?

There were arenas in there, Hyro, Genting, Cardiff and Ally Pally plus two nights at Manchester Apollo so yeah I guess another album that does as well still would put her 3rd on a bigger tour, I guess Sheeran played 3rd with a huge tour coming up at the time. 

12 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

is there a reason people aren't predicting them? they've bot been announced for anything in europe but it's too early to dismiss the threat

Dunno, one of them bands like Twenty One Pilots who I expect to turn up at festivals with a younger audience I guess. I remember predicting them the last time they were touring (presumably in 2017) and they didn't turn up so hopefully they stay away again.

Then again I was about to say I can more easily see them at Rize/IOW and the latter obviously has an older audience than Glasto, so maybe rather than "younger audience" I mean "audience that wants to watch absolutely horrendous bands like IOW book every year".

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno, one of them bands like Twenty One Pilots who I expect to turn up at festivals with a younger audience I guess. I remember predicting them the last time they were touring (presumably in 2017) and they didn't turn up so hopefully they stay away again.

Then again I was about to say I can more easily see them at Rize/IOW and the latter obviously has an older audience than Glasto, so maybe rather than "younger audience" I mean "audience that wants to watch absolutely horrendous bands like IOW book every year".

they have an older audience too, increasingly so I think. my mum's started listening to them. they're obviously here to stay at this point so despite being tragic I could definitely see Glasto handing over a big slot to them. but yeah equally they could go to one of those I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

they have an older audience too, increasingly so I think. my mum's started listening to them. they're obviously here to stay at this point so despite being tragic I could definitely see Glasto handing over a big slot to them. but yeah equally they could go to one of those I suppose.

Did you also ask your mum "Who's this? This sounds good" when she had them on or was that just Mumford and Sons

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

no, newspaper thing. Pretty sure it was saying or suggesting back again in the same spot.

Hmm the only thing I can find on Google, including in the eFests article on it, is this quote:

"After discussing their 2017 performance curator/DJ/producer Mike Pickering told Gordon Smart’s Radio X show, "we're booked for the year after this"."

FRIDAY

Pyramid: 
Stormzy / Ariana Grande / The Beach Boys / Blossoms / Ice Cube / Circa Waves / Lewis Capaldi / Public Service Broadcasting
Other: Tool / Wolf Alice / Portugal. The Man / MIST / Maximo Park
West Holts: LCD Soundsystem
John Peel: Chvrches
Park: The Horrors

SATURDAY

Pyramid: 
Paul McCartney / Liam Gallagher / Childish Gambino / Slaves / Tom Odell / Solange / Gerry Cinnamon / The Smyths
Other: The Streets / Two Door Cinema Club / Giggs / IDLES / Twin Atlantic
West Holts: Jungle
John Peel: The Gaslight Anthem
Park: Everything Everything

SUNDAY

Pyramid: The Cure / The Strokes / Dua Lipa / Kylie Minogue / Sleaford Mods / Peter Frampton / Toots and the Maytals / Hacienda Classical
Other: The Prodigy / Halsey / The Kooks / Loyle Carner / The Wombats
West Holts: Jamiroquai
John Peel: J Hus
Park: Frank Turner

19 minutes ago, VCK said:

FRIDAY

Pyramid: 
Stormzy / Ariana Grande / The Beach Boys / Blossoms / Ice Cube / Circa Waves / Lewis Capaldi / Public Service Broadcasting
Other: Tool / Wolf Alice / Portugal. The Man / MIST / Maximo Park
West Holts: LCD Soundsystem
John Peel: Chvrches
Park: The Horrors

SATURDAY

Pyramid: 
Paul McCartney / Liam Gallagher / Childish Gambino / Slaves / Tom Odell / Solange / Gerry Cinnamon / The Smyths
Other: The Streets / Two Door Cinema Club / Giggs / IDLES / Twin Atlantic
West Holts: Jungle
John Peel: The Gaslight Anthem
Park: Everything Everything

SUNDAY

Pyramid: The Cure / The Strokes / Dua Lipa / Kylie Minogue / Sleaford Mods / Peter Frampton / Toots and the Maytals / Hacienda Classical
Other: The Prodigy / Halsey / The Kooks / Loyle Carner / The Wombats
West Holts: Jamiroquai
John Peel: J Hus
Park: Frank Turner

There is no way Gambino is 3rd down, lucky if they got him to sub. I'd probably only see 2 acts a day bar Sunday, quite weak for me.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, Gucci Piggy said:

Friday:
Pyramid: Stormzy / Liam Gallagher / Iggy Pop / Years and Years / Young Fathers / Sheryl Crow / Joan Armatrading / Britpop Classical
Other: Wolf Alice / Jess Glynne / The Wombats / Blossoms / Lily Allen / Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes / Confidence Man / Shame / Garbage (secret set)
West Holts: Orbital / Jorja Smith / Neneh Cherry / IamDDB / Sons of Kemet / Rosalía / Tirzah / Jacob Banks
John Peel: Interpol / Editors / The Horrors / Parquet Courts / The Internet / Gaz Coombes / The Magic Gang / The Joy Formidable / The Blinders / Bloxx
Park: Jarvis Cocker / Django Django / Mitski / tUnE-yArDs / Ought / Alex Cameron / Hop Along / Octavian / Nilüfer Yanya
Acoustic: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets

Saturday:
Pyramid: Paul McCartney / Childish Gambino / Dua Lipa / Solange / Tom Odell / Kamasi Washington / Salif Keita / Peter Hook and Manchester Camerata Present Joy Division Orchestrated
Other: The Streets / Courteeners / Hot Chip / Courtney Barnett / Krept x Konan / IDLES / Declan McKenna / Pale Waves / Greta Van Fleet
West Holts: Chaka Khan / Tash Sultana / Toots and the Maytals / Nao / Kelela / Chromeo / Little Simz / Hamzaa
John Peel: Christine and the Queens / Sigrid / Charli XCX / AJ Tracey / Miles Kane / Kate Nash / Starcrawler / Sam Fender / Sunflower Bean / [ETC Winners]
Park: John Grant / Cigarettes After Sex / Marianne Faithful / Villagers / Iceage / Preoccupations / Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever / Bodega / King Princess

Sunday:
Pyramid: The Cure / Lana Del Rey / George Ezra / Kylie Minogue / Kacey Musgraves / Khruangbin / The Twilight Sad / [something fucking dumb]
Other: Chemical Brothers / Vampire Weekend / James Bay / BROCKHAMPTON / Everything Everything / Gerry Cinnamon / DMA's / Fickle Friends / Tom Grennan
West Holts: Jon Hopkins / Jungle / Mount Kimbie / Noname / Fatoumata Diawara / Ezra Collective / Let's Eat Grandma
John Peel: Robyn / Mura Masa / Beach House / Dave / Tom Misch / Marmozets / Anna Calvi / Natalie Prass / Dream Wife / Goat Girl
Park: Loyle Carner / Rex Orange County / SOPHIE / Superorganism / Soccer Mommy / Yaeji / Boy Azooga / Black Midi

Tryna gradually move my Park lineup away from looking like a best albums of 2019 list but couldn't think of enough replacement acts so I'm not fully there yet.

Also fuck knows on my ordering of WH; I have no idea how big half of those acts are.

Don't tease with Charli XCX > Sigrid > Chris

On 11/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, eFestivals said:

someone from Hacienda Classical saying very explicitly that they'd been asked to open the Pyramid again because it went so well last time.

it was good, great way to open. the only time i was at the pyramid that year . fun for the whole family .

I am hoping Elvana open the other stage