2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Py: Stormzy, The Streets, Iggy Pop, Christine & the Queens, Kamasi Washington, Sharon Van Etten, Ibeyi
OS: Tame Impala, Weezer, Years & Years, Hozier, Courtney Barnett, Sigrid, Marina & the Diamonds, Confidence Man
WH: Chaka Khan, Jungle, Tom Misch, Laura Mvula, Imarhan, Nao
JP: Ben Howard, Young Fathers, Beach House, The Horrors, Stefflon Don, Jagwar Ma, Lewis Capaldi
Pa: Jarvis Cocker, Sophie, Peter Murphy, Whitney, Jade Bird, serpentwithfeet, Goat Girl, The KVB

Py: Madonna, The War on Drugs, Van Morrison, Dua Lipa, Tom Odell, Joan Armatrading, The Staves
OS: Aphex Twin, Jamie xx, Courteeners, The Wombats, Idles, Kurt Vile, Tom Walker, Maggie Rogers, The Joy Formidable
WH: Alabama Shakes, Jorja Smith, Amadou & Mariam, Toots & the Maytals, Fatoumata Diawara
JP: Hot Chip, Caribou, Spiritualized, Shame, Anna Calvi, The Magic Gang, Mabel, Sam Fender, Let's Eat Grandma
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Gruff Rhys, Mount Kimbie, Julia Holter, Kojey Radical, Kate Nash, Boy Azooga

Py: The Cure, Liam Gallagher, George Ezra, Kylie Minogue, Lily Allen, Rex Orange County, Ward Thomas
OS: Disclosure, Jess Glynne, Chvrches, Friendly Fires, John Grant, Tom Grennan, White Lies, Greta Van Fleet, Sundara Karma
WH: Jon Hopkins, John Carpenter, Neneh Cherry, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IamDDB, Nubya Garcia
JP: The Vaccines, Grizzly Bear, Pale Waves, Parquet Courts, Miles Kane, Isaac Gracie, Bodega
Pa: Loyle Carner, Bat For Lashes, The Lemon Twigs, AJ Tracey, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Teleman, Nilufer Yanya

Would be the 1st time I've ended a night at The Park, Saturday is terrible for me but either way Dua Lipa defo won't be 4th down the Pyramid....I'm 100% sure on that. 

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Who are you thinking now then? I've gone off the idea of Arctic Monkeys headlining and Stormzy seems the obvious newer headliner.

No idea. Going with this Cure thing obviously cos I want it, I think Madonna and Mac/Macca would be too old so maybe Arctics/Kendrick now instead of the latter, or Rihanna/Gaga instead of the former.

I was catching up with Festileaks earlier and reading about the Pinkpop boss wanting The Police to reunite for their 50th so I’m kinda watching that one closely, just bc it would be a surprise one.

9 hours ago, Ged Devereux said:

Snap! 

Stormyz, Madonna and The Cure would be the weakest trio in a while

Not sure I agree. Not really certain how big Stormzy is but seems to be a genre and target audience that balances the other two out well. As has been said Madonna would be a big deal and The Cure are a worldwide headliner who haven't played in a long time. That said only Madonna appeals to me and, as has been said lots, if she doesn't pull out a greatest hits set there is little to no appeal. I think that, plus perhaps how people think Stormzy steps up, would define whether it was remembered as a solid set of headliners or not.

Stormyz has released one album ( second could flop, doubt it will, don’t care either way )

I don’t get why they’d go for Madonna or The Cure now after a fallow year, they could have had them over the past 10 years. Neither is in that top bracket of festival headliner like Macca or Fleetwood Mac and you’d expect that sort of act after the fallow year! 

Weak probably wasn’t the best word, weak personally as I’d only watch Madonna and that could go either way

6 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

Stormyz has released one album ( second could flop, doubt it will, don’t care either way )

I don’t get why they’d go for Madonna or The Cure now after a fallow year, they could have had them over the past 10 years. Neither is in that top bracket of festival headliner like Macca or Fleetwood Mac and you’d expect that sort of act after the fallow year!  

Weak probably wasn’t the best word, weak personally as I’d only watch Madonna and that could go either way

Madonna is absolutely in the top bracket. She's one of the biggest pop stars in history.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Madonna is absolutely in the top bracket. She's one of the biggest pop stars in history.

As an artist and her back catalogue yeah she’s in the top bracket but a festival headliner I don’t think she is. I can’t see her headling, reckon she’ll be along in a couple of years in the legends slot 

19 minutes ago, Ged Devereux said:

As an artist and her back catalogue yeah she’s in the top bracket but a festival headliner I don’t think she is. I can’t see her headling, reckon she’ll be along in a couple of years in the legends slot 

Cannot agree at all with that. She still sells out arenas when she tours, it would be a massive story if the festival bagged her, on a par with Adele at least. She would pack that field out.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Cannot agree at all with that. She still sells out arenas when she tours, it would be a massive story if the festival bagged her, on a par with Adele at least. She would pack that field out.

Yeah just looked at her last tour, I take it back, ha! Feel if she was going to headline she would have by now, but suppose it’s similar to The Rolling Stone’s in they could have done it before they finally did. Definitely don’t see her and The Cure headling the same year

If Beyonce can headline, then Madonna surely can.

I see where you're coming from though. One Direction, for example, would never have headlined (thank goodness) because they are so manufactured, so therefore why did Beyonce, and therefore potentially Madonna? (Are they less manufactured in some way?)

Edited by Little Andy

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I see where you're coming from though. One Direction, for example, would never have headlined (thank goodness) because they are so manufactured, so therefore why did Beyonce, and therefore potentially Madonna? (Are they less manufactured in some way?)

Manufactured or not the likes of Beyoncé and Madonna have the tunes and the chops to headline, One Direction did not.

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Beyoncé releases music that appeals to a massive range of people, including adults and serious music fans, and has released some of the most critically acclaimed albums of the last few years. There's a massive audience for her at a festival like Glastonbury, as shown by the crowd she drew, how well she went down, and the fact she gets booked to play similar festivals elsewhere (e.g. Coachella).

One Direction are a talent show product who release music primarily enjoyed by kids and very casual music fans who don't go to festivals. They have no critical acclaim and have never been taken seriously by music fans.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Manufactured or not the likes of Beyoncé and Madonna have the tunes and the chops to headline, One Direction did not.

One Direction never even appeared at the festival though. Surely thats cos they were manufactured, I can't think what else it would be? (Just to clarify, I would not want them appear either, I'm just trying to discuss why some pop artists are fair game and some are not)

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Beyoncé releases music that appeals to a massive range of people, including adults and serious music fans, and has released some of the most critically acclaimed albums of the last few years. There's a massive audience for her at a festival like Glastonbury, as shown by the crowd she drew, how well she went down, and the fact she gets booked to play similar festivals elsewhere (e.g. Coachella).

One Direction are a talent show product who release music primarily enjoyed by kids and very casual music fans who don't go to festivals. They have no critical acclaim and have never been taken seriously by music fans.

Aha, I see. Her fan base is much broader than just for kids and people who only listen to chart music.

7 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Certainly wouldn't class Madonna as manufactured.  She's certainly controlled and developed her image over the years, but she wasn't the pet project of a label or svengali type

Just now, Quark said:

Certainly wouldn't class Madonna as manufactured.  She's certainly controlled and developed her image over the years, but she wasn't the pet project of a label or svengali type

Interesting to me that developing her image is relevant. I would have assumed that developing her music was what Glastonbury would care about. I see what you mean though, I suppose image is just largely irrelevant to me.

Just now, Little Andy said:

Interesting to me that developing her image is relevant. I would have assumed that developing her music was what Glastonbury would care about. I see what you mean though, I suppose image is just largely irrelevant to me.

I think that was more of a "sure, she's developed her image, but she isn't just some manufactured pop star", rather than it being something relevant to her playing Glasto.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What he said.

4 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I think that was more of a "sure, she's developed her image, but she isn't just some manufactured pop star", rather than it being something relevant to her playing Glasto.

Aye, Gucci's got it. 

16 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I see the distinction. :)

So therefore, would it be accurate to say that all the following pop artists who have played Glastonbury do have fans with people of all ages, who are music fans, and have critically acclaimed music? : Katy Perry, Rita Ora, Paloma Faith, Ellie Goulding, etc?

Good question. Perry in particular can really divide opinion, as I know of music fans who deem her to be the devil incarnate.

I guess it's drawing a distinction between those who manufacture themselves and the associated image, and those who are manufactured by an entity seeking to make money. And that's not to say that self-manufacturing doesn't target the almighty dollar as much as artistic expression.

Also worth noting that it's not the exclusive remit of female artists. You could well argue that Bowie was the most perfect example of self-manufacturing, but combined with critical acclaim. Ditto boy bands like Boyzone or Take That (the manufactured males, not the critical acclaim).

History's a factor as well. For example, Take That would go down better (and that's not to say it would be popular!) at Glastonbury now than they would have done 20 years ago.

Edited by Quark

55 minutes ago, Quark said:

I guess it's drawing a distinction between those who manufacture themselves and the associated image, and those who are manufactured by an entity seeking to make money.

Also worth noting that it's not the exclusive remit of female artists.

Good point about whether they manufactured themselves or by a money making Cowell. Maybe thats the key distinction Glastonbury would make. X factor artists very rarely appear, for example.

In regards to female artists, I noticed all my examples were women, and I even went onto the Glastonbury Wiki to find a male example who had played. I just couldn't see one.