2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think that's true. There's a lot more goodwill and devotion towards Gaga, particularly following her career recaps at Sportsbowl 500 and Coachella. Seems like she's going through more of a career blip and is likely to bounce back as an artist with something of a legacy, which I wouldn't say is the case for Kate P.

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. I, probably a little unfairly, lumped them into the same group of arena sized acts that have had their peak. I also think it was an impressive feat getting Perry to play that low. As I say though, it's a good idea in my book, anything remotely interesting to stop Coldplay doing it again.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Fair enough. There's not a lot there that wouldn't play at all, but it's just the volume of trendy pop/dance/r&b acts and the spaces that they're taking up would be quite surprising.

I can't imagine Gaga and SOPHIE to be much good, to be honest. Seems too much of a clash of styles. It'd definitely be bad for business, and Lady Gaga needs a bit of reviving rather than making her way masquerading as a leftfield pop artist.

Gaga has always been heavily electronic and imo has always been what Charli XCX could be if she had ever received any real promo from her record label. I don't know if it would be much good but her older stuff (especially the Fame Monster) was all very electronic and top notch (really before that style came into fashion too)

Not to mention that after releasing a Jazz and a Country album, I ain't sure how much she wants to be at the centre of things again. She has a pretty large dedicated following at this point anyway, enough so that even a shitty song like perfect illusion charted pretty well on it's debut.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Gaga is Perry's level, I'd be very, very surprised if she headlined. Shocked even. Hope she does, I'd be nowhere near it though.

Really? Katy has always been a trend hopper aiming for the lowest denominator top 40 pop. Gaga has always been pretty experimental and memorable. Heck, just look at their last 2 tours sales figures

Gaga - Joanne world tour $94.9 million, 49 shows

Perry - Witness world tour $28.1 million, 115 shows (and admittedly according to Wikipedia it doesn't finish till next month)

Edited by Mattymooz

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Really? Katy has always been a trend hopper aiming for the lowest denominator top 40 pop. Gaga has always been pretty experimental and memorable. Heck, just look at their last 2 tours sales figures

Gaga - Joanne world tour $94.9 million, 49 shows

Perry - Witness world tour $28.1 million, 115 shows (and admittedly according to Wikipedia it doesn't finish till next month)

Yeah I hold my hands up, misjudged that one. I'm bored enough at work to comment on this but not interested in this enough to do any form of research ahah, my bad.

• Like 1

Changed my prediction around a bit.

Friday
Py: Stormzy, Disclosure, Iggy Pop, Christine & the Queens, Father John Misty, Kacey Musgraves, Salif Keita
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, The Wombats, Carly Rae Jepsen, Portugal. The Man, Parquet Courts
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Young Fathers
JP: Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Editors, Car Seat Headrest
Pa: My Bloody Valentine

Saturday
Py: Arctic Monkeys, Ms. Lauryn Hill, Dua Lipa, Franz Ferdinand, Billy Ocean, Kamasi Washington, Joan Armatrading
OS: The Chemical Brothers, The War on Drugs, Hot Chip, Friendly Fires, Everything Everything, Pale Waves, Fickle Friends
WH: Run-DMC, Jungle, The John Butler Trio
JP: Lily Allen, Mura Massa, Charli xcx
Pa: Courtney Barnett

Sunday
Py: Paul McCartney, Vampire Weekend, The Specials, Diana Ross, Loyle Carner, Greta Van Fleet, Lucy Rose
OS: The Streets, Jess Glynne, James Bay, Cage the Elephant, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: Alabama Shakes, Chaka Khan, Tom Misch
JP: FKA Twigs, Grimes, Sigrid
Pa: Caribou

12 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday
Py: Stormzy, Disclosure, Iggy Pop, Christine & the Queens, Father John Misty, Kacey Musgraves, Salif Keita
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, Chvrches, The Wombats, Carly Rae Jepsen, Portugal. The Man, Parquet Courts

Saturday
Py: Arctic Monkeys, Ms. Lauryn Hill, Dua Lipa, Franz Ferdinand, Billy Ocean, Kamasi Washington, Joan Armatrading
OS: The Chemical Brothers, The War on Drugs, Hot Chip, Friendly Fires, Everything Everything, Pale Waves, Fickle Friends

Sunday
Py: Paul McCartney, Vampire Weekend, The Specials, Diana Ross, Loyle Carner, Greta Van Fleet, Lucy Rose
OS: The Streets, Jess Glynne, James Bay, Cage the Elephant, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes

I think this will be close to the mark with Chaka as Saturday headliner on WH

10 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

I think this will be close to the mark with Chaka as Saturday headliner on WH

Jungle into Chaka would have my attention

12 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Now this is an interesting one.  Do you reckon they're going to give up on the bigger name / veteran act opening the OS on Friday this year then? I know it's not a massively long standing tradition, but since 2013 it's been Beady Eye (big name Liam), Kaiser Chiefs (shudder but relatively big name lad rock), Charlatans (indie veterans), James (indie veterans) and Pretenders (just plain veterans).

15 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

That would work for me.

Friday run of Iggy Pop > Wolf Alice > YYY's would work nicely.

Saturday: Franz > Hot Chip > Lauren Hill > AM or Run DMC

Sunday: That Pyramid run of D. Ross to Macca would be just lovely.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new one, for your post-sports world.

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Janet Jackson, John Fogerty, Christine & the Queens, Young Fathers, The Psychedelic Furs
OS: The Prodigy, Wolf Alice, Hot Chip, Hozier, The Wombats, Everything Everything, shocked-hippie-laptop.jpg
WH: Alabama Shakes, Loyle Carner, St. Germain, Blood Orange
JP: Chvrches, Editors, Charli XCX, Modest Mouse
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Sleater-Kinney, Shame, Natalie Prass

Py: Paul McCartney, The War on Drugs, Dua Lipa, Van Morrison, Krept & Konan, Joan Armatrading
OS: Silk City, Jamie xx, J Hus, Franz Ferdinand, Lily Allen, Sigrid, Parquet Courts
WH: Run-DMC, Jungle, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IAMDDB
JP: Friendly Fires, Anne Marie, Mura Masa, The Horrors
Pa: Caribou, Django Django, Rex Orange County, Beak>

Py: Fleetwood Mac, Jamiroquai, Bastille, Kylie, John Grant, Salif Keita
OS: The Streets, Jess Glynne, Weezer, Blossoms, Wizkid, Marina & the Diamonds, Pale Waves
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Tom Misch, Toots & the Maytals
JP: Interpol, St. Vincent, Tom Grennan, AJ Tracey
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Gruff Rhys, Benjamin Clementine, Rolling Blackouts CF

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Py: Fleetwood Mac, Jamiroquai, Bastille, Kylie, John Grant, Salif Keita
OS: The Streets, Jess Glynne, Weezer, Blossoms, Wizkid, Marina & the Diamonds, Pale Waves
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Tom Misch, Toots & the Maytals
JP: Interpol, St. Vincent, Tom Grennan, AJ Tracey
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Gruff Rhys, Benjamin Clementine, Rolling Blackouts CF

Choose between Interpol, Courtney Barnett, FM and Jon Hopkins? I don't like you anymore.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Choose between Interpol, Courtney Barnett, FM and Jon Hopkins? I don't like you anymore.

Well I don't like you for even considering that a choice. :P

59 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

That would be excellent for me. Would Janet Jackson sub? I know she’s headlining some US festivals but didn’t think she’d be quite as big over here.

Reckon so. She's not a headliner or a legend slot performer but she's certainly a household name here, even if her songs don't quite match.

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Reckon so. She's not a headliner or a legend slot performer but she's certainly a household name here, even if her songs don't quite match.

Yeah that’s true I guess, I suppose I’ve been thinking of Lauryn Hill as a potential sub so this wouldn’t be too dissimilar.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

That FM/Interpol clash is pretty brutal, as is Kendrick/Prodigy.

Agreed, surely it would make sense to swap the proidgy and interpol days? I feel like there would be considerably less crossover between Prodigy & FM, and Kdot & Inetpol

46 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Agreed, surely it would make sense to swap the proidgy and interpol days? I feel like there would be considerably less crossover between Prodigy & FM, and Kdot & Inetpol

It wouldn't make any sense really, seeing as neither are remotely similar pairs and you'd be swapping Prodigy/Interpol between different stages.

On 7/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, dentalplan said:

I've narrowed it down to FM or Hopkins.  And I'm still not happy with you. And I know how much my approval matters to you.