2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Updated me thing with it being a new month and all that.

Py: FOALS, Iggy Pop, Ms. Lauryn Hill, J Hus, Everything Everything, The Psychedelic Furs
OS: Jamie xx, Silk City, Courteeners, Chvrches, Friendly Fires, Sigrid, Parquet Courts
WH: Run-DMC, Chaka Khan, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IamDDB
JP: Krept x Konan, St. Vincent, Jessie J, The Horrors
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Django Django, Yaeji, Julia Holter

Py: FLEETWOOD MAC, The War on Drugs, Dua Lipa, Christine & the Queens, Gnarls Barkley, Joan Armatrading
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, James Bay, Years & Years, Lily Allen, You Me at Six, Greta Van Fleet
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Jungle, Toots & the Maytals
JP: FKA twigs, Editors, Car Seat Headrest, Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Pa: Caribou, Beach House, Shame, Mount Kimbie

Py: RIHANNA, Bastille, Duran Duran, Kylie, Loyle Carner, Mulatu Astatke
OS: The Streets, Ian Brown, Hot Chip, Blossoms, Wizkid, Pale Waves, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: Alabama Shakes, Young Fathers, Tom Misch, Rex Orange County
JP: The Vaccines, Lykke Li, Charli XCX, Modest Mouse
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, AJ Tracey, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

Ok, not going to say I'm convinced by the whole thing (Friday night has little for me) but there's some good shouts in there. WOD then over to Hopkins on Sat night would be wonderfully messy, and Sunday would have DD (and not ironically) and Courtney to close. Plus you have Coastal Blackouts in there.

Make it so.

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Updated me thing with it being a new month and all that.

Py: FOALS, Iggy Pop, Ms. Lauryn Hill, J Hus, Everything Everything, The Psychedelic Furs
OS: Jamie xx, Silk City, Courteeners, Chvrches, Friendly Fires, Sigrid, Parquet Courts
WH: Run-DMC, Chaka Khan, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, IamDDB
JP: Krept x Konan, St. Vincent, Jessie J, The Horrors
Pa: My Bloody Valentine, Django Django, Yaeji, Julia Holter

Py: FLEETWOOD MAC, The War on Drugs, Dua Lipa, Christine & the Queens, Gnarls Barkley, Joan Armatrading
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wolf Alice, James Bay, Years & Years, Lily Allen, You Me at Six, Greta Van Fleet
WH: Jon Hopkins, Jorja Smith, Jungle, Toots & the Maytals
JP: FKA twigs, Editors, Car Seat Headrest, Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Pa: Caribou, Beach House, Shame, Mount Kimbie

Py: RIHANNA, Bastille, Duran Duran, Kylie, Loyle Carner, Mulatu Astatke
OS: The Streets, Ian Brown, Hot Chip, Blossoms, Wizkid, Pale Waves, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes
WH: Alabama Shakes, Young Fathers, Tom Misch, Rex Orange County
JP: The Vaccines, Lykke Li, Charli XCX, Modest Mouse
Pa: Courtney Barnett, Sleater-Kinney, AJ Tracey, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

I'm almost definite that Chvrches won't be 4th down Other, The War on Drugs won't sub the Pyramid, Catfish won't be topping Other...not as sure not confident enough.

Lily Allen, YM@6 and Blossoms definitely won't be that low. Bastille will be lucky to get sub.

I'd also probably head for the exit after the subs to get out as by that point neither The Streets or Vaccines are enough to keep me about.

15 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I'm almost definite that Chvrches won't be 4th down Other, The War on Drugs won't sub the Pyramid, Catfish won't be topping Other...not as sure not confident enough.

Lily Allen, YM@6 and Blossoms definitely won't be that low. Bastille will be lucky to get sub.

I'd also probably head for the exit after the subs to get out as by that point neither The Streets or Vaccines are enough to keep me about.

The War on Drugs point is intentionally meant to not be a clear one, because there are one or two or sometimes three Pyramid subs that either aren't big enough or are too big or something each year. As I said earlier, if you predict three subs that could easily sub IOW/R+L too then it's probably not all that alike to Glastonbury.

Chvrches have lost a step for sure, and I can see them coming back lower down on the same stage like so many other acts have. I don't see anything wrong with Catfish headlining the Other either, as they seem to suit the stage pretty well and offer an alternative to what's on the main stage.

Lily Allen has come back kinda small and coheadlined a festival with James so I think mid-Other is about right. You Me at Six also aren't as big as they once were and have never been much of a thing to be considered for Glasto either so I think they'd happily take an afternoon slot on the Other Stage. Blossoms, finally, played at 1pm on the Pyramid Stage last year and haven't grown at all so I think 4th down Other is more than fair.

Bastille not subbing is probably a fair point. I feel like they'll play because they're close with the festival and they did the Pilton Party in September I believe but yeah that might be a step too high.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

The War on Drugs point is intentionally meant to not be a clear one, because there are one or two or sometimes three Pyramid subs that either aren't big enough or are too big or something each year. As I said earlier, if you predict three subs that could easily sub IOW/R+L too then it's probably not all that alike to Glastonbury.

TBH by next year I reckon you could pretty easily swap Dua and TWOD. Dua will probably have a new album out by then which in theory giver her a boost. Plus if One Kiss is anything to go by (plus rumoured collabs with Major Lazer, Disclosure and Silk City due out this year) she could quite easily just be around the whole summer this year too.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Chvrches have lost a step for sure, and I can see them coming back lower down on the same stage like so many other acts have. I don't see anything wrong with Catfish headlining the Other either, as they seem to suit the stage pretty well and offer an alternative to what's on the main stage.

Lily Allen has come back kinda small and coheadlined a festival with James so I think mid-Other is about right. You Me at Six also aren't as big as they once were and have never been much of a thing to be considered for Glasto either so I think they'd happily take an afternoon slot on the Other Stage. Blossoms, finally, played at 1pm on the Pyramid Stage last year and haven't grown at all so I think 4th down Other is more than fair.

Bastille not subbing is probably a fair point. I feel like they'll play because they're close with the festival and they did the Pilton Party in September I believe but yeah that might be a step too high.

I agree with some of your points although I think Blossoms are increasing to grow.

I think like the other that The War on Drugs would play 3rd and Dua Lipa sub if anything.

Catfish I just don't think will play 3 times running on the Other stage, I think they'll be Pyramid 3rd myself as not sure they'll quite get the push I thought they might.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I agree with some of your points although I think Blossoms are increasing to grow.

I think like the other that The War on Drugs would play 3rd and Dua Lipa sub if anything.

Catfish I just don't think will play 3 times running on the Other stage, I think they'll be Pyramid 3rd myself as not sure they'll quite get the push I thought they might.

Nah I don't see how Blossoms are getting any bigger. They only seem to sell tickets and albums within Greater Manchester. Away from the North West this summer they''ve been billed below Interpol, James Bay and The Hunna and are subbing Tramlines on a par with Clean Bandit.

19 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH by next year I reckon you could pretty easily swap Dua and TWOD. Dua will probably have a new album out by then which in theory giver her a boost. Plus if One Kiss is anything to go by (plus rumoured collabs with Major Lazer, Disclosure and Silk City due out this year) she could quite easily just be around the whole summer this year too.

Dua Lipa is bigger than The War on Drugs now, for sure, but Katy Perry is undoubtedly bigger than The National as well. There's hella form for pop singers playing tea time on the 'Mid and rock bands playing an out of place sub slot too, so I don't think the next year for either artist matters.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Nah I don't see how Blossoms are getting any bigger. They only seem to sell tickets and albums within Greater Manchester. Away from the North West this summer they''ve been billed below Interpol, James Bay and The Hunna and are subbing Tramlines on a par with Clean Bandit.

Dua Lipa is bigger than The War on Drugs now, for sure, but Katy Perry is undoubtedly bigger than The National as well. There's hella form for pop singers playing tea time on the 'Mid and rock bands playing an out of place sub slot too, so I don't think the next year for either artist matters.

That's fair...maybe they'll be the Courteeners and continue like that.

I think Dua Lipa along with the many collaborations now and opening for the champions league the other week may be less accepting of take a too low slot by the time it came around. I don't think she's up herself or anything but may take the stance that she doesn't need to fest but will play it at a position acceptable to her. Whereas, I think Katy Perry seems quite down to earth and defo knew it would only help her at that stage accepting below a sub slot at Glastonbury.

The National are probably one of those with a 'following' though and asked for a certain level if they were to play.

First time. Stole a few that I thought were good shouts.

FRIDAY:

PYRAMID: Arctic Monkeys // Chvrches // Dua Lipa // Run DMC // Christine & The Queens // Declan McKenna // Sturgill Simpson // The Halle Orchestra

OTHER: Flume // Lily Allen // J Hus // Blossoms // Portugal. The Man // Pale Waves

WEST HOLTS: Bjork // Brockhampton // Young Fathers // Tash Sultana // Fantastic Negrito

PARK: Caribou // The Jesus & Mary Chain // Alvvays // St Paul & The Broken Bones

JOHN PEEL: Mura Masa // King Krule // Modest Mouse // The Horrors // Goat Girl

SATURDAY:

PYRAMID: Madonna // Childish Gambino // Janelle Monae // Fleet Foxes // Brian Wilson // Rex Orange County // Mulatu Astatke // Nadine Shah

OTHER: Catfish & The Bottlemen // Wolf Alice // The Vaccines // Beach House // IamDDB // Mist

WEST HOLTS: Hacienda Classical // Mount Kimbie // Chaka Khan // Toots & The Maytals // Ezra Collective

PARK: Jungle // Pete Tong & The Heritage Orchestra // Yaeji // Rolling Blackouts CF

JOHN PEEL: Ben Howard // The The // Jessie Ware // Dave // Alma

SUNDAY:

PYRAMID: The Cure // Bastille // David Byrne // Sean Dyche // Kamasi Washington // Rick Astley // The Comet Is Coming

OTHER: The Streets // The War On Drugs // Jorja Smith // James Bay // Courtney Barnett // Spoon

WEST HOLTS: Erykah Badu // Billy Ocean // Songhoy Blues // Kelela // Loyle Carner

PARK: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard // Django Django // Julia Holter // Jade Bird

JOHN PEEL: Grimes // Sigrid // Tom Misch // Superorganism // Car Seat Headrest

Edited by Sean Dyche

17 minutes ago, Sean Dyche said:

FRIDAY:

PYRAMID: Arctic Monkeys // Chvrches // Dua Lipa // Run DMC // Christine & The Queens // Declan McKenna // Sturgill Simpson // The Halle Orchestra

OTHER: Flume // Lily Allen // J Hus // Blossoms // Portugal. The Man // Pale Waves

WEST HOLTS: Bjork // Brockhampton // Young Fathers // Tash Sultana // Fantastic Negrito

PARK: Caribou // The Jesus & Mary Chain // Alvvays // St Paul & The Broken Bones

SATURDAY:

PYRAMID: Madonna // Childish Gambino // Janelle Monae // Fleet Foxes // Brian Wilson // Rex Orange County // Mulatu Astatke // Nadine Shah

OTHER: Catfish & The Bottlemen // Wolf Alice // The Vaccines // Beach House // IamDDB // Mist

WEST HOLTS: Hacienda Classical // Mount Kimbie // Chaka Khan // Toots & The Maytals // Ezra Collective

PARK: Jungle // Pete Tong & The Heritage Orchestra // Yaeji // Rolling Blackouts CF

SUNDAY:

PYRAMID: The Cure // Bastille // David Byrne // Sean Dyche // Kamasi Washington // Rick Astley // The Comet Is Coming

OTHER: The Streets // The War On Drugs // Jorja Smith // James Bay // Courtney Barnett // Spoon

WEST HOLTS: Erykah Badu // Billy Ocean // Songhoy Blues // Kelela // Loyle Carner

PARK: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard // Django Django // Julia Holter // Jade Bird

Artic Monkeys, Ben Howard and Grimes as Headliners would be incred, saturday i would be at pyramid from brian wilson to childish incred. i want this so bad

1 hour ago, Sean Dyche said:

FRIDAY:

SATURDAY:

SUNDAY:

My favourite prediction so far! 

Friday
Py: Stormzy, Disclosure, Iggy Pop, Christine & the Queens, Father John Misty, Declan McKenna
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Sufjan Stevens, Chvrches, The Wombats, Carly Rae Jepsen
WH: John Hopkins, Loyle Carner, Tom Misch
JP: Alabama Shakes, St. Vincent, Car Seat Headrest
Pa: My Bloody Valentine

Saturday
Py: Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Dua Lipa, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Billy Ocean, Kamasi Washington, Joan Armatrading
OS: The Chemical Brothers, Jorja Smith, Hot Chip, Friendly Fires, Everything Everything, Pale Waves, Fickle Friends
WH: Lauryn Hill, Chaka Khan, The John Butler Trio
JP: Lily Allen, Grimes, Charli xcx
Pa: Courtney Barnett

Sunday
Py: Fleetwood Mac, Sam Smith, The Specials, Kylie Minogue, Mura Masa, Greta Van Fleet, Lucy Rose
OS: The Streets, The War on Drugs, James Bay, Cage the Elephant, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes, Parquet Courts
WH: FKA Twigs, Jungle, Young Fathers
JP: The Vaccines, Editors, Sigrid
Pa: Caribou

59 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday
Py: Stormzy, Disclosure, Iggy Pop, Christine & the Queens, Father John Misty, Declan McKenna
OS: Catfish & the Bottlemen, Sufjan Stevens, Chvrches, The Wombats, Carly Rae Jepsen
WH: John Hopkins, Loyle Carner, Tom Misch
JP: Alabama Shakes, St. Vincent, Car Seat Headrest
Pa: My Bloody Valentine

Saturday
Py: Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Dua Lipa, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Billy Ocean, Kamasi Washington, Joan Armatrading
OS: The Chemical Brothers, Jorja Smith, Hot Chip, Friendly Fires, Everything Everything, Pale Waves, Fickle Friends
WH: Lauryn Hill, Chaka Khan, The John Butler Trio
JP: Lily Allen, Grimes, Charli xcx
Pa: Courtney Barnett

Sunday
Py: Fleetwood Mac, Sam Smith, The Specials, Kylie Minogue, Mura Masa, Greta Van Fleet, Lucy Rose
OS: The Streets, The War on Drugs, James Bay, Cage the Elephant, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes, Parquet Courts
WH: FKA Twigs, Jungle, Young Fathers
JP: The Vaccines, Editors, Sigrid
Pa: Caribou

Billy Ocean > YYY > Hot Chip > Vampire Weekend > Lauren Hil / Chemical Brothers 

That Saturday night, wow. 

Chems have played every four years (or less) since 1995 (possibly earlier - just going off Wikipedia) so I think there's a good chance of them returning, although it really does seem soon after last time and I agree that them on the Other Stage (as good as they are at headlining it) is getting a little stale. Think Pyramid sub would be ace, although when was the last time straight up electronic act played the Pyramid, especially so high up? Maybe I'm forgetting somebody really obvious or even a lot of acts, but has there been anybody since the time that Chemical Brothers headlined?

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Change of pace?  

I know what you mean.....but ditching the lightshow and just blasting the fuck out of everybody for an hour seems like a no lose situation.

They don't seem keen on subsisting on tunes alone though. Hasn't one of the Chemical Brothers left the live set up and been replaced on stage by their lighting designer?