2019 Stage Predictions

dentalplan

6 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Couldn't sleep so decided to make another poster. Not sure Ariana would headline but couldn't really think of anyone to fill her spot but with the strong subs I think she'd be fine (1975 to sub Glasto and coheadline R+L like Biffy did)

GLASTO.png

It would be good to see less of the same acts all the time. 

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think Ariana Grande is even close to being a headliner. I know she has been through the unthinkable and endeared herself to the nation but she has very few recognisable hits to the UK population.

I'm not sure about the second bit, she has 12 top 40 UK singles I think she'd be fine, but I still reckon sub would be the right slot for her. I kinda wanted someone a little less straight pop (Arinana has a lot of rnb influences in a lot of her stuff imo) and I don't think beyonce will have a new album out by then. If I didn't care about that I think Gaga is the obvious choice as she'll likely have a new album out by then.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Too big to headline, one might say.

FML this is gonna be stuck with me for a while isn't it....

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It would be good to see less of the same acts all the time. 

This is the nature of doing posters like this though. As you get closer to the time it's more clear who is going to be available to do it/who has new music coming out etc.. Plus I only have my limited knowledge of artists to go on so it'll obviously leaning towards my preferences anyway

Just now, Mattymooz said:

I'm not sure about the second bit, she has 12 top 40 UK singles I think she'd be fine, but I still reckon sub would be the right slot for her. I kinda wanted someone a little less straight pop (Arinana has a lot of rnb influences in a lot of her stuff imo) and I don't think beyonce will have a new album out by then. If I didn't care about that I think Gaga is the obvious choice as she'll likely have a new album out by then.

12 Top 40 singles? And she'd be playing about double that amount of songs, so she'd be digging out songs that didn't even hit #38 in the charts? I'll leave you to think about that.

The third down Pyramid slot seems a good one for pop stars, usually. Lily Allen, Jessie J, Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding have all played it so I think Grande would saddle into that fine enough.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

12 Top 40 singles? And she'd be playing about double that amount of songs, so she'd be digging out songs that didn't even hit #38 in the charts? I'll leave you to think about that.

The third down Pyramid slot seems a good one for pop stars, usually. Lily Allen, Jessie J, Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding have all played it so I think Grande would saddle into that fine enough.

I think Grande is bigger than all of those though (except maybe Lilly Allen at the time). I was expecting 18 ish songs, so like 14 (assuming the new album does well) that everyone knows and then some more obscure ones as fan favourites (her Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover, an extra song from her debut, her Cashmere Cat/Calvin harris collabs, if she brings Mac Miller out for The Way then they can do My Favourite Part too etc.)

Ed Sheeran only played 15 songs and I don't think most people would say I'm A Mess, Nancy Mulligan or Eraser are big hits (tho admittedly the hits he did play were a lot bigger)

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think Grande is bigger than all of those though (except maybe Lilly Allen at the time). I was expecting 18 ish songs, so like 14 (assuming the new album does well) that everyone knows and then some more obscure ones as fan favourites (her Somewhere Over The Rainbow cover, an extra song from her debut, her Cashmere Cat/Calvin harris collabs, if she brings Mac Miller out for The Way then they can do My Favourite Part too etc.)

Ed Sheeran only played 15 songs and I don't think most people would say I'm A Mess, Nancy Mulligan or Eraser are big hits (tho admittedly the hits he did play were a lot bigger)

Fairly certain that Take It Back cropped up as a spur-of-the-moment choice over I See Fire, which is just rather baffling.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

You think she's bigger than Katy Perry? All of those had many more recognisable tunes when they played 6pm on the Pyramid. I think you're way off with this one.

And yeah, they're allowed to chuck in a few album tracks for the fans but they're also not expected to include every song they've had that's reached the top 40. Most pop acts wouldn't have the time.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

You think she's bigger than Katy Perry? All of those had many more recognisable tunes when they played 6pm on the Pyramid. I think you're way off with this one.

And yeah, they're allowed to chuck in a few album tracks for the fans but they're also not expected to include every song they've had that's reached the top 40. Most pop acts wouldn't have the time.

If Katy Perry would have been massive if she had played during the Teenage Dream era, but she's fallen off so much since imo.

Like if we look Sam Smith he only has 9 top 40 singles and people were thinking he could headline

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

If Katy Perry would have been massive if she had played during the Teenage Dream era, but she's fallen off so much since imo.

Like if we look Sam Smith he only has 9 top 40 singles and people were thinking he could headline

Smith has 7 no. 1 singles and an album that sold 2m copies in this country... and people generally don't think he can headline!

Matty you're coming off like that guy who thought The Killers could come out and play Battle Born in full at the start of their set to the adulation of fans. :lol:

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Matty you're coming off like that guy who thought The Killers could come out and play Battle Born in full at the start of their set to the adulation of fans. :lol:

No one is that crazy surely....

But yeah I just looked up the sales figures for My Everything and they were like 1/5th of what I thought they were. I remember that album being everywhere but apparently I was wrong... Still think 3rd would be too low for her though

12 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I'm gonna take the fact people only have an issue with Ariana is a good thing and that the rest is pretty OK other than that?

Yeah it's okay, bar a few too-recent repeats. Incredibly youth-skewing though but if you don't know the acts they'd fill it in with then it's no biggie.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Badlands said:

There's probably at least 15 from that list that are absolutely nailed on to play. Swap Grande for 1975 and I reckon that'll be our headliners.

1975 had said for a while now they'd wanna headline R+L first. I think this way they can do what Foals have done previously, coheadline R+L and sub Glasto. Pretty sure it will be a more "urban" act for the last slot. Kendrick would be great but I'm guessing he will be too expensive, I don't expect Beyonce to be back by then, The Weeknd probably isn't big enough, neither is Ariana, if Lady Gaga is back then maybe? Doubt Glasto will book Kanye given the current circumstances, doubt they'd get someone like Calvin Harris to do it, Bruno probably isn't big enough either, GAmbino is probably too busy, doubt they'll go for Madonna if they have the Mac, Spice Girls reunion perhaps? Daft Punk would obviously be amazing but no way am I predicting that

Must admit that line up has just enough to keep me interested but not exciting at all.  As for ariana headlining I'd be very surprised and having had misfortune of seeing katy Perry and ed sheeren last 2 years id be elsewhere . But they pale in to insignificance compared to Ellie goulding probably the dullest live set I've ever seen in my life .

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Lol I forgot about this. Didn't he type out about 40 songs including all the Christmas tracks? Hahahah.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Lol I forgot about this. Didn't he type out about 40 songs including all the Christmas tracks? Hahahah.

Wait wasn't it you??

Just playin.

33 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Bruno Mars would be a big deal and worthy headliner act imo. I could be convinced about The Weeknd as well. The boy Glover is nowhere near headliner status however.

That is a cracking shout actually. Bruno Mars fits the bill perfectly, sadly. I can only hope he's blowing his touring beans this summer and not on the scene next June. Agree about the other two also, but The Weeknd would be a pretty awkward fit and not at all a spectacle for casuals.