Which artists on which stages?

paulwa

So now we know the Woods headliners and most of the other bands, where would you like to see the other bands placed? What would be a good running order for you? (based on what you also gauge about artist seniority from the website). My thoughts:

Woods headliners we know are: St. Vincent, Feist, Vampire Weekend
Woods headline support acts: Ezra Furman, Oh Sees, Hookworms

Garden headline: Jeff Tweedy, John Cale, Gruff Rhys
Garden headline support: Big Thief, Jonathan Wilson, Damien Jurado

Big Top headline: IDLES, Fat White Family, Titus Andronicus

My knowledge and attention span runs out there.

I can't see Hookworms on one of the outdoor stages, personally. I gather that their current set up has a lot of visuals/projections, so I'd imagine they'd be in the Big Top again.

Think I agree with your Garden Stage headliners. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Edited by shoebox

Had a bash at starting one off

Woods    
Vampire Weekend St Vincent Feist
Ezra Furman Oh Sees Ariel Pink
Mulatu Astatke Big Thief Omar Souleyman

Garden    
John Cale Fat White Family Jeff Tweedy
Julia Holter Gruff Rhys Titus Andronicus
Wild Billy Childish Josh T Pearson (Sandy) Alex G

Big Top    
IDLES Destroyer Hookworms

11 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Woods    

Garden    

Big Top    

I like it. You've gone for a bit of noisy and raucous on the Garden stage - controversial!

As much i love Destroyer i doubt he will be headlining any stage. I travelled from Glasgow to the Cluny2 in newcastle to see him on his last tour in December and there were less than 100 people there. 

I think Hookworms will do the late-ish Big Top slot once the Woods headliner has finished (same slot as POND last year).

Tweedy and Cale as Garden Stage headliners seem a good fit (might even be one still to be announced) 

2 hours ago, bobbyperu said:

As much i love Destroyer i doubt he will be headlining any stage. I travelled from Glasgow to the Cluny2 in newcastle to see him on his last tour in December and there were less than 100 people there. 

I think Hookworms will do the late-ish Big Top slot once the Woods headliner has finished (same slot as POND last year).

Tweedy and Cale as Garden Stage headliners seem a good fit (might even be one still to be announced) 

yeah there were about 30 people at Destroyer's gig in Brighton. they'd be about third down on Garden or Big Top..

4 hours ago, bobbyperu said:

Wow less than 100 people what a shame. No according to that definitely will not be headlining any stage. Would be perfect on the garden stage. 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:02 AM, Mash011 said:

Woods    

Garden    

Big Top    

I hope Oh Sees aren't downgraded to the Woods stage. Should be on the Garden like Fuzz or Ty Segall. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

I hope Oh Sees aren't downgraded to the Woods stage. Should be on the Garden like Fuzz or Ty Segall. 

I'm the opposite prefer to see them on the Woods to Garden, although they were very good there last time (is that a downgrade?)

Edited by 5co77ie
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, wolfamongwolves said:

I also feel oh sees are pretty much made for the garden stage. I personally think its definitely a downgrade being on the woods stage. Woods stage is pretty much like any other stage at any other festival.

It's an odd one. The Garden stage is certainly more special more of the time, but the absolutely top performances and "awesome" stage atmosphere I've appreciated has been at the Woods stage - Flaming Lips, Father John Misty, Patti Smith, Savages, Alabama Shakes. Regarding the Oh Sees, I saw them on the Garden stage last time, so I just want to see them somewhere else, bigger crowd, etc.

2 hours ago, paulwa said:

It's an odd one. The Garden stage is certainly more special more of the time, but the absolutely top performances and "awesome" stage atmosphere I've appreciated has been at the Woods stage - Flaming Lips, Father John Misty, Patti Smith, Savages, Alabama Shakes. Regarding the Oh Sees, I saw them on the Garden stage last time, so I just want to see them somewhere else, bigger crowd, etc.

It’s just a personal thing. I really don’t like the woods stage. When I’m watching a band there I could be at any festival. It’s just not special. I have seen a few bands on there that are more suited to that stage father John Misty being one. Do you think they would the oh sees would get a bigger crowd on there or would it just be a quarter full. I could not imagine them getting a huge crowd. 

1 hour ago, wolfamongwolves said:

It’s just a personal thing. I really don’t like the woods stage. When I’m watching a band there I could be at any festival. It’s just not special. I have seen a few bands on there that are more suited to that stage father John Misty being one. Do you think they would the oh sees would get a bigger crowd on there or would it just be a quarter full. I could not imagine them getting a huge crowd. 

Well I don't know what particular history EotR has with this but generally festivals that book bands to come back quite soon after a previous appearance will move them to a different slot to keep things fresh. After headlining the Garden stage last time they played in 2016 the only way they don't play an identical slot is if they get moved up to the Woods. Reckon they'd get a decent crowd, anyway.