TRNSMT Lineup 2019

49 minutes ago, rawzyj said:

ok in total from conversations on this forum and a number of bands have popped up. 

for the record i think catfish and the bottlemen are an acceptable headliner, but having them move up to headliners with 2 other first time headliners is why this line up is receiving such a bad reaction.

example - R&L have bumped up the 1975 to headliners, to assist ticket sales, they also booked Foo fighters. R&L have also been clever by previously having bands co headline with another band before being moved up to straight up headliners e.g. foals, fall out boy, etc. 

neither of these things have been done by trnsmt which is why it is recieving such a bad reaction, having catfish and the bottlemen healdine solo this year while pushing ezra to a co headliner with another headline act e.g foals, noel gallagher. would of worked, you would then need a decent sized standalone to be the "big name" of the festival, RHCP would of been perfect for this role. or even foo fighters ( yes i know they are doing summer sessions  but i think they are big enough to sell good tickets for both).

in regards to previous comments about ezra, i do believe its justified, he has been massively over booked in the uk, headlining TRNSMT, isle of wight, parklife, neighbourhood, and god knows how many other festivals, if you are a fan of him, their are a million places to see him. also the festivals he is headlining arent exactly selling well, example given of neighbourhood weekender selling out in a day last year but not being anywhere near sold out this year with ezra as headliner after 4 months, his day is also being outsold by richard ashcrofts sunday who is 3rd down on the trnsmt lineup. 

the line up is also to Diverse, they havent got enough one target audiences preferences to attract. e.g. a large amount of people who want to watch richard ashcroft, dmas etc on the saturday arent going to be interested in watching george ezra and jess glynne on the sunday, or stormzy and years and years on the friday. yes Gerry cinnamon is a big draw in Scotland, but for someone travelling up he alone isnt going to tempt someone up for the Friday when he seems to be everywhere this year. 

i think a lot of people going to the festival this year would be going regardless of the lineup, i also think you will see less people travelling distances because of the diversity of the line up not giving it enough pulling power to each genre, going up to Glasgow for a single day ticket from England as an example, £50 train return, £75 hotel, £50 day ticket, £50 spends. a number of people wont want to spend £200+ for a day of that line up.

to the original question, from acts available you wouldn't even have to change it that much. an example below.

friday 

Catfish and the bottlemen

Gerry Cinammon

DMA's 

miles kane

The Snuts

The Amazons.

Saturday

Red Hot Chilli peppers

Richard Ashcroft

Ian Brown

The Kooks

The Wombats

Sunday

George Ezra / Snow Patrol CO headline.

Bastille

Years and Years

Jess Glynne

Tom Grennan

Sam Fender.

All of these acts are available.

all i have done is change 1 headliner and added 2 lower acts and swapped a few around, for me that line up would sell miles more tickets.

Genuinely interested to hear peoples thoughts.

I get what you're saying and I agree about the whole 3 new headliners at once seems a lot. George Ezra is everywhere can't deny that but I do think u underrate his popularity cause of that Neighbourhood festival not selling well.

I'm not gonna pick apart all the changes you've made but will say that RHCP aren't doing any European dates so far (they're also dogshit live but that's another matter). You mentioned foals I think but as I've said they're doing swg3 in June (I'm going) and despite being way better than say a Bastille or whatever they just don't shift tickets as well for trsnmt's audience thats the sad reality. Believe me mate id love a  3 days of Foals, The Strokes and Noel but just isn't realistic I'm afraid. 

57 minutes ago, Threestripes said:

Worst site ever for a festival anywhere on the planet.

Whoever sanctioned that should have been sacked and booted in the baws.

Think the lineup was actually decent the last year (take out Calvin Harris) but the site had killed it already. Balado was an ideal venue was just so easy to get around etc.

3 hours ago, Threestripes said:

Do you know what boils my piss this is meant to be Scotland’s top festival and this is what they’ve come up with.

We need a titp sized festival that caters for all music genres it’s that simple.

As has been said, T isn’t happening and has been replaced. Get over it. Although this announcement is disappointing, they have catered for every type of music through this and the many summer sessions gigs. There really aren’t many other options this summer pal

I must be the only one that sees the potential with Scottish crowds and a camping festival. Amalgamate the summer sessions and Trnsmt and you have an amazing set of headliners plus decent support. Just don’t book ned acts, drop the slam tent and get TITP back. It can be brought back to its glory if they catter to the masses and do the simple thing by dropping the stuff that attracts the jobbers.

4 minutes ago, wishyboz6 said:

I must be the only one that sees the potential with Scottish crowds and a camping festival. Amalgamate the summer sessions and Trnsmt and you have an amazing set of headliners plus decent support. Just don’t book ned acts, drop the slam tent and get TITP back. It can be brought back to its glory if they catter to the masses and do the simple thing by dropping the stuff that attracts the jobbers.

DF will never do another big 80k+ person camping festival in Scotland again. I'm absolutely sure of it

19 minutes ago, wishyboz6 said:

Agree with everything except dropping the slam tent.

Just now, didinowanttohearthat said:

80k festivals don't just pop up from nowhere though. I notice everyone's raving about the last T lineup on twitter now but at the time I mind it was slated.

We didn’t know how lucky we were tbh.

Balado will never happen but could you imagine going back there next year?

The buzz would be unreal and I’d bet they’d shift a good whack of tickets even before the line up got announced.

Line ups were always slated since the dawn of Social Media. I joined this forum in December 2002,  and I'm sure people were even moaning when David Bowie got announced that year!

One thing for sure though,   T in the P, returned to Balado would sell out in a day.

Edited by Colfaedee
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colfaedee said:

One thing for sure though,   T in the P, returned to Balado would sell out in a day.

If they got it right and it was only a 50/60k it's possible. 

Someone mentioned about sessions and TRNSMT coming together but not every act is in Europe from early July until end of August.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

If they got it right and it was only a 50/60k it's possible. 

Someone mentioned about sessions and TRNSMT coming together but not every act is in Europe from early July until end of August.

That's not T though, that's a festival with 1/3 knocked off its capacity, with smaller headliners as a result. If it was the same weekend as TRNSMT is now it would near definitely be the same headliners too.

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

That's not T though, that's a festival with 1/3 knocked off its capacity, with smaller headliners as a result. If it was the same weekend as TRNSMT is now it would near definitely be the same headliners too.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be or that it would return as a festival on the same scale. I'm saying if they scaled it down and put a camping option on it could be possible. I'm with Mez that an 80k version wouldn't happen again but that doesn't mean it couldn't at all. Take R&L for a similar example, Reading has increased in size and stayed as it sells, the same acts are booked for Leeds which is lower and is probably surviving due to that...less camping area now etc.

3 hours ago, Threestripes said:

Hopefully someone else has the balls to do it

Serious question though because I don't know the answer - Aside from DF, is there another promoter with enough of a presence in Scotland and enough clout to even try a festival of that scale given how much of a financial risk it is and how much event management experience would be needed going in?

Ok I'm prepared to be shot down but among the more alternative acts touring around the time of TRNSMT without a Scottish date are Janelle Monae, New Order, Jpegmafia, Kraftwerk, Four Tet, Vince Staples, Idles, Nils Frahm, Chance the Rapper, Yaeji, Brockhampton, Lizzo, Kelly Lee Owen, Kate Tempest, Ross From Friends and Annie Mac. In the future if there's space surely a second stage/tent for acts like these would be a big step to help diversify the lineup/crowd a little? 

Y’all need to realise that what you like clearly isn’t commercially viable for a major festival, at least in Scotland/northern England. I actually thought the succession of folded fests, poor sales for major gigs in general up there, the way TITP gave way to pop and the way TRNSMT is now doing the same would’ve been nuff of an indicator.

Get behind smaller festivals that you do like the look of or just do all this again the same time next year.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, wishyboz6 said:

As much as I love techno and would want it there for variety, it attracts absolute reprobates so would have to be ditched. 

It’s more the edm djs that attracts the throbbers 

Slam and the likes of the palm stage we’re magic mind we even had Arcadia one year.

well have to agree to disagree mate 

10 hours ago, incident said:

Serious question though because I don't know the answer - Aside from DF, is there another promoter with enough of a presence in Scotland and enough clout to even try a festival of that scale given how much of a financial risk it is and how much event management experience would be needed going in?

PCL tried "Indian Summer" but it was of Electric Fields kind of scale (6k?) and didn't return after 2 editions (from memory 2006 and 2007).  Not sure if that was due to sales or it just not being worth the hassle. 

Regarding TRNSMT 2019, the fact that the headliners have been plucked from one day of the 2017 line up indicates there wasn't a great deal of appetite to shake things up, and there wasn't an obvious "credible" rock act available this year (no Radiohead or AM) to bolt on.  The line up is horrible IMO but I accept some folks arguments that teenagers and early 20s punters may be satisfied.  2 things of interest are: i) Florence apparently choosing to knock TRNSMT back - why was this? and ii)  Stormzy as headliner - did he demand this? - Glastonbury can afford to "ordain" Stormzy as they don't need to worry about ticket sales.

Edited by Johndenis

10 hours ago, incident said:

Yes.  But why repeat the exercise of others and risk it when one-dayers are best for larger scale music events, or a series of gigs like Regular's Summer Night.  TRNSMT is perfect for Glasgow as a non-camping 3-dayer.  I know it's unpopular to say, but for its target audience, on the day, it is a good line-up.  It does nothing for me, but I'm not that audience.