TRNSMT Lineup 2019

14 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Liam Gallagher never had the years to be in the same boat, but Stereophonics is a fair shout. I think they'd have subbed if it was at three days though.

Liam Gallagher was a sub at L/R last year. He's not got any bigger or better :) I guess it all depends on who TRNSMT can afford out of who is available. Prodigy wouldn't surprise me. They wouldn't get me there either. I don't think there's many bands that would TBH but then again DF have pulled off Radiohead and Queen so far so maybe they'll surprise me again.

4 hours ago, devilman said:

Liam Gallagher was a sub at L/R last year. He's not got any bigger or better :) I guess it all depends on who TRNSMT can afford out of who is available. Prodigy wouldn't surprise me. They wouldn't get me there either. I don't think there's many bands that would TBH but then again DF have pulled off Radiohead and Queen so far so maybe they'll surprise me again.

He released his album after that and has sold a huge amount of tickets. No way the Prodigy are headlining TRNSMT especially as it's back to 3 days.

Not sure you need to be any bigger,  if he'd have done R&L this year instead of last he'd have co-headlined it minimum. He could comfortably be a choice for TRNSMT if they wanted him.

I'm pretty sure The Prodigy won't get asked to headline.....there is no way they could sell 50k off of their name fornone gig now 

23 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Not sure you need to be any bigger,  if he'd have done R&L this year instead of last he'd have co-headlined it minimum. He could comfortably be a choice for TRNSMT if they wanted him.

I'm pretty sure The Prodigy won't get asked to headline.....there is no way they could sell 50k off of their name fornone gig now 

He literally headlined TRNSMT this year...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've passed some info on to Neil about this and TITP, one side of it isn't correct clearly so the 1st part I was told there may be confusion over but the bigger picture would still relate. I'll see what Neil says. I got talking to a guy who has done photography work/work with screens at festivals and knows people within DF concerts. Guy from Glasgow...worth mentioning it, seemed genuine.

11 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I've passed some info on to Neil about this and TITP, one side of it isn't correct clearly so the 1st part I was told there may be confusion over but the bigger picture would still relate. I'll see what Neil says. I got talking to a guy who has done photography work/work with screens at festivals and knows people within DF concerts. Guy from Glasgow...worth mentioning it, seemed genuine.

What's the scoop? Don't be coy now Gaz.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That sounds fair enough. Seems like something they could well be working towards so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out right.

I don't think TRNSMT will be getting binned any time soon either way. If TITP comes back then I reckon it'll go down the R&L route and market mainly at a much younger audience with a lot of RnB and dance type acts, probably Calvin Harris headlining it every second or third year. TRNSMT would go down the route of basically being a Scottish version of BST which it already sort of is.

7 hours ago, danz026 said:

I don't think TRNSMT will be getting binned any time soon either way. If TITP comes back then I reckon it'll go down the R&L route and market mainly at a much younger audience with a lot of RnB and dance type acts, probably Calvin Harris headlining it every second or third year. TRNSMT would go down the route of basically being a Scottish version of BST which it already sort of is.

Definitely wouldn’t, considering a big player in the rebrand/relocation was to move away from that crowd and the tragedies that often came with it. TRNSMT clearly isn’t an unqualified success either, given that it generally has as many ticket offers as it has sellouts.

Would expect it to be more or less the same majority-indie fest they’ve built here. I’m sure if the bands who had sellout days played a new event then people would go regardless of it being outside of Glasgow. I would probably agree that they should keep the TRNSMT name if they did set up a camping fest but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Definitely wouldn’t, considering a big player in the rebrand/relocation was to move away from that crowd and the tragedies that often came with it. TRNSMT clearly isn’t an unqualified success either, given that it generally has as many ticket offers as it has sellouts.

Would expect it to be more or less the same majority-indie fest they’ve built here. I’m sure if the bands who had sellout days played a new event then people would go regardless of it being outside of Glasgow. I would probably agree that they should keep the TRNSMT name if they did set up a camping fest but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

So you reckon the Glasgow Green event will be getting binned?

There seems to be 3 options here:

1) Status quo, but with the downside of no major camping festivals being held in Scotland

2) Bin what's currently referred to as TRNSMT, set up a camping festival in Balado/Strathallan/somewhere else, either rebrand as TITP or keep the TRNSMT name or call it something else

3) Have both TITP as a camping festival and TRNSMT as a non-camping, day ticket focused indie festival.

Honestly I'd be shocked if the Glasgow event is binned, so I think it's either going to be option 1 or 3.

1 minute ago, danz026 said:

So you reckon the Glasgow Green event will be getting binned?

There seems to be 3 options here:

1) Status quo, but with the downside of no major camping festivals being held in Scotland

2) Bin what's currently referred to as TRNSMT, set up a camping festival in Balado/Strathallan/somewhere else, either rebrand as TITP or keep the TRNSMT name or call it something else

3) Have both TITP as a camping festival and TRNSMT as a non-camping, day ticket focused indie festival.

Honestly I'd be shocked if the Glasgow event is binned, so I think it's either going to be option 1 or 3.

They already have the capacity to use Glasgow Green for other gigs. Maybe ones that'd sell better. TRNSMT might be the only place in the UK where you're gonna get a pretty full-on indie rock lineup but if they took The Killers, Arctic Monkeys and Liam Gallagher to another field in Scotland this summer then the crowds would've showed up there. I doubt there's any major attachment from fans to the site itself.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They already have the capacity to use Glasgow Green for other gigs. Maybe ones that'd sell better. TRNSMT might be the only place in the UK where you're gonna get a pretty full-on indie rock lineup but if they took The Killers, Arctic Monkeys and Liam Gallagher to another field in Scotland this summer then the crowds would've showed up there. I doubt there's any major attachment from fans to the site itself.

My point is that you could make an absolute fortune by keeping those acts in Glasgow and putting Calvin and his mates in a Perthshire field with tens of thousands of teenage eccie swallowers.

1 minute ago, danz026 said:

My point is that you could make an absolute fortune by keeping those acts in Glasgow and putting Calvin and his mates in a Perthshire field with tens of thousands of teenage eccie swallowers.

I know that's your point, but it's not going to happen. The boss of TRNSMT/TITP has bemoaned the number of kids going along to T to get pilled up and fight and it even influenced the direction of what TRNSMT is. In fact, he has even said that if the camping aspect was to return that it'd be geared towards older audiences (same as he said about TRNSMT - I know Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian aren't necessarily for older audiences but I get what he means).

If he thought it wise just to make a separate indie festival and keep the dance music going then he'd be running an event right now with Harris, Guetta, Angello and the gang, but I imagine the health and safety risks and the struggle to source sponsorship would make it so that they can't make a fortune.

50 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I know that's your point, but it's not going to happen. The boss of TRNSMT/TITP has bemoaned the number of kids going along to T to get pilled up and fight and it even influenced the direction of what TRNSMT is. In fact, he has even said that if the camping aspect was to return that it'd be geared towards older audiences (same as he said about TRNSMT - I know Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian aren't necessarily for older audiences but I get what he means).

If he thought it wise just to make a separate indie festival and keep the dance music going then he'd be running an event right now with Harris, Guetta, Angello and the gang, but I imagine the health and safety risks and the struggle to source sponsorship would make it so that they can't make a fortune.

Eh, I'd argue that drunks and coke sniffers are significantly more likely to get into fights than pill users. Also I'm not sure you're ever going to get older audiences at a camping festival in general, not many people my age (23) love the idea of a weekend camping in the mud, although personally I just did Reading and am not opposed to doing it again.

I think the only way to pull off a massive camping festival these days, other than maybe Glasto, is to appeal the teenage generation, and the only way to do that is to pull a R&L and pack the lineup with rap artists, dance acts and landfill indie bands. You might get older people going on day tickets, but if that's the case you may as well just stick with the BST-esque TRNSMT.

3 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Eh, I'd argue that drunks and coke sniffers are significantly more likely to get into fights than pill users. Also I'm not sure you're ever going to get older audiences at a camping festival in general, not many people my age (23) love the idea of a weekend camping in the mud, although personally I just did Reading and am not opposed to doing it again.

I think the only way to pull off a massive camping festival these days, other than maybe Glasto, is to appeal the teenage generation, and the only way to do that is to pull a R&L and pack the lineup with rap artists, dance acts and landfill indie bands. You might get older people going on day tickets, but if that's the case you may as well just stick with the BST-esque TRNSMT.

I didn't mean in conjunction but point taken.

TRNSMT is much closer lineup-wise to R+L than BST. The latter would be a terrible camping festival because it's targeted at middle-aged folk that don't know/care when they're getting fleeced, whereas the "indie landfill bands" and even some of the rap artists from R+L cross over with TRNSMT. They say it's aimed at an older audience but not as dramatically as Waters and Clapton. If it's the likes of The Killers and Liam Gallagehr and Arctic Monkeys that you feel won't appeal to people wanting to camp then there are a few dozen festivals around Europe that suggest otherwise.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That sounds fair enough. Seems like something they could well be working towards so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out right.

The detail wrong was that TRNSMT won't be back next year which obvs it is on sale but there could be confusion to actually mean 2019 will be the final one meaning 2020 could still happen. 

We'll see but I very much expect them to look at Reading's Kendrick day and try and model to that. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them doing a small one where the headliner size becomes what a sub is.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I didn't mean in conjunction but point taken.

TRNSMT is much closer lineup-wise to R+L than BST. The latter would be a terrible camping festival because it's targeted at middle-aged folk that don't know/care when they're getting fleeced, whereas the "indie landfill bands" and even some of the rap artists from R+L cross over with TRNSMT. They say it's aimed at an older audience but not as dramatically as Waters and Clapton. If it's the likes of The Killers and Liam Gallagehr and Arctic Monkeys that you feel won't appeal to people wanting to camp then there are a few dozen festivals around Europe that suggest otherwise.

Mad Cool, Benicassim, Rock Werchter and the like are full of 20-something Brits like myself. I went to FIB last year to see Kasabian/RHCP/TheWeeknd/Foals etc and didn't feel out of place at all. The entire campsite was full of Brits/Irish and mostly 21-25 whereas Reading is full of 16-19 year olds. The slightly older crowd with a bit more cash behind them go abroad for festivals for two reasons, the first is the weather, camping in 30 degree heat isn't fun, but it's much better than camping in the British rain. The second is set times. European style overnight festivals are great because it's like being on a piss up holiday where you're on the beach all day but instead of clubbing at night you can see some awesome live bands.

In a few years when the current R&L going cohort are old enough to be going to Benicassim, the Spanish festivals will book the acts that R&L are booking now.