TRNSMT Lineup 2019

20 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Social media is awash with people that were there saying the city centre was a war zone yesterday.

Maybe ticket sales are better but that’s what happens when you cater for pissed up under 16s.

It is what it is now but hopefully next year they can do one of the days for a older crowd and the other 2 mixed.

Friday-Gerry Cinnamon/Capaldi

Saturday  Noel/Fatboy slim

Sunday Kasabian/courteeners

With a sprinkling of twodoor cinema club happy Monday’s Tame impala and sleeper.

Edited by Threestripes

Sold-out weekend despite everyone's qualms about the line-up. At the end of the day TRNSMT sells and will be successful because it's in Glasgow and the crowd will be up for anything. They could call it "MWI Festival" and just play GBX all day and it would probably sell-out twice as fast as any headliner.

Can't look past the choice of George Ezra and Stormzy as headliners seeming to have a very emperors new clothes type vibe. Especially when both were massively eclipsed by the biggest draws of the weekend being Gerry Cinnamon and Lewis Capaldi.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, Jonesy1 said:

Was going to complain about the average age being 13, but never queued at the bar once. Big Calvin headlining within the next couple of years is probably inevitable at this point. 

Suppose they’ve found their audience that’ll sell it out every year.

The thing is if they didn't have 5 days last year then the first weekend would have sold out too probably. Liam and AM sold out well before this did and the sales from weekend two would have probably moved over to that Stereophonics day. Interesting to see what they do but booking bands like Killers/AM etc again should be on the cards if not cheaper, easy sell out headliners aren't about

On 7/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, Comfy Bean said:

Fat boy slim into Paolo  Nutini would do for me next year.

Closing set like how IOW did this year would be good. Chemical Brothers maybe for a tester dance headline, just put gerry under them and i'm sure it will be alright.

23 hours ago, Paulk2904 said:

Assuming summer sessions does well i can see the 1975 headlining a day next year. 

Noel G must also be in the frame. 

I don't think Noel will be returning to scotland until 2021 after calling it a third world country to be honest. Maybe if its a late announcement but can't see it too soon myself.

I went along on Saturday after something of a last minute decision to buy a ticket and had a belter of a day. I’d read reactions from Friday around “war zones” in the surrounding streets so feared the worst from the clientele. Took us about 40mins to get in (we arrived at 12:15, Templeton Building entrance) but apart from witnessing a ridiculous amount of underage drinking during what seemed an inappropriate school fashion show, there wasn’t much to report 

Managed to see a good few bands across the day on all 3 stages. Despite how young the crowd felt around the festival, it never felt like that while watching music bizarrely. At the Main Stage, we chilled near the Sound Desk for most of the acts we saw and the crowd seemed like a good mix of ages. Nobody off their face or dressed like they were about to go on Junior Love Island. I don’t think I saw many of these types at the King or Queen Tuts stages all day either. I suspect they all pushed into the front circle or spent the day at the Smirnoff Stage.

Sigrid was a proper highlight. The clouds had properly cleared for the first time in the day as she started her set and it was just 45mins of pure pop in the sun. The crowd were well up for it too and the 1-2 punch of Strangers and Don’t Feel Like Crying were proper singalong moments.

The crowd for Bastille were an interesting bunch. One lad randomly walked up to me a few songs in as he saw we were singing along and went “Here, I hate Bastille. I’m only here for Catfish so I’m gonna stand here and boo them so you’re gonna hate them too”. He stayed true to his word and booed loudly throughout the entirety of the next 2 songs before he got bored and moved down the crowd a bit to try the same act on someone else. A bit weird given the crowd seemed really into it where we were. Another few lads nearby just chanted the “eh eh oh eh oh” bit from Pompeii repeatedly in between every song, thinking they were the funniest folk on the planet. They were a definite highlight of the day for us, despite the booing and hilarity.

I don’t know if it was just me but I felt the crowd was noticeably quieter during Catfish & the Bottlemen. We practically walked straight to the sound desk as they were coming on stage and I even managed to get to the urinals, water point, bar and back in the space of 1 song. I suspect that a lot of the young scene who’d hit it too early before arriving left following Bastille (who we struggled to even get to the Sound Desk for!).

I had a great day in the sun with my mates.  Think we saw about 10 bands in all across the day without a dud in there. Can’t ask for much more in the sun in Glasgow!

Yes, the festival clearly has problems and needs to do something about the underage drinking problem but I struggle to see what they can do. Is an age limit the answer? Possibly, but it’s likely to impact ticket sales. Stricter stewarding on people turning up under the influence? Probably needed, but where do you draw the line? It’s a really tricky one but I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle it.

39 minutes ago, Stuart1000 said:

I don’t know if it was just me but I felt the crowd was noticeably quieter during Catfish & the Bottlemen. We practically walked straight to the sound desk as they were coming on stage and I even managed to get to the urinals, water point, bar and back in the space of 1 song. I suspect that a lot of the young scene who’d hit it too early before arriving left following Bastille (who we struggled to even get to the Sound Desk for!).

Weird. This reportedly happened at Citadel too. Are Catfish completely out of their depth headlining, or are Bastille being lowballed?

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Weird. This reportedly happened at Citadel too. Are Catfish completely out of their depth headlining, or are Bastille being lowballed?

I think its more that Bastille have the pop crowd as well and while not as many people will buy tickets for them, like their dedicated fans will not at all be interested in catfish - but everyone likes a bit of Pompeii and the other popular ones. We were talking to people on the train after Citadel who went to BST and they had all heard of bastille but none of Catfish. I think catfish have got the fanbase to be headlining but to be honest, if it was the other way round I reckon most of the catfish fans would stick around for Bastille as its like a one way crossover situation I guess. Catfish aren't a brand new headliner exactly and their past two London festivals I went to had everyone staying (community + ape) at a much higher capacity, without an act like Bastille which will attract pure pop types. Bastille's placings across the board have been bizarre though, reckon their Reading set will be very busy and honestly if they were on the main stage could probably amount to a similar size as Foos just because their music has a good bit of crossover while not isolating either genre's fans.

I ended up going on the Sunday as I had a Ticketmaster voucher meaning that the ticket only cost me £37. It was such a great day to be honest. I was at the barrier in the centre, chatted to a lot of people & sang all day. Even though George Ezra was the headliner, Lewis Capaldi’s set felt like the headline show but everyone that I saw was great that day. Didn’t expect such a great show from The Wombats & Tom Grennan. Wasn’t quite a fan of Emeli Sande’s set but her music isn’t for me. 

Everyone at the gig was really friendly par from one of the girls during George Ezra’s set who kept on filming me next to her friend cause I was singing & dancing quite a bit. That really pissed me off. Why’s it weird to be singing & dancing at gigs these days it seems? Let me enjoy the gig & go really over the top for the official camera when it was filming me haha

2 hours ago, gordo1701 said:

Everyone at the gig was really friendly par from one of the girls during George Ezra’s set who kept on filming me next to her friend cause I was singing & dancing quite a bit. That really pissed me off. Why’s it weird to be singing & dancing at gigs these days it seems? Let me enjoy the gig & go really over the top for the official camera when it was filming me haha

This has happened to me quite a few times but I can’t help but feel that this is a recent thing. What would drive you to take your phone out to record a stranger having a good time at a pop concert? What would you achieve from that? A sense of accomplishment? A few Likes and Retweets if you upload it to Twitter? A couple of hundred YouTube views? Because I know what I got from it - absolutely nothing but putting a dampener on my spirits. People go to concerts and festivals to have a good time. Let people enjoy themselves in whatever way they want, be that singing their hearts out, dancing like their drunk uncle at a rave or standing back and enjoying the music. Just because someone’s definition of having a good time looks funny to you, that doesn’t give you permission to record them and upload it for the world to see. 

That video is now out with my control. It could be on the Internet right now, in a Whatsapp group chat somewhere or receiving hundreds of Likes on Twitter and I wouldn’t even know. All because, god forbid, I was singing along and dancing at a pop concert. I’ve seen more and more of this sort of video on social media over the last few years, of people singing and dancing at festivals and gigs. Why do we find it entertaining? It’s usually “look at this fat man jumping around!” or “here’s a straight man who knows every word at the Lady Gaga concert!”. If someone is enjoying themselves, let them enjoy it. They are not there to be a source of entertainment or ridicule for you and your friends. Just because you can’t or haven’t experienced that sort of enjoyment in life doesn’t mean you need to ruin it for others.

Let people enjoy themselves how they want to. Gigs and festivals should be a safe space to be yourself and enjoy them. Please don’t ruin that for all of us for the sake of 15mins of social media fame.

9 hours ago, Stuart1000 said:

This has happened to me quite a few times but I can’t help but feel that this is a recent thing. What would drive you to take your phone out to record a stranger having a good time at a pop concert? What would you achieve from that? A sense of accomplishment? A few Likes and Retweets if you upload it to Twitter? A couple of hundred YouTube views? Because I know what I got from it - absolutely nothing but putting a dampener on my spirits.

I think it just went on their snapchat. It is definitely a more recent thing but I have noticed that when anyone shares something like that on Twitter there's more people against the video than for it. I once saw that happen to this guy dancing at Kasabian & the guy uploaded it trying to make fun of him but everyone just went on how he's obviously having a better time than the uploader. It's not going to ruin my mood that much as I know I'm having a better time than them 

Was there the whole weekend.  Great time, however, from my perspective the quality of the line-up was terrible and the sound from the stage meant bass was overpowering instrumental background.  Was near the front for Lewis Capaldi, couldn't see him from the sea of phones-what is the actual point of that.  TRNSMT should be getting headliners like Biffy Clyro and Muse.  I was dreading Stormzy and actually thought he was outstanding.  Tom Grennan, The Dunts, The Kooks, FONTAINES DC and The Amazons were quality, the rest were very poor.  Catfish and the bottlemen are not a headlining act, the human crush was ridiculous, idiots trying to get to the front.  Would I go again, yes.  Only for a day.