TRNSMT Lineup 2019

On 6/22/2019 at 8:22 AM, Red Day said:

It was going down the pan at Balado. Crowd numbers were reducing due , as DM says, to the incompetence of the organisers. Moving it to strathallan was just the final nail in its coffin.  Absolute waste of a once great festival. 

2014 sold well, it was packed. Even 2015 did ok at strathallan numbers wise- then when people realised the new venue was shite they didn't go back the next year. 

Didn't 2014 actually end up selling out? It was exactly the sort of lineup T in the Park should have always been putting out, and the previous two years were a step back, despite me wildly enjoying them. Especially 2013, which I loved.

2016 looked great, but they were fucked because of the year before. They picked a shocking venue because they never gave it their due diligence.

Ended up getting a George Ezra. The Amazons ended up being the final push, when I discovered they're fucking brilliant.

Going back to what someone said about Kendal Calling, it's definitely more suited to folk who are disappointed with TRNSMT and very easy to get to. Couple of hours on a bus and a reasonable price for the lineup you're getting. I'm taking my nephew to it and much looking forward to spending a weekend in lots of mud.

2 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Going back to what someone said about Kendal Calling, it's definitely more suited to folk who are disappointed with TRNSMT and very easy to get to. Couple of hours on a bus and a reasonable price for the lineup you're getting. I'm taking my nephew to it and much looking forward to spending a weekend in lots of mud.

Can’t make that weekend because Streetrave’s 30 th birthday is on the Saturday.

Can you recommend any other festivals mate?

Was supposed to be going to cool brittania that the kind of line up am right into but can’t get time off work.

4 hours ago, Threestripes said:

Can you recommend any other festivals mate?

Belladrum. It's great. Varied line up and a proper boutique festival with lots going on besides the music. Not a milked cash cow yet. It's the week before Bloodstock so I'm out for the foreseeable as Bloodstock is ace, but you kinda have to like heavy to get anything out of that experience. A lot of my friends do Bella every year regardless of who is on, they've never had a bad one yet and it always sells out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Didn't 2014 actually end up selling out? It was exactly the sort of lineup T in the Park should have always been putting out, and the previous two years were a step back, despite me wildly enjoying them. Especially 2013, which I loved.

2016 looked great, but they were fucked because of the year before. They picked a shocking venue because they never gave it their due diligence.

Ended up getting a George Ezra. The Amazons ended up being the final push, when I discovered they're fucking brilliant.

2014 didn’t come close to selling out.  The crowd numbers were dwindling for a few years. Think that was a big factor in moving to a venue with a smaller capacity.  

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

2014 didn’t come close to selling out.  The crowd numbers were dwindling for a few years. Think that was a big factor in moving to a venue with a smaller capacity.  

It might not have sold out but it was defo busy. Is there anyway to actually see official attendances does anyone know?

No way to know the exact ticket sales and as it's a private company/event they dont need to say, 2014 did not sell out, but a lot of day tickets were punted late on.

How they do this is a bit of a grey art... an example is:

* venue capacity is 90,000
* reserve 5,000 for workers/band
* try to sell 85,000
* start selling only 40,000 tickets
* if it's slow you can say you sold all of the tickets, but only put half on sale
* if it's selling well then put another 10,000 on the market
* rinse & repeat until you stop selling or hit capacity
* you can then "claim you sold all the tickets", as might have only had half of them on sale and you "sold all the ones you had on sale" not the venue capacity

ta, D

4 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

It might not have sold out but it was defo busy. Is there anyway to actually see official attendances does anyone know?

I went to T almost every year and it wasn’t overly busy compared to other years

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

up until 2011 it was a sell out was it not? 

I seem to remember there was a council document submitted by DF pre 2016 (after the 2015 organisational shambles) and it listed some attendances. 

It used to sell very well and there were years where it sold out in minutes. Sadly DF took people for granted and seemed to give the impression they felt they could put on the same shite year after year and people would still go.  A lot of regulars stopped going and some of the younger crowd didn’t have the same desire to go back year after year. Crowds got smaller and moving to strathalllan was their idea of running a smaller festival on the same lines as T with the same name. Sadly the site was a shambles and a lot of people spent a lot of their weekend in the campsite.  I don’t know if there is the appetite for a large camping festival in Scotland these days. 

14 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Is there anyway to actually see official attendances does anyone know?

I doubt it considering they were claiming sell outs online as the festival opened despite you still being able to buy day and weekend tickets. They never released the real sales figures or they'd have exposed themselves as the liars they are. The last year to properly sell out before the festival opened was 2011. No wonder, I still look at that line up and wonder if it was actually run by the same people who booked 2012. I remember the days just as online ordering was kicking off where we would all be at a computer AND on the phone and if you got a ticket it was proper jumping for joy moments. Then you'd see if your pals got and if one hadn't you'd all scour eBay and selling sites on their behalf for the next few months. Geoff Ellis managed to fuck all that up almost overnight.

God i'm glad i didn't bother for this, Lewis Capaldi has to be what like a quarter of the price of Snow Patrol. Pretty absurd that this is a suitable replacement in my eyes but i'm sure the crowd will eat them up.

42 minutes ago, gfa said:

God i'm glad i didn't bother for this, Lewis Capaldi has to be what like a quarter of the price of Snow Patrol. Pretty absurd that this is a suitable replacement in my eyes but i'm sure the crowd will eat them up.

I'd love to know on what planet that this isn't a suitable replacement. He's absolutely massive in Scotland, and everywhere else for that matter, and it's a last minute thing. I'd say they've done pretty well. He'll be around that point if he plays the next year. Only thing that'd stop him headlining is not having the material to do so.

11 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I'd love to know on what planet that this isn't a suitable replacement. He's absolutely massive in Scotland, and everywhere else for that matter, and it's a last minute thing. I'd say they've done pretty well. He'll be around that point if he plays the next year. Only thing that'd stop him headlining is not having the material to do so.

Completely different act, Snow Patrol are an established act with a huge back catalog and also are the heaviest act (not that its a heavy day at all) and would attract a completely different crowd really of much older fans than Lewis. I think they should have been replaced with someone like the Libertines maybe for example - a much more established act or someone along those lines anyway not a pop singer. I'm sure some people are very happy but those people will mostly be the people who don't care about snow patrol at all.

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Completely different act, Snow Patrol are an established act with a huge back catalog and also are the heaviest act (not that its a heavy day at all) and would attract a completely different crowd really of much older fans than Lewis. I think they should have been replaced with someone like the Libertines maybe for example - a much more established act or someone along those lines anyway not a pop singer. I'm sure some people are very happy but those people will mostly be the people who don't care about snow patrol at all.

Libertines would mean fuck all to people going to see a day headlined by George Ezra and tbh their stock has never been lower. Capaldi is huge atm and probs cheap too it makes so much sense to book him.

Sunday day tickets are sold out btw I've just seen. Ezra not such a bad booking after all then eh. 

Lewis is a local artist, who has a growing fan base and a high single. From a business stand point, he would easily bring in more fans while his star power is at this point. Also as he is based just outside of Glasgow he would be cheaper to book and accommodate than other artists. Especially with only a couple of weeks until the festival begins.

Also Sunday day tickets have now sold out, so you can't say that the booking did not work in their favour.