TRNSMT Lineup 2019

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

The line up for me is awful but I’m not in the demographic they’re aiming for. It’ll sell ok to teenagers and maybe those in early 20s but may struggle further than that. I’d hazard a guess 2 for 1 tickets for each day will become available in July. DF have catered for my age group with The Cure and FF at Summer Sessions and the gigs in Kelvingrove and Edinburgh.  I can see why they’ve gone with the trnsmt line up though. I’ll be at the Cure, Teenage Fanclub, The National and probably Primal Scream. 

Totally agree with this, as i said in an earlier post, give the young uns their day out, there is such a great choice over all this summer for all age groups

7 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Strokes were second on the bill on the second stage few years ago at TITP before SHM. Don’t really think most bands are that bothered about where they appear. As long as they’re paid and get a boost in sales of their music they’ll be quite happy. If you were to ask the target audience about the strokes, I don’t think that many would have heard of them. It’s probably for the best they’re not on this years bill.

They do appear to want to headline these days tbh. They don't seem to play lower than that. So I don't think they'd sub.

If they DID though, they wouldn't give a shit who it was behind.

This is yet another example of someone just not accepting that a band deserves to be at the top of a bill, and another doesn't.

27 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Strokes were second on the bill on the second stage few years ago at TITP before SHM. Don’t really think most bands are that bothered about where they appear. As long as they’re paid and get a boost in sales of their music they’ll be quite happy. If you were to ask the target audience about the strokes, I don’t think that many would have heard of them. It’s probably for the best they’re not on this years bill.

Who are the target audience? I'm gonna assume you mean around 16-25 but suggesting *most* 16-25 year old/generally young music fans won't have even heard of the Strokes is strange. Add to that the fact we're talking about them compared to Catfish, a band making music in a genre in which the Strokes are undoubtedly one of the most influential acts in, it becomes pretty patronising. Of course young indie fans are likely to have heard of The Strokes.

Edited by The Martini Police

10 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Who would you have booked this year?

Mate love how your trying to be positive about this line up but we’ve went from a rock and indie festival to a capital fm summertime ball in the space of 2 years.

Don’t tell me if the likes of Muse or RHCP couldn’t be pencilled in for a year in advance.

I genuinely don't get how people can't get the shift in music that requires festivals to book lineups like this. Comparing it to Summertime Ball shows a separation from the reality of the way it is right now.

This isn't about blind defending. The only ones blind here are the ones blind to what a major festival is now, and why there aren't many that cater to them anymore, if any.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Threestripes said:

Mate love how your trying to be positive about this line up but we’ve went from a rock and indie festival to a capital fm summertime ball in the space of 2 years.

Don’t tell me if the likes of Muse or RHCP couldn’t be pencilled in for a year in advance.

Muse are doing the san siro 2 times over that weekend. Also looking at their tour seems to me they might not have been able to afford them. RHCP have no europe dates & no july dates. What's to say both weren't asked n turned it down, they can only book who is avaiable n wants to be booked

2 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Yeah I think they've done alright with what they've got and what's possible. As you say yeah they've put loads of other stuff on with GSS, ESS, Bandstand gigs and SWG3 there's ssomething for everyone. I'm not naive enough to think for instance The Strokes will play trnsmt so it's easier for me to just buy tickets to see them in london then i don't need to get annoyed that george ezra is headlining.

Money grabbing bassas you mean?

5 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Muse are doing the san siro 2 times over that weekend. Also looking at their tour seems to me they might not have been able to afford them. RHCP have no europe dates & no july dates. What's to say both weren't asked n turned it down, they can only book who is avaiable n wants to be booked

That’s s fair point they could have turned them down.

3 minutes ago, Threestripes said:

Money grabbing bassas you mean?

Who are? DF? They're a business- tbh £60 quid a day is good value for trnsmt when a big act at the Hydro will probs charge as much.

I'm making the point that there's llots of options for people that dont like the lineup. Seen people on twitter wanting like foals or 1975, you can see them in Glasgow the month before & after trnsmt.

Florence and Noel are the only 2 that im shocked werent booked but florence has opted for ESS and noel is playing inverness

• Upvote 1

@didinowanttohearthat you're a refreshing breath of fresh air on here dude. 

You know what guys, back at the start of 2000's people were moaning about bands like Muse getting the push to the top of festival line ups, come their second album they were still only selling club venues and not done any arenas. Its ALWAYS happened. You're coming across like newish bands have never headlined before, Catfish are on album 3 and selling out standing at multiple, multiple arenas in SECONDS. SECONDS!!! And you guys are STILL moaning. 

Ezra had the best selling album in the last year and sold a shit load of dates out. 

Stormzy is riding a wave of popularity. Hes headlining Glasto. I get the undercard might not seem to your liking BUT the headliners they have are big headliners, you just gotta come to terms with they're newer acts and you're not with it. The bulk of festival sales are 16-21 year olds. They sell these festivals to what's current and now. Its always been the case, always. 

Festivals aren't going to be able to book Stadium acts anymore, it just doesn't happen. These are arena acts and thats what you're gunna get regardless of year. Sometimes things fall nice into whos touring and they're like ok we will do that as a show, think Queen and Radiohead are gunna roll around and play? No chance, no chance at all. Radiohead haven't played an English date outside of Manchester and London in over 10 years. They only did this cus it was easy for them and offered on a plate. They just can't be arsed most of the time and im a radiohead fan!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Going by the run of gigs in just Scotland this year at the likes of SWG3 and the Summer sessions, I wouldn't be surprised if more bands see this as the way forward, especially if they know they can sell out larger areas on their own terms. I think people need to get away from the idea that TRNSMT can match a Reading or Glastonbury, you look at the likes of Truck, Victorious or Kendal Calling, none maybe have 'huge' names, but have a decent set of names and at a decent price yearly to get folk going, for the size of area TRNSMT has available, maybe that's the kind of idea lineup wise they should be following - which TBF the Saturday and Sunday isnt far off if you think it at £60 a day

4 minutes ago, Chiefski said:

Going by the run of gigs in just Scotland this year at the likes of SWG3 and the Summer sessions, I wouldn't be surprised if more bands see this as the way forward, especially if they know they can sell out larger areas on their own terms. I think people need to get away from the idea that TRNSMT can match a Reading or Glastonbury, you look at the likes of Truck, Victorious or Kendal Calling, none maybe have 'huge' names, but have a decent set of names and at a decent price yearly to get folk going, for the size of area TRNSMT has available, maybe that's the kind of idea lineup wise they should be following - which TBF the Saturday and Sunday isnt far off if you think it at £60 a day

It's not only that though, you have to look at it through the bookers eyes, it's a day festival essentially people aren't rocking up out their tent and they're there. They book a radiohead or a queen, you think the bulk of their fanbase is gunna turn up at 12pm spend the day there and spunk cash at the bars and food or whatever. They ain't. They're more likely to turn up towards the end of the day and be in pubs prior. A younger crowd WILL turn up all day and it's much easier to book a day aimed at them than it is to radiohead and Queen fans ill tell ya. It's not as black and white as I'm making out but it is a factor. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, luckysalt said:

It's not only that though, you have to look at it through the bookers eyes, it's a day festival essentially people aren't rocking up out their tent and they're there. They book a radiohead or a queen, you think the bulk of their fanbase is gunna turn up at 12pm spend the day there and spunk cash at the bars and food or whatever. They ain't. They're more likely to turn up towards the end of the day and be in pubs prior. A younger crowd WILL turn up all day and it's much easier to book a day aimed at them than it is to radiohead and Queen fans ill tell ya. It's not as black and white as I'm making out but it is a factor. 

Fair point, but it depends on the undercard.  I went in sharpish for the Queen day last year because the other bands were worth a watch.  For the Radiohead day I did spend a fair bit of the afternoon in the pub as I'd no inclination to see much else.  Youngsters probably are more likely to spend the whole day there as you say.

14 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

Definitely get you on the latter part, very much the reason I think the Saturday and Sunday at least will sell pretty well still, there's a bit of balance over the day, also considering people will pay triple figures up here to see Cinnamon, Friday should do too

46 minutes ago, Chiefski said:

I think trnsmt can match R&L for sure but only when it's a posibility. Last year they had Arctic Monkeys doing their only UK festival, it just so happens that this year options like that weren't available.

6 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

I think trnsmt can match R&L for sure but only when it's a posibility. Last year they had Arctic Monkeys doing their only UK festival, it just so happens that this year options like that weren't available.

They are matching Glastonbury with stromzy.

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Do you know what boils my piss this is meant to be Scotland’s top festival and this is what they’ve come up with.

We need a titp sized festival that caters for all music genres it’s that simple.

3 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Who would you have booked this year?

ok in total from conversations on this forum and a number of bands have popped up. 

for the record i think catfish and the bottlemen are an acceptable headliner, but having them move up to headliners with 2 other first time headliners is why this line up is receiving such a bad reaction.

example - R&L have bumped up the 1975 to headliners, to assist ticket sales, they also booked Foo fighters. R&L have also been clever by previously having bands co headline with another band before being moved up to straight up headliners e.g. foals, fall out boy, etc. 

neither of these things have been done by trnsmt which is why it is recieving such a bad reaction, having catfish and the bottlemen healdine solo this year while pushing ezra to a co headliner with another headline act e.g foals, noel gallagher. would of worked, you would then need a decent sized standalone to be the "big name" of the festival, RHCP would of been perfect for this role. or even foo fighters ( yes i know they are doing summer sessions  but i think they are big enough to sell good tickets for both).

in regards to previous comments about ezra, i do believe its justified, he has been massively over booked in the uk, headlining TRNSMT, isle of wight, parklife, neighbourhood, and god knows how many other festivals, if you are a fan of him, their are a million places to see him. also the festivals he is headlining arent exactly selling well, example given of neighbourhood weekender selling out in a day last year but not being anywhere near sold out this year with ezra as headliner after 4 months, his day is also being outsold by richard ashcrofts sunday who is 3rd down on the trnsmt lineup. 

the line up is also to Diverse, they havent got enough one target audiences preferences to attract. e.g. a large amount of people who want to watch richard ashcroft, dmas etc on the saturday arent going to be interested in watching george ezra and jess glynne on the sunday, or stormzy and years and years on the friday. yes Gerry cinnamon is a big draw in Scotland, but for someone travelling up he alone isnt going to tempt someone up for the Friday when he seems to be everywhere this year. 

i think a lot of people going to the festival this year would be going regardless of the lineup, i also think you will see less people travelling distances because of the diversity of the line up not giving it enough pulling power to each genre, going up to Glasgow for a single day ticket from England as an example, £50 train return, £75 hotel, £50 day ticket, £50 spends. a number of people wont want to spend £200+ for a day of that line up.

to the original question, from acts available you wouldn't even have to change it that much. an example below.

friday 

Catfish and the bottlemen

Gerry Cinammon

DMA's 

miles kane

The Snuts

The Amazons.

Saturday

Red Hot Chilli peppers

Richard Ashcroft

Ian Brown

The Kooks

The Wombats

Sunday

George Ezra / Snow Patrol CO headline.

Bastille

Years and Years

Jess Glynne

Tom Grennan

Sam Fender.

All of these acts are available.

all i have done is change 1 headliner and added 2 lower acts and swapped a few around, for me that line up would sell miles more tickets.

Genuinely interested to hear peoples thoughts.

55 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Defo think the Calvin Harris repeats didn't help. The switch from Balado was the nail in the coffin though I think, Strathallan was so unsuitable.

Worst site ever for a festival anywhere on the planet.

Whoever sanctioned that should have been sacked and booted in the baws.