TRNSMT Lineup 2019

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I know! Hence why TRSMT is the same.  They’re all going the mid range sort of way.  Being honest I’d say only R&L and Glastonbury are big/major festivals these days.  

A festival being a 'major festival' is defined by the size, not how big you reckon the headliners are. Catfish, George Ezra, Noel Gallagher, etc. are headlining major festivals, not turning major festivals into medium-sized festivals.

3 minutes ago, maxdillon7 said:

if that’s the case, something like victorious (65k and rudimental headlining) would be considered “major” over something like boardmasters (50k with florence and the machine headlining) .. which doesn’t make a lot of sense in my opinion 

Exactly, and Victorious has never been classed as Major.

the only ones that I felt ever were:

Glastonbury, V Fest, R&L, IOW and T in the park

Over the last couple of years (especially this for IOW) I’d now say only Glastonbury and R&L remain 

26 minutes ago, maxdillon7 said:

if that’s the case, something like victorious (65k and rudimental headlining) would be considered “major” over something like boardmasters (50k with florence and the machine headlining) .. which doesn’t make a lot of sense in my opinion 

They’re both major. Ones bigger, and one has bigger headliners. The size of the headliners aren’t even a factor.

21 minutes ago, sisco said:

Exactly, and Victorious has never been classed as Major.

the only ones that I felt ever were:

Glastonbury, V Fest, R&L, IOW and T in the park

Over the last couple of years (especially this for IOW) I’d now say only Glastonbury and R&L remain 

https://www.victoriousfestival.co.uk/2017/10/nominated-best-major-best-family-best-metropolitan-festival-uk-festival-awards/

Anyway, the point I’m making is that you can’t see that a festival is booking certain acts and say “nope, it’s not that those acts are big enough - the festival is getting smaller”. It’s completely avoiding the truth of the matter.

If you guys are gonna sit around saying that because Stormzy is headlining a festival alongside George Ezra makes them the same size and ergo devalues Stormzy as a Glasto headliner, I don’t really know what to say to yas.

What is the debate in major or mid range, major is size of the festival, if theyre still successful in booking smaller acts they're still major, they're just smart. You have so many tickets you sell the same amount with a 200k headliner as you would a £2m headliner, do the math. The size of the headliner makes no odds. 

They've just wised up thst people prefer the whole line up than top heavy headliner. Some fests like Download need to book the big rock act as headliner. Global on a whole, planned their whole strategy in block bookings of artists across their fests and can attract bigger names for smaller fests raising how they are perceived, it doesn't mean bigger capacity fests are now not classed as a major fest, its just they don't NEED to shell out on huge headliners, when they still do well. Sometimes they have the artists across multi year deals sometimes to across the fests in one year, it's how Foals and two door are at loads this year by Global. 

Dentalplan totally gets it. Gaz who's has been on here for years I'm gobsmacked how stupid he comes across not understanding basic BUSINESS. End of the day all they are is a business. These fests they know what others have booked you know, they don't have to go all out on these lines up when the competition isn't. 

People keep mentioning old TITP and how stacked the line up was, how much do you think that cost, yet people will go to a fest regardless, they make money from stalls, the bars, they know they will get enough people on site to make that money, why spend millions on a line up, it's unnecessary spenditure. 

A festival remains a business no matter what. I can't see the trend changing. Days of these overstacked fests are gone. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, luckysalt said:

What is the debate in major or mid range, major is size of the festival, if theyre still successful in booking smaller acts they're still major, they're just smart. You have so many tickets you sell the same amount with a 200k headliner as you would a £2m headliner, do the math. The size of the headliner makes no odds. 

They've just wised up thst people prefer the whole line up than top heavy headliner. Some fests like Download need to book the big rock act as headliner. Global on a whole, planned their whole strategy in block bookings of artists across their fests and can attract bigger names for smaller fests raising how they are perceived, it doesn't mean bigger capacity fests are now not classed as a major fest, its just they don't NEED to shell out on huge headliners, when they still do well. Sometimes they have the artists across multi year deals sometimes to across the fests in one year, it's how Foals and two door are at loads this year by Global. 

Dentalplan totally gets it. Gaz who's has been on here for years I'm gobsmacked how stupid he comes across not understanding basic BUSINESS. End of the day all they are is a business. These fests they know what others have booked you know, they don't have to go all out on these lines up when the competition isn't. 

People keep mentioning old TITP and how stacked the line up was, how much do you think that cost, yet people will go to a fest regardless, they make money from stalls, the bars, they know they will get enough people on site to make that money, why spend millions on a line up, it's unnecessary spenditure. 

A festival remains a business no matter what. I can't see the trend changing. Days of these overstacked fests are gone. 

You have some good points but I don't think its accurate to say that festivals will always go for the cheapest acts that will sell the most tickets. So, for instance, by your logic would TRNSMT this year not just have gone for Gerry Cinnamon as headliner as he would be dirt cheap and sell a tonne of tickets?

I don't necessarily think there's been some massive shift in booking policy this year more just there isn't that many suitable headliners about. If Arctic Monkeys were about this year not last I doubt they'd not book them just cause they could book George Ezra for less and he'd still sell tickets.

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

You have some good points but I don't think its accurate to say that festivals will always go for the cheapest acts that will sell the most tickets. So, for instance, by your logic would TRNSMT this year not just have gone for Gerry Cinnamon as headliner as he would be dirt cheap and sell a tonne of tickets?

I don't necessarily think there's been some massive shift in booking policy this year more just there isn't that many suitable headliners about. If Arctic Monkeys were about this year not last I doubt they'd not book them just cause they could book George Ezra for less and he'd still sell tickets.

I think most fests now think one biggie is enough and the rest they can take a gamble. Like Reading with Foos. Sometimes an act might seem bigger but they will usually only spend a whack on one of the headliners. 

24 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

I think most fests now think one biggie is enough and the rest they can take a gamble. Like Reading with Foos. Sometimes an act might seem bigger but they will usually only spend a whack on one of the headliners. 

This year at transmit there is no 'biggie' really all fairly similar size. Last year there was 5 days n at least 3 of them are pricey headliners (Killers, Queen & AM) plus maybe LG I'm not sure. It's just a year where most of the 'big' headliners weren't possible I think.

Also my point was really just festivals are about making money yes but they don't always go with just what will make most profit as it'll hurt them in the long run imo.

Just now, lau2327 said:

looks like it’ll be very similar tho 

I know but the poster is evidently fake and they aren't to know the acts are similar.

4 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

The majority of most clientele are thick, pretty much everywhere.

31 minutes ago, wishyboz6 said:

Majority of TRNSMT clientele are absolutely thick as fcuk to be fair. 

Seems like that very much.

Just now, lau2327 said:

how is everyone on this thread feeling about the expected line up anyways? keen or not? 

Quite sceptical on it to be honest. There may be a few decent acts that may entice me to go but if not then it's not the end of the world. The Edi/Glasgow Summer Sessions lineups are really good & there's plenty of artists coming to Scotland anyway. 

26 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

I think with a decent undercard, I could get on board with a day ticket to pretty much any of the days. Especially the one with Snow Patrol on it. They'll be good for a drunken singalong for over an hour.

I’d be happy for snow patrol to be honest, I can understand why people wouldn’t want them there but really there’s not much choice in terms of artists this year and I’d be happy to see them and sing along to chasing cars for a night. It does make me think that they could do with two headliners on a night cause not everyone’s going to fancy George Ezra or the like, if they had another stage with maybe a more alternative band (not talking like king tuts, an actual other stage) they could probably make more people happy. Would be more expensive though I suppose