RIZE Festival (Hylands Park, Chelmsford)

AndrewSmith

On 5/21/2018 at 10:14 AM, watsonjm said:

Matter of opinion tbh.  There is enough there to keep me busy for the 2 days, I do think the tickets are slightly over priced but will still be going.  

Just want a couple of day tickets to the Friday. Holding out in case they drop in price 

• 1 month later...

3 weeks away and this forum is dead.  Personally I am still waiting to see if they do any last minute 2 4 1 deal like last year.   If they do, there is enough there to keep me entertained.  If not Sat ticket is worth the entry price for the Phonics. 

4 hours ago, mfeltham said:

3 weeks away and this forum is dead.  Personally I am still waiting to see if they do any last minute 2 4 1 deal like last year.   If they do, there is enough there to keep me entertained.  If not Sat ticket is worth the entry price for the Phonics. 

Lineup isn't great is it I think they have shot themselves in the foot by trying to cater to everyone now they are left with people people going to only see a few people that they actually want to see. I booked tickets based on the original release so Liam Gallagher and Stereophonics. When they finalised the line up they seemed to go more towards pop so I only have 6 bands I actually want to see. Was hoping for a comedy tent or something but information and buzz around rize has been seriously lacking. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they reduced tickets nearer the time.

6 hours ago, sisco said:

Well ticketmaster has a flash sale today for festival tickets and they haven’t lowered the Rize ones! Can’t see them going any lower now.  

I thought this as well.  I'm going, but holding out for as long as possible to get a ticket.  

Has anyone been to V at Chelmsford in recent years that can recommend where to camp?  I've only ever been to Weston Park

Edited by watsonjm

On 8/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, JoBalls said:

We’ve bought tickets for the Saturday on the basis that it’s only in the next town over. Always worth trying a new festival, let’s just hope it’s better than V has been in recent years...

Yeah about an hour away.  Picked up a weekend ticket for £135 which is good value for me with who i'll see.  Looking forward to it just wish there was some more info on the site etc. 

I think LG playing just over an hour as a headline act was disappointing.  The smaller size worked though, with less distance between the campsite and the arena and all stages were no more than a short walk between each one.  Phonics kicked ass as did Gerry Cinnamon.  Suprisingly Bastile (not a fan) were also good.

Another cracking year by all accounts.  Small site was a welcome change, barely had to queue for anything.  Campsite was good, toilets was better than they have been the last few years at V Stafford. 

Arena layout was a bit odd, the first bit was a few rides and stalls and the WKD bar than you went through a sort of bottle neck into what i would call the main part of the arena with the majority of bars, stalls, rides and the main stages.  

Very easy to move around between stages and get out to bars, food etc.  Biggest plus for me was the sorted time between acts this year.  All the early acts had no more than 30 mins and i think 40 for the headliners. 

Just hope they sold enough tickets to make it worth while next year

I really enjoyed it! I didn’t expect to be impressed at all, so it really was a pleasant surprise. The whole thing felt really well executed - the transport links were great to and from the station, there were plenty of bars, plenty of toilets... I don’t think I queued for more than 10 minutes at all until the wait for the shuttle bus home.

The lineup was fine - I enjoyed Stereophonics, Rag N Bone Man and Bastille. There did seem to be a bit of a lack of recognisable acts lower down the bill but that could well be due to the fact that it was a new festival in it’s first year - I suspect that next year they will be able to pull in slightly bigger names.

Given it was such a small festival I was really impressed with the variety of bars and drinks available - as well as the usual run of the mill festival bars next to the stages they had bars by Carlsberg Export (selling Somersby Rhubarb and Strawberry cider which was lovely), WKD and Red Bull, plus two cocktail bars. We sampled drinks from each bar during the day and while prices were slightly high (£5.50 a pint, £7 single spirit and mixer, £10 a double, £5 for alcopops) it’s no different to what I’ve experienced at any other festival. 

The site was much smaller than V, I’d say it was a 10 minute walk from end to end, but it was well laid out - you couldn’t hear one stage from the other etc. The crowd wasn’t all rowdy teenagers, which had been one of my main fears - it was a real mixed bag!

Overall it was a nice day out - if the lineup suits me next year I’d definitely go again.

Edited by JoBalls
  • Upvote 1