RIZE Festival (Hylands Park, Chelmsford)

AndrewSmith

1 hour ago, edwardjc14 said:

Feels like the same line up as half a dozen festivals this year 

Feels like a combination of all the worst bits of the last four editions of V Fest. Almost every single act on the poster clogged up slots in the final few years of the 'old' event, so what exactly was the point of this rebirth? They'd have been better off carrying on with the old brand, cutting the price a bit and marketing it at the 40 year olds who have 'fond memories of going to V in the 90s' than this attempt to be a new startup without anything to distinguish it either from the likes of Victorious or the very same V Fest people stopped going to.

The only surprise about this lineup is that they haven't booked Jess bloody Glynne to play the exact same setlist for the fifth year in a row. Presumably she'll be added in the next wave.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Feels like a combination of all the worst bits of the last four editions of V Fest. Almost every single act on the poster clogged up slots in the final few years of the 'old' event, so what exactly was the point of this rebirth? They'd have been better off carrying on with the old brand, cutting the price a bit and marketing it at the 40 year olds who have 'fond memories of going to V in the 90s' than this attempt to be a new startup without anything to distinguish it either from the likes of Victorious or the very same V Fest people stopped going to.

The only surprise about this lineup is that they haven't booked Jess bloody Glynne to play the exact same setlist for the fifth year in a row. Presumably she'll be added in the next wave.

:rofl: she’s got These Days to add in now. It’s going to completely different! :rofl: (if she plays)

Victorious doesn't have as big a ticket seller as Liam on their line-up and imo the undercard isn't as strong. The Prodigy whole day has been spent on their exclusivity, it's very weak and Paul Wellers is just comparable to the Phonics day. Plan B, MSP and Craig David is very strong and considering MSP were a Victorious headliner.

For me the line up is good enough to go, and better than most others this year (again for me) and at £115 i think its well prices.  What i cant get passed is the £178 for the weekend camping.   That makes it the same price i paid last year and i got to go the site I prefer and i would guess much more expensive headliners.  

Very undecided atm!

On 27/02/2018 at 5:54 PM, thewayiam said:

Victorious doesn't have as big a ticket seller as Liam on their line-up and imo the undercard isn't as strong. The Prodigy whole day has been spent on their exclusivity, it's very weak and Paul Wellers is just comparable to the Phonics day. Plan B, MSP and Craig David is very strong and considering MSP were a Victorious headliner.

I disagree 100%. But that will be because I guess Victorious is targeted towards people like me and you like Craig David. 

Every year you go on the Victorious threads and say the line up is weak, poor whatever, obviously its not for you. For me its as far from very weak as possible. Gomez is a particular highlight. They hardly ever play anywhere anymore. last time I saw them was when they headlined SSW in 2006 and they were outstanding. Victorious is, as the promoters themselves have said targeted towards the people who used to go to V festival in the first years of its existence. Which its line up do extremely well at that.

This festival is targeted towards exactly the same crowd who when to the previous few years V festivals, the simple fact is they lost their sponsor so they could no longer call it V really, so they had to rename it, plus it allows for a new sponsor, I presume that was a hold up and they haven't been able to attract one, they've also lowered prices because they don't have big international headliners, otherwise I'd imagine it would be higher. So they've had to price it more competitive. 

Both have their place in the marketplace, this will do well because LN are the money behind it. They can book acts who they have at other fests and they wont care. Exclusivity in festival is getting less and less and its better also the bigger names at the top of the bill isn't as important anymore, people want value and depth and an experience. Not just big acts at the top, this is why IOW failed in recent years and so did V. They've learned from this.

3 minutes ago, luckysalt said:

I disagree 100%. But that will be because I guess Victorious is targeted towards people like me and you like Craig David. 

Every year you go on the Victorious threads and say the line up is weak, poor whatever, obviously its not for you. For me its as far from very weak as possible. Gomez is a particular highlight. They hardly ever play anywhere anymore. last time I saw them was when they headlined SSW in 2006 and they were outstanding. Victorious is, as the promoters themselves have said targeted towards the people who used to go to V festival in the first years of its existence. Which its line up do extremely well at that.

This festival is targeted towards exactly the same crowd who when to the previous few years V festivals, the simple fact is they lost their sponsor so they could no longer call it V really, so they had to rename it, plus it allows for a new sponsor, I presume that was a hold up and they haven't been able to attract one, they've also lowered prices because they don't have big international headliners, otherwise I'd imagine it would be higher. So they've had to price it more competitive. 

Both have their place in the marketplace, this will do well because LN are the money behind it. They can book acts who they have at other fests and they wont care. Exclusivity in festival is getting less and less and its better also the bigger names at the top of the bill isn't as important anymore, people want value and depth and an experience. Not just big acts at the top, this is why IOW failed in recent years and so did V. They've learned from this.

I don't mind Craig David, he's not a favourite but for that price I wouldn't turn away seeing him again. Sometimes it's good to have something that is a fun singling and not taken seriously.

Well opinions are different, I went the MSP year so haven't thought it's all bad but no the last couple of years I don't think it's been that great with the distance a major factor for me. Tbf also Reading Saturday is appealing this year and that for me walks over it atm but again that's me.

Obviously price wise you can't knock The Prodigy booking for that day but that's all there is....if I live within 1.5 hours I'd go.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't mind Craig David, he's not a favourite but for that price I wouldn't turn away seeing him again. Sometimes it's good to have something that is a fun singling and not taken seriously.

Well opinions are different, I went the MSP year so haven't thought it's all bad but no the last couple of years I don't think it's been that great with the distance a major factor for me. Tbf also Reading Saturday is appealing this year and that for me walks over it atm but again that's me.

Obviously price wise you can't knock The Prodigy booking for that day but that's all there is....if I live within 1.5 hours I'd go.

For me the Prodigy day has them, Friendly Fires, Embrace, Gomez, Bluetones, Rev & Makers and I caught them promote Genghar on their twitter they played a bit of their song so I went onto youtube and im really enjoying their tracks, so thats another I'd watch. I haven't checked out everyone yet. But already thats a lot for the £33 I paid for that day. I paid £44 to see Prodigy with no support in December. 

Going back to the above I've actually never caught Bluetones live before, quite unbelievably, so that is a big draw for me too, IF was a track I absolutely adored back in the day.

Anyway, im going offtrack, I hope you enjoy whatever fest you end up at this year dude.

3 hours ago, luckysalt said:

For me the Prodigy day has them, Friendly Fires, Embrace, Gomez, Bluetones, Rev & Makers and I caught them promote Genghar on their twitter they played a bit of their song so I went onto youtube and im really enjoying their tracks, so thats another I'd watch. I haven't checked out everyone yet. But already thats a lot for the £33 I paid for that day. I paid £44 to see Prodigy with no support in December. 

Going back to the above I've actually never caught Bluetones live before, quite unbelievably, so that is a big draw for me too, IF was a track I absolutely adored back in the day.

Anyway, im going offtrack, I hope you enjoy whatever fest you end up at this year dude.

Oh I completely understand why you would go and money wise but I wouldn't  bother with any of those bar The Prodigy and I live 1.5 hours above edge of London so I see no point.

Nothing major, day at Download maybe, Leeds, neighbourhood Sunday and Slam Dunk.

Does anyone actually know much about this festival? I’ve read that it’s got 4 stages (as the old V did) but will it be the same size capacity etc...?

and if it is, must be about 20 more acts to announce each day. (I think).

Love Liam, not particularly bothered about much else but may just go for the day out

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I know it’s no indication at all but the Rize twitter only has 4 thousand ish followers.  Not sure it’s being advertised very well at all.

I agree.  They needed to get some details out much earlier.  Tickets still available at all levels.

I'm holding out for offers

20 hours ago, sisco said:

I know it’s no indication at all but the Rize twitter only has 4 thousand ish followers.  Not sure it’s being advertised very well at all.

All Points East has just over 3000 followers and that’s viewed as a really strong lineup for a festival. Maybe the number of followers isn’t hugely important.

Saying that, I don’t see rize selling well at all.

28 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

All Points East has just over 3000 followers and that’s viewed as a really strong lineup for a festival. Maybe the number of followers isn’t hugely important.

Saying that, I don’t see rize selling well at all.

Different clientele though.  V I’m sure had hundreds of thousands, if people were interested wouldn’t they have followed.  Was just a thought anyway

6 hours ago, sisco said:

There are no rumours Foos are there!  The twitter account put up a festival picture and wrote.... are we read for days like these again!! = oh Foos are defo subbing Liam or The Stereophonics...

this is great, just had a look at the exact quote is "Can we start thinking of times like these" and people have taken that to mean foos are playing?!  outstanding