Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

6 hours ago, Jay89 said:

I hope so. The paper cups were absolute nightmare. Getting through the crowds with full pint always resulted with half of it spilled over my hand, cause they were too bendy and fragile. Until I remembered I had metal cup in my backpack the whole time ?

We were actually baffled that they weren't doing it already. The company that made the Bearded Theory cups seem to have Glastonbury ones on their website.

Just now, WS_Jack_III said:

We were actually baffled that they weren't doing it already. The company that made the Bearded Theory cups seem to have Glastonbury ones on their website.

They've been using them in staff bars for years now, so they do exist. My best guess is that trying to roll them out on the scale required would be logistically too difficult given the number of bars.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

They've been using them in staff bars for years now, so they do exist. My best guess is that trying to roll them out on the scale required would be logistically too difficult given the number of bars.

Ahh that explains it. I hope they do attempt it soon, seeing the ground clear of cups would be lovely.

I think the weather helps to keep the site cleaner by the way. If it's muddy, people seem to care a little less about walking to the bins.

Did anyone else have any trouble getting in with a plastic bottle? 

I got stopped at gate A Wednesday morning by a security guard telling me I couldn’t take in my 5l water bottle I’d filled with Pimms, at first thought he was having a laugh and said I’d pour him a glass but he wasn’t having the bottle. Turned out he wasn’t joking ?.

He went to find some rule book & I argued it out that he couldn’t sell me plastic but I could use my own & if he took it off me I wouldn’t be able to wash it out and fill it with water for the weekend.

Was all ready to ask for a supervisor and his id number when he gave up and just told me to go in. Saw so many other people doing the same thing don’t really get why he tried to stop me

7 minutes ago, ilikesimpsons said:

Did anyone else have any trouble getting in with a plastic bottle? 

I got stopped at gate A Wednesday morning by a security guard telling me I couldn’t take in my 5l water bottle I’d filled with Pimms, at first thought he was having a laugh and said I’d pour him a glass but he wasn’t having the bottle. Turned out he wasn’t joking ?.

He went to find some rule book & I argued it out that he couldn’t sell me plastic but I could use my own & if he took it off me I wouldn’t be able to wash it out and fill it with water for the weekend.

Was all ready to ask for a supervisor and his id number when he gave up and just told me to go in. Saw so many other people doing the same thing don’t really get why he tried to stop me

So, was there actually an issue with taking in plastic bottles? I struggle to see another way of taking in large quantities of spirits (2ltr plus), unless it's expected we all decant them into 6+ metal, reusable metal bottles? 

8 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

So, was there actually an issue with taking in plastic bottles? I struggle to see another way of taking in large quantities of spirits (2ltr plus), unless it's expected we all decant them into 6+ metal, reusable metal bottles? 

TBH that's what I did with mine, used the cheap(ish) 1l aluminium bottles from Millets.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

TBH that's what I did with mine, used the cheap(ish) 1l aluminium bottles from Millets.

Yeah, I suppose that's what I should do next time - as long as I could fit all of it into my bag, as I usually do public transport. 

Just now, Matt87 said:

Yeah, I suppose that's what I should do next time - as long as I could fit all of it into my bag, as I usually do public transport. 

Not really an issue, a 1l aluminium bottle takes up the same space as a 1l plastic bottle.  Only difference is you're more likely to have to carry it home again, but aluminium weighs nowt when it's empty. I took the coach and fitted everything in / strapped to a standard army surplus bergen, including tent.

11 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

The 'ban' was on plastic bottles only. The coop operated to the same rules as other traders. Hopefully, given the success of the bottle ban, we'll see the ban extended to other plastic packaging in the future.

BTW I wouldn't classify co-op as a 'massive corporation'. A corporation is something quite different from a cooperative. If we had more of the latter the world would be a better place IMHO.

I'm not sure that's accurate, I thought the festival's policy was that "serve ware – including straws and hot drink lids – must be made from paper, card, wood or leaves and be fully compostable."?  Which would seem to extend beyond bottles? 

28 minutes ago, WStoner said:

I'm not sure that's accurate, I thought the festival's policy was that "serve ware – including straws and hot drink lids – must be made from paper, card, wood or leaves and be fully compostable."?  Which would seem to extend beyond bottles? 

That's been in place for a while. I guess packaging does not equal serve ware. 

It's a start and we are heading in the right direction. Deserves celebrating in my book.

We should see improvements next year. Fromcoops website: 

All our own-brand packaging will be easy to recycle by 2023 (80% by 2020)

Totally on board with the plastic ban, but they need to be selling 500ml cans of mixer. An ice cream van by the other stage tried to charge me £3 for a warm can of sprite on Saturday night before chemical brothers. 

Didn’t drink most of my spirits as it was such a pain trying to get mixers. I feel like the vendors would have been very happy with the ban for the wrong reasons. 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, ChemicalBrother said:

For me, one of the most iconic sights at the pyramid stage is seeing the guy year after year selling Vodka Jellies - even in the fallow year I was lucky enough to meet him plying his trade at Beautiful Days. Can you sell individual Vodka Jelly in something other than little plastic pots??? 

As a litter picker I absolutely hate the vodka jelly sellers- all those pots get dropped and shatter into a thousand tiny pieces. Which all have to be picked up... And they are single use plastic.. Sorry to be a buzzkill!!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

because if it's Vodka Jelly Man his jellies are always good. :) 

I saw a guy and a girl seeling them at the top of the pyramid field on Sunday, never seen them before. My thought process went something like this.....

1. Who spends hundreds of pounds coming to a festival and then walks round selling vodka jelly while the acts are on?

2. How do they prepare them? They can't bring them all with them, surely?

3. Don't they need a license?

4. Who would buy them anyway? They could have anything in them.

5) All those plastic things are just going to end up on the floor.

So yeah, safe to say I didn't buy any :D

Just now, clarkete said:

What were you going to do with his ID number, tell yer mum?

:D

She was there and wasn’t really fussed? 

My assumption was that number is there to make complaints against them when they start acting as a law unto themselves? As this guy was when he decided I couldn’t take in a plastic bottle when countless people in my own group walking in with the same bottles next to me weren’t stopped. 

3 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I saw a guy and a girl seeling them at the top of the pyramid field on Sunday, never seen them before. My thought process went something like this.....

1. Who spends hundreds of pounds coming to a festival and then walks round selling vodka jelly while the acts are on?

2. How do they prepare them? They can't bring them all with them, surely?

3. Don't they need a license? 

4. Who would buy them anyway? They could have anything in them. 

5) All those plastic things are just going to end up on the floor.

So yeah, safe to say I didn't buy any :D

1. Didn't see him at Glastonbury but at other festivals he's had a crew wristband on.

2. Dunno.

3. Shhh.

4. He's been around lots of festivals for quite a few years, so has for lack of a better way of putting it, "brand recognition".

5. Yeah. That one is a problem.

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

How much did they charge for cans of mixer? We were paying up to £2.50 at some bars so must have been cheaper than that? Would have liked to stock up a bit but there was no way we were trekking out of our way in that heat so just didn't bother to find it.

Paid £26.40 for like a pack of 24 at the co op  which in reflection now actually feels likea bargain in hindsight 

Given the whole green ethos of the festival - no single use plastic bottles, recycling, compostable serveware etc - and with David Attenborough praising them for it I was slightly surprised when boarding my return National Express coach (the green alternative)  to be given some goodies in a plastic carrier bag. I've emailed both NE and GFL about this. So far NE haven't got back to me but GFL were straight back with "Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will follow up with them to make sure they’re clear on this for next year."

My expectation is that we'll see even less plastic next year - they might even ban Hobo Jones's plastic kazoos.

10 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

My expectation is that we'll see even less plastic next year - they might even ban Hobo Jones's plastic kazoos.

I'll add my kazoo to my packing list next year if I get a ticket!  I came home with one from Hobo Jones and a Christmas hat from Lekkido.