Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

22 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

This might be a daft question- but is it weird drinking water from a can? I remember when they tried canned milk a decade or two ago and it bombed because people just thought it was wrong!

I mainly drink pop and I've never liked the move to plastic bottles (I'm sure it was only done to inflate the price), so will be glad to see a return to cans- they make a most satisfying sound when you open them and contain just the right amount.

It is. They had canned water at Blue Dot last year and it was freaky. I'll be sticking with the taps.

8 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Cans of water wrapped in plastic. Getting there ??‍♀️

think that should be raised to Emily ... Although I fear it might be too late :( ... just tweeted her lets see if I get a response :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

7 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I rarely but water in a plastic bottle.

If I ever end up buying a can of water I just know that as soon as I crack it and taste it I will feel completely and totally ripped off. ?

Cans of drink are supposed to be so much more than just water.

of course ... out of interest have you seen any new water points near the queuing entry areas ... just wondered how they will deal with a hot one ? or will they just hand out cans instead of bottles ?

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

of course ... out of interest have you seen any new water points near the queuing entry areas ... just wondered how they will deal with a hot one ? or will they just hand out cans instead of bottles ?

I haven't but will try to have a look tomorrow evening.

I've got to tow a couple of crew caravans to the farm for friends and family. 

edit. I'll ask my neighbour Jane, she's in charge of water and sanitation. She'll know.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

6 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I haven't but will try to have a look tomorrow evening.

I've got to tow a couple of crew caravans to the farm for friends and family. 

edit. I'll ask my neighbour Jane, she's in charge of water and sanitation. She'll know.

:) neighbours in high places  thanks .... would seem pointless them handing out the cans if they can add a few water points too :) 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Wateraid volunteers with ‘jet packs’ (think water cooler in a back pack)

Make sure you’ve got your bottle handy for the queue! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 9:29 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Just seen Jane for the first time in ages, normally see her almost daily but she's been living on site working crazy long hours.

She says that there are no water points near the queueing entry areas and if it is needed cans of water will be distributed to the queues in the same way that plastic bottles were. There will also be people with backpacks full of water to refill people's bottles.

She also said that will be an enormous number of extra taps, waterpoints and refill stations all over site. She should know :)

I also (obviously) asked her about the state of the ground, she said it was fine.

1 minute ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Just seen Jane for the first time in ages, normally see her almost daily but she's been living on site working crazy long hours.

She says that there are no water points near the queueing entry areas and if it is needed cans of water will be distributed to the queues in the same way that plastic bottles were. There will also be people with backpacks full of water to refill people's bottles.

She also said that will be an enormous number of extra taps, waterpoints and refill stations all over site. She should know :)

I also (obviously) asked her about the state of the ground, she said it was fine.

Thanks for the reply ... I guess for the short period of time the queues exist there won't be a great need for them and the provision of these other things will more than adequately cover it :) 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, WStoner said:

I might be wrong about this but wasn't co-op basically full of single use plastic?!

Yes.

Slabs of cans were in shrinkwrap.

While sandwich wrappers were biodegradable, the fruit, other lunch items like salad, snack pots like hummus etc. were exactly like they are in a regular Co-op, as in in a plastic punnet with a flimsy plastic lid. 

Loaves of bread in plastic wrappers. Sausages and bacon in plastic trays with flimsy plastic lids. 

Porridge pots.

1 minute ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Yes.

Slabs of cans were in shrinkwrap.

While sandwich wrappers were biodegradable, the fruit, other lunch items like salad, snack pots like hummus etc. were exactly like they are in a regular Co-op, as in in a plastic punnet with a flimsy plastic lid. 

Loaves of bread in plastic wrappers. Sausages and bacon in plastic trays with flimsy plastic lids. 

Porridge pots.

I'm not not sure I understand.  Are you saying the plastic was all fine, or are you saying snack pots etc, plastic trays etc. were all single use?  If so, it seems a bit off that independent traders couldn't sell anything with single use plastic but co-op could? 

22 minutes ago, WStoner said:

I'm not not sure I understand.  Are you saying the plastic was all fine, or are you saying snack pots etc, plastic trays etc. were all single use?  If so, it seems a bit off that independent traders couldn't sell anything with single use plastic but co-op could? 

I'm not sure what's unclear there? You asked if Co-op was basically full of single-use plastic and I replied that yes, Co-op was full of single use plastic. Just like in a normal Co-op.

Where the hell was The Co-op? Like Dairy field or something? I saw it from a distance once I think but seemed way off the beaten track. Would have liked to go for mixers but just didn't see it.

Plastic thing is bullshit though, but does make you realise how much stuff in supermarkets is covered in the stuff.

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Where the hell was The Co-op? Like Dairy field or something? I saw it from a distance once I think but seemed way off the beaten track. Would have liked to go for mixers but just didn't see it.

North West corner of Park Home, and directly off the railway track so while it's out sight out of mind for most people, if you're joining the railway at the Other Stage field then it's actually only a 5 minute round trip.

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Was coming in here to talk about the plastic in Co-Op. Was quite surprised to see all the fruit pots in plastic. Loads of them too. Seems strange considering the ban and water was still only available in a can.

Exactly!  Seemed incredibly unfair to tell independent traders they couldn't use plastic and then allow some massive corporation to do exactly that.  I wonder if it was agreed upon with the organisers or if the Co-op just disregarded the ban and won't be invited back as a result? 

17 minutes ago, WStoner said:

Exactly!  Seemed incredibly unfair to tell independent traders they couldn't use plastic and then allow some massive corporation to do exactly that.  I wonder if it was agreed upon with the organisers or if the Co-op just disregarded the ban and won't be invited back as a result? 

The 'ban' was on plastic bottles only. The coop operated to the same rules as other traders. Hopefully, given the success of the bottle ban, we'll see the ban extended to other plastic packaging in the future.

BTW I wouldn't classify co-op as a 'massive corporation'. A corporation is something quite different from a cooperative. If we had more of the latter the world would be a better place IMHO.

3 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Next thing is surely those reusable cups at the bars. Worked a treat at Bearded Theory.

I hope so. The paper cups were absolute nightmare. Getting through the crowds with full pint always resulted with half of it spilled over my hand, cause they were too bendy and fragile. Until I remembered I had metal cup in my backpack the whole time ?