Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Seems like our friends over at Shambala wasted no time following up this plastic bottle ban announcement with one of their own. Whatever Glastonbury can do.....

Screenshot_20190228-182338.jpg

And there we were complaining about there being no milk in plastic bottles

I suspect that will be fairly down the list for a dairy farm.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
damn typo

35 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am all about this plastic bottle ban, but i do like to rave with my bottle in hand 

will miss that , with a can of water I am just going to soak everyone

Cans of water I've seen sold in tesco (meal deals) are resealable, so hopefully these be the same type.

I though more co2 was released in the production of metal than plastic.

Not only this but metal also has a negative impact on the environment when disposed of incorrectly.

The solution to our environmental problem is to reduce consumption overall not find alternative ways of carrying on doing the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I am all about this plastic bottle ban, but i do like to rave with my bottle in hand 

will miss that , with a can of water I am just going to soak everyone

Haha me too!!! Sometimes even when its empty like my life depends on it....

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

I though more co2 was released in the production of metal than plastic.

Not only this but metal also has a negative impact on the environment when disposed of incorrectly.

The solution to our environmental problem is to reduce consumption overall not find alternative ways of carrying on doing the same thing. 

The difference with metal is that the festival can make a profit recycling it. More cans more cash. 

I do however support the plastic ban and will use my reusable Glasto metal one ?

2 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

The difference with metal is that the festival can make a profit recycling it. More cans more cash. 

I do however support the plastic ban and will use my reusable Glasto metal one ?

The other and probably more important difference with metal is that it can, generally speaking, be fully recycled.

Plastic bottles can usually only be downcycled - arguably a technical, but very important difference.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:49 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just noticed in the Glastonbury statement that they said drinking water is available at all the bars - has that always been the case? I've always queued at the taps thinking that was the only place! Wish I'd known if so.

Also what's the deal with the water aid kiosks? Will they fill any bottle or only one of the Water Aid ones? I've never been sure so again stuck to the taps (although saying that I might have filled a bottle at one once...)

no it has not been the case - due to the fact it all depends where the bar is as some Bars don't even have a tap .

I cant say what happened in 2017 as I was stuck in ICU but they may have had a deal with GFL.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:50 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Edit: just googled and apparently you could get them at "more than half" the bars in 2017. Hopefully that will increase in 2019.

unless they are going to lay water pipes to all the Bars - I cant see them being able to cover every Bar but its not clear how they are going to solve the problem.

The WBC one year tried to solve part of it ' in the crew area ' by only issuing workers  with one free bottle of water and it was up to them to refill by using taps.

Most of these Bars don't have the room for a Water tanker behind the bar and even if they did ' its expensive to rent '

time will tell what happens.

15 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

no it has not been the case - due to the fact it all depends where the bar is as some Bars don't even have a tap .

I cant say what happened in 2017 as I was stuck in ICU but they may have had a deal with GFL.

unless they are going to lay water pipes to all the Bars - I cant see them being able to cover every Bar but its not clear how they are going to solve the problem.

The WBC one year tried to solve part of it ' in the crew area ' by only issuing workers  with one free bottle of water and it was up to them to refill by using taps.

Most of these Bars don't have the room for a Water tanker behind the bar and even if they did ' its expensive to rent '

time will tell what happens.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought - that most of the bars don't have taps.

I absolutely applaud the idea but if it's a hot year (which it will be) they will surely need to look at increasing water taps around the site. Queues in 2010 were crazy for water.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought - that most of the bars don't have taps.

I absolutely applaud the idea but if it's a hot year (which it will be) they will surely need to look at increasing water taps around the site. Queues in 2010 were crazy for water.

two shota from 2010 - I spent most of my time under the fridge truck { when not on duty } - we had two - I missed a trick there as others were copying me so I should have charged a rent. 

it was a right pain that year and funny enough ' bar takings goes down if its very Hot - I kid you not '

Even the bars that are connected to a water pipe - that tends to be out the back - its used for hand washing not drinking - sure the pipes could be extended although that also adds to the cost.

time will tell how it pans out .

if it was up to me ' I would stick a huge deposit { say £5 }  on each small bottle of water ' and I am sure most people would not dump them on the ground. 

2010-wbc-21.thumb.jpg.8a70594e98a4dbc0c1b97d3abee36664.jpg2010-wbc-19.thumb.jpg.baad93a8749b9891e3642bb25b1fa753.jpg

I can actually believe that people drink less when it's hot. When it is that hot you drink a lot of water and soft drinks and the booze tends to make you feel more dehydrated, which you can only keep up for so long. When the weather is shit you buy more drinks to warm up/cheer up/get pissed and forget the rain. 

I remember noticing at the time in 2010 that I was drinking all day (both booze and non booze) and barely pissing. Which cannot be good for you!