Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

59 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just noticed in the Glastonbury statement that they said drinking water is available at all the bars - has that always been the case? I've always queued at the taps thinking that was the only place! Wish I'd known if so.

Also what's the deal with the water aid kiosks? Will they fill any bottle or only one of the Water Aid ones? I've never been sure so again stuck to the taps (although saying that I might have filled a bottle at one once...)

Didn't know about water at the bars.

Wateraid will fill any container, but the difference is they encourage us to sign petitions and get updates, which is fair enough. They even refilled mine when I drank the first lot at the counter but there wasn't a queue.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:22 AM, eFestivals said:

over 20 years ago i worked with a guy whose sister lived in Germany (much MUCH less common then than now).

He was always going on about how Germany (perhaps just one of its federal states, i'm not sure) had introduced a law that obliged any retail outlet to take back the packaging of the products it had sold.

People were (apparently) taking back all of the packaging from their weekly shop to the supermarket.

It doesn't take much imagination to realise just how quickly those supermarkets reduced the packaging.

We need something similar here! Fuck Iceland and their 5-years (and that's the 'good guy' :blink:), with a law like that they'd do it in five weeks 

I've only recently obviously started reading this thread. Anyway I worked for a big M for a couple of weeks in Germany when i was 18+19. Anyway in Germany a couple of us used to have to go out within a wide perimeter and pick up big M's rubbish so should easily be done anywhere.

They also sold beer and never any hassle. 

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Cheers, still managed to miss them! Will look harder. Saw people with them just never spotted on sale.

Guess that's my point though really. If people have to look for them then they are less likely to use them so would like to see more of a concerted push on this too.  

Edit: just googled and apparently you could get them at "more than half" the bars in 2017. Hopefully that will increase in 2019.

They definitely fill any bottle :) You can get a paper cup of water from there too (I realise that isn't in keeping with the topic of this thread though..). I've gone to buy a bottle of water from one bar before and had a paper cup thrust upon me. Maybe I looked a little worse for wear. Don't want any party goers dehydrating and passing out now do we! (Better then those assholes in some of the super clubs back in the day who used to make sure all their tap water in the bathrooms came out hot...grrrr)

I know the reusable metal cup thing has been talked to death on other threads - but  one year (16 or 17) I only remember them selling them in The Park bar and in some others bars they were still using a paper cup to pour in (not wanting to touch the nozzle on the dirty cup, blah blah). At other festivals it works because you take your old cup back and get a new one which they reuse. But the metal ones are obviously much more lovely...and my cider stays cold. Win. 

Personally, I think this is a great idea. Facebook thread clearly says you can still bring plastic in, so I don't see the harm. I did wonder quite how this thread had got to 8 pages so quickly, but of course, it's a lot of chat about Lenor bottles :lol:

7 hours ago, carlosj said:

Wateraid will fill any container, but the difference is they encourage us to sign petitions and get updates, which is fair enough. They even refilled mine when I drank the first lot at the counter but there wasn't a queue.

Good to know! I'm signed up to all that anyway.

14 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Chilly bottles are the nearest I can find for keeping fizz ... but they will need a wash ... or maybe try this 

Unknown-2.jpeg

not sure if you're joking, but we've brought a soda stream twice now (on the coach) as its cheaper than buying mixers on site and lighter than lugging them in.  will definitely be bringing it again this year now....

8 hours ago, carlosj said:

I am sure that bars, cafes etc have to offer tap/drinking  water and not just try to sell you designer bottled water. Of course retailers don’t publicise this though it’s common elsewhere for water on the table as standard. So there shouldn’t be any difference at a festival. 

11 minutes ago, Kay95 said:

not sure if you're joking, but we've brought a soda stream twice now (on the coach) as its cheaper than buying mixers on site and lighter than lugging them in.  will definitely be bringing it again this year now....

I was joking thinking they had plugs on ... having never owned or used one ... I stand corrected looking at them ... and was thinking they would be heavy ... but I stand corrected on that one too ... oops 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was joking thinking they had plugs on ... having never owned or used one ... I stand corrected looking at them ... and was thinking they would be heavy ... but I stand corrected on that one too ... oops 

Haha no worries, its one of the more unusual bits of glasto kit we've used!  we like to experiment with new approaches and this one has stuck

12 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do think this is a good idea but the paper cups are surely a big issue too - is it still too difficult to eradicate them or make bigger moves towards it? I think they're plastic coated too so maybe even unrecyclable? Not sure but the amount the festival must get through is horrendous. 

All the paper cups used on site are compostable- as are the plates and wooden cutlery. I _think_ they can go into a biomass generator too..

33 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

All the paper cups used on site are compostable- as are the plates and wooden cutlery. I _think_ they can go into a biomass generator too..

Well that's good to know. I thought because they had a kind of plastic coating on it might not be possible, as with coffee cups.

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Well that's good to know. I thought because they had a kind of plastic coating on it might not be possible, as with coffee cups.

It's a corn starch coating I think. Probably a bit more expensive so  not more widely used.  Something a bit like this https://www.glastonburyspringwater.co.uk/cups/biodegradable-paper-cups-12oz/

20 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

yep of course they will ... stupid moment ... but im sure they will charge the same price for 330ml cans as 500ml bottles 

That was my first thought too.  I'm all for the festival banning single use plastic bottles, but I'd also be for them banning vendors using the exchange rate of... £2.50 bottle of coke = £2.50 can of coke!

5 minutes ago, StevieMcK said:

That was my first thought too.  I'm all for the festival banning single use plastic bottles, but I'd also be for them banning vendors using the exchange rate of... £2.50 bottle of coke = £2.50 can of coke!

I would hope / think the festival will update / provide more information around this and other common questions in due course