Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

the Association of Independent Festivals are running a campaign where they say they're getting "drastic on plastic".

So far, that's had them tell their bar & food/drink suppliers they can't use plastic straws. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a straw at a festival.

And now they've 'banned glitter' for their punters, tho I've yet to see one of their websites actually tell their punters.

Great campaign idea, execution is a crock of shite.

Oh, I mailed them and suggested THEY - not someone else - actually ban some single use plastic, by replacing the plastic screening round bogs with hessian (what festivals used to do before they decided the planet didn't matter very much). Simple to achieve, no need to put it off. Silence.

Edited by eFestivals

On 4/5/2018 at 5:17 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd agree with this.

They do seem to have a tie in with Tuborg though, which, in my opinion, is very regrettable, and does somewhat stifle the choice for punters who don't want to  bring their own alcohol in. 

On 4/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, Ex_ollie said:

Yep, absolutely. But you can't deny there is a whole bunch more in the way of options compared to Reading and Leeds where your options are Tuborg or Carlsberg  or Somersby 

Reading/Leeds contracts over the years has been switching between Carling and Carlsberg

in fact one year my Team got dragged in to run the Carling Cold Beer Amnesty bar

it works like this - for every can of beer handed in you end up with a Cold can of Carling.

I can assure you that in the back we had many thousands of cans so I wondered where they were all going to end up so I asked the Carling rep - amazingly they had planned to dump them all at some Council dump - 

and it was not all cheap cans - note the Fosters 

those shots are from Reading - on one of the days I spotted 5 Traders { they were not official traders they were the jokers you see selling cans from the back of a van } who showed up with massive trolleys - lets say one had ten cases { 24 cans in a case } so they wanted back ten cases { 24 cans in a case } of Cold Carling - well I soon directed them to the sign - I think the words were - Swap one can of unopened beer for One cold can of Carling so if they wanted to hand in 240 cans they would get back 240 cans but of course they did not want separate cans they wanted them in cases - well tough shit - they were clearly traders and there is no fucking way I was going to make it easy on them - between the five of them they would have ended up selling 1,200 cold cans of beer - not paying a penny in tax - Vat or trading fee - yes its true they were not happy bunnies - in the end they wheeled their trolleys away with their hot can and they struck me off their Christmas card list.

beer Contracts run for so many years but Carling has reduced its festivals Bids - shame really as I always preferred Carling.

Yes I know that you would think bars should have much more variety but you have the old ' supply problem ' 

Carlsberg favours England but Heineken favours Ireland perhaps in years to come they may move more into the English market.

I have to hold my hand up here - I could never understand why Carlsberg promoted Tuborg rather than normal Carlsberg as I am sure most Customers would prefer it. 

out1.thumb.jpg.e4f2994ac2610c6b41f7536a63de74f2.jpgamnesty1-800.thumb.jpg.143751d96532aef3734add6945892a74.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Reading/Leeds contracts over the years has been switching between Carling and Carlsberg

in fact one year my Team got dragged in to run the Carling Cold Beer Amnesty bar

it works like this - for every can of beer handed in you end up with a Cold can of Carling.

I can assure you that in the back we had many thousands of cans so I wondered where they were all going to end up so I asked the Carling rep - amazingly they had planned to dump them all at some Council dump - 

and it was not all cheap cans - note the Fosters 

those shots are from Reading - on one of the days I spotted 5 Traders { they were not official traders they were the jokers you see selling cans from the back of a van } who showed up with massive trolleys - lets say one had ten cases { 24 cans in a case } so they wanted back ten cases { 24 cans in a case } of Cold Carling - well I soon directed them to the sign - I think the words were - Swap one can of unopened beer for One cold can of Carling so if they wanted to hand in 240 cans they would get back 240 cans but of course they did not want separate cans they wanted them in cases - well tough shit - they were clearly traders and there is no fucking way I was going to make it easy on them - between the five of them they would have ended up selling 1,200 cold cans of beer - not paying a penny in tax - Vat or trading fee - yes its true they were not happy bunnies - in the end they wheeled their trolleys away with their hot can and they struck me off their Christmas card list.

beer Contracts run for so many years but Carling has reduced its festivals Bids - shame really as I always preferred Carling.

Yes I know that you would think bars should have much more variety but you have the old ' supply problem ' 

Carlsberg favours England but Heineken favours Ireland perhaps in years to come they may move more into the English market.

I have to hold my hand up here - I could never understand why Carlsberg promoted Tuborg rather than normal Carlsberg as I am sure most Customers would prefer it. 

out1.thumb.jpg.e4f2994ac2610c6b41f7536a63de74f2.jpgamnesty1-800.thumb.jpg.143751d96532aef3734add6945892a74.jpg

Well hopefully the council had the sense to distribute to employees rather than landfill them.

2 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Well hopefully the council had the sense to distribute to employees rather than landfill them.

I cant say - the rep first claimed they would be resold which I questioned  as many were well past their use by date - there was even some cans that did not have a ring pull so that shows you how old some were - many were covered in mud even although it was not muddy that year - we had truck loads of old cans - it would have cost them more to sort though them and even then the cans would have to be sterilised so they had a big problem on their hands - I am sure some would have ended up being drunk but how many I cant say as they were not shipped out until the day after we left.

3 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Just read that wet wipes could be set for a phase out too (single use, contain plastic ).

Andrex do degradable wetwipes, I'm sure many other companies will already be onto it.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:50 AM, eFestivals said:

So far, that's had them tell their bar & food/drink suppliers they can't use plastic straws. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a straw at a festival.

Mik Artistik always takes a few!

What's he going to throw in the air now if they get banned?!  Could be the biggest news out of this subject!

• 5 months later...
41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

seems like a question for Michael on thursday :) 

Good shout! Been meaning to mention it on here but didn't wanna start a new thread. I'm all for anything which reduces the waste at the end of the festival. Just wondering (if such a ban comes in) what people are thinking of using for spirits, mixers etc, and would thicker reusable plastic bottles like sports ones or those white screw cap bottles be allowed. Difficult one for them to try and implement surely.

3 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Good shout! Been meaning to mention it on here but didn't wanna start a new thread. I'm all for anything which reduces the waste at the end of the festival. Just wondering (if such a ban comes in) what people are thinking of using for spirits, mixers etc, and would thicker reusable plastic bottles like sports ones or those white screw cap bottles be allowed. Difficult one for them to try and implement surely.

yes for sure ... I always decant spirits into plastics so would like to know myself :) 

I think it was mentioned tonight that there's no plastic ban to be enforced but less plastic sold on site. Can only think of bottles of pop etc that they sold in plastic on site. 

Good news for those who like to decant into bottles like I do. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just had a read of that ... so I'm presuming the ice cream vans won't be selling cold drinks like coke and sprite anymore used to enjoy those for mixers but will work out something different not sure what yet as im not planning on lugging them on to site 

I would imagine they will sell cans. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just had a read of that ... so I'm presuming the ice cream vans won't be selling cold drinks like coke and sprite anymore used to enjoy those for mixers but will work out something different not sure what yet as im not planning on lugging them on to site 

As far I can tell cans of drinks are ok, just not plastic bottles!

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Cans.

HOW AM I GOING TO GET MILK NOW?! 

Honestly though... Will there still be milk available onsite? I love making White Russians with the Glasto milk ?

Remember last time when they sold out of milk on Sunday I even bought an overpriced cup of milk off of a coffee stand place just so I could keep drinking White Russians as I finished off the last of my Vodka and Kahlua watching Ed Sheeran.