Plastic Bottle Ban?

vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Banning single use plastics rather than all plastic containers makes the whole thing much, much more doable..

true.

But in a sensible world we still wouldn't make plastic multi-use containers, because they cause the exact same plastic rubbish problem, just at a slower rate.

Did anyone see the thing on TV about how they fished up loads of plastic in the sea.. 

Apparently if they did this for 5 years they would have collected tons of the shit but the people in power say NO we have to stop it getting into the sea in the first place.. 

Bollox if. We can clean the shit up then clean the shit up. 

Peace and whisky. G

10 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Did anyone see the thing on TV about how they fished up loads of plastic in the sea.. 

Apparently if they did this for 5 years they would have collected tons of the shit but the people in power say NO we have to stop it getting into the sea in the first place.. 

Bollox if. We can clean the shit up then clean the shit up. 

Peace and whisky. G

8938506.jpg

In all seriousness, you really can't clean some of these plastics up.  The biggest issue is the microparticles that permeate every part of the food chain.  You can't clean up tiny specks of plastics from a fish's gut.  Sure, we can clean up the big bits, but wouldn't it be better to not have them there in the first place?

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In all seriousness, you really can't clean some of these plastics up.  The biggest issue is the microparticles that permeate every part of the food chain.  You can't clean up tiny specks of plastics from a fish's gut.  Sure, we can clean up the big bits, but wouldn't it be better to not have them there in the first place?

Totally agree with you old son 

I do think that getting the big bits out of the sea would be a great start.. Can't do anything about micro stuff now it's to late for that... Saw some thing on TV today where they were putting milk in glass bottles lol so funny that the young people think it's an amazing idea lol 

Bring back the milkman init 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it's no start at all unless we first stop those bits in the sea being immediately replaced (and by more), otherwise it'd just be chasing your tail.

Yea I see your point but SOMETHING has to be done somewhere.. We're trying not to use to much plastic but you can't help it can you.. I agree that we have to stop it getting into the sea in the first place but as a single person you can't do alot.. The supermarkets HAVE to do something that's for sure.. I don't think we will see to much change in our life but for our kids and grandchildren I'd like to think that something will have happened.. 

Happy weekend all 

On 23/03/2018 at 7:20 PM, guypjfreak said:

Totally agree with you old son 

I do think that getting the big bits out of the sea would be a great start.. Can't do anything about micro stuff now it's to late for that... Saw some thing on TV today where they were putting milk in glass bottles lol so funny that the young people think it's an amazing idea lol 

Bring back the milkman init 

It's not too late.

I am by no means a yoghurt knitting lefty, but the whole "plastic in the sea" thing saddens me deeply.  Sadly the solution will take international cooperation, for which there is little appetite.

That being said it is humans who will suffer through human actions.  Yes of course wildlife will too, but hey that's been going on for the last 20,000 years and unfortunately 99.9% of us are benefitting from such suffering.

I am less worried about the "Environmental Impact".  Always amuses me when I hear people go on about the harm we are doing to the environment.  The impact humans are having on the environment is miniscule in the grand scheme of things. 

The earth has faced much worse in the past and will face much worse in the future, long after Homo Sapiens have become extinct.

• Upvote 1

What's a reusable bottle? If I have a plastic water bottle and refill it over the weekend it's clearly not a single use bottle but it also is?

There's a certain element of "be careful what you wish for" here. It seems like a really handy excuse to stop Glasto goers from bringing in their own booze at all (you can't have plastic or glass, so what are you going to keep it in?). (I know, cans, but that doesn't help when encouraging public transport too).

Or maybe we'll see the option to purchase some cardboard containers for decanting with a limit of 2 litres per person or such.

And yes, I to would think I was being overly paranoid were it not for the weirdness a few years back when they were talking about restrictions on how much booze you can bring in.

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It seems like a really handy excuse to stop Glasto goers from bringing in their own booze at all

it might end up having that effect - who knows where the 'plastic is bad' narrative is going to go? - but I'd say you were being overly paranoid if you think that's anything that's driving Glasto to think about banning plastic (even if they might welcome the happy side consequence of more beer sales).

We're going to have to get used to less convenience in our lives around these sorts of things, I think. We don't have the right to have everything we want, as proven by the fact that we don't want a fucked planet and we're fucking it anyway.

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What's a reusable bottle? If I have a plastic water bottle and refill it over the weekend it's clearly not a single use bottle but it also is?

There's a certain element of "be careful what you wish for" here. It seems like a really handy excuse to stop Glasto goers from bringing in their own booze at all (you can't have plastic or glass, so what are you going to keep it in?). (I know, cans, but that doesn't help when encouraging public transport too).

Or maybe we'll see the option to purchase some cardboard containers for decanting with a limit of 2 litres per person or such.

And yes, I to would think I was being overly paranoid were it not for the weirdness a few years back when they were talking about restrictions on how much booze you can bring in.

just buy a water bottle that isn't single use? We'll all look cooler then anyway Image result for toy story water bottle

This threads been playing on my mind recently and every aversion I have to getting rid of single use plastics seems to have a decent argument against it at this point. Similar to when they started charging for carrier bags and I laughed along with Jim Royal about how ridiculous it was but the reports are coming back at how much it's worked so far and I think that's great. It's completely changed all my habits.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Manchester is aiming to get rid of single use plastics, not sure how far or how hard they'll push it but good on us. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43488691

On 27/03/2018 at 3:25 PM, eFestivals said:

it might end up having that effect - who knows where the 'plastic is bad' narrative is going to go? - but I'd say you were being overly paranoid if you think that's anything that's driving Glasto to think about banning plastic (even if they might welcome the happy side consequence of more beer sales).

We're going to have to get used to less convenience in our lives around these sorts of things, I think. We don't have the right to have everything we want, as proven by the fact that we don't want a fucked planet and we're fucking it anyway.

Yeah I phrased that wrong. I meant from that weird thing a few years Glasto clearly don’t see the “punters can bring their own booze in” as the sort sacrosanct, major selling point of the festival that many on here do.

So if they figure the best way to reduce plastic waste is to also just have a straight up ban on bringing in liquids they’ll do it. And I’m sure some of the loudest voices here in support of better measures around litter and recycling at Glastonbury will be shouting the loudest against it. 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, DeanoL said:

Yeah I phrased that wrong. I meant from that weird thing a few years Glasto clearly don’t see the “punters can bring their own booze in” as the sort sacrosanct, major selling point of the festival that many on here do.

So if they figure the best way to reduce plastic waste is to also just have a straight up ban on bringing in liquids they’ll do it. And I’m sure some of the loudest voices here in support of better measures around litter and recycling at Glastonbury will be shouting the loudest against it. 

I disagree with that. I think they are acutely aware that the 'bring your own booze' is a major part of what makes Glasto special. They could have gone down the route of corporate sponsors years ago, but have long been against it to ensure the freedom of choice for the punters. While I don't disagree that saving the environment is a very different motivator, I'm sure they are at least aware of the need to look at alternatives.  

35 minutes ago, Ex_ollie said:

I think they are acutely aware that the 'bring your own booze' is a major part of what makes Glasto special.

I'd agree with this.

35 minutes ago, Ex_ollie said:

They could have gone down the route of corporate sponsors years ago, but have long been against it to ensure the freedom of choice for the punters. 

They do seem to have a tie in with Tuborg though, which, in my opinion, is very regrettable, and does somewhat stifle the choice for punters who don't want to  bring their own alcohol in. 

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

They do seem to have a tie in with Tuborg though, which, in my opinion, is very regrettable, and does somewhat stifle the choice for punters who don't want to  bring their own alcohol in. 

Yep, absolutely. But you can't deny there is a whole bunch more in the way of options compared to Reading and Leeds where your options are Tuborg or Carlsberg  or Somersby 

3 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'd agree with this.

I don't think that's anywhere near as big an issue as it used to be though. Choice does seem to have improved since the last fallow year.

Last year, the "main" beer switched from Tuborg to the marginally less vile Carlsberg, and over the past 4-5 years San Miguel has been gradually getting more common - it's probably in about a third of bars at this point. And most importantly, the Theatre Bar has been selling a good and gradually increasing range of continental lagers.

Meanwhile the Real Ale types have had a decent selection at the Acoustic Bar, Avalon Inn, and Bimble Inn for quite a long time as well as (from what I've been told) a competent but unexciting option at most other bars.

18 hours ago, Ex_ollie said:

Yep, absolutely. But you can't deny there is a whole bunch more in the way of options compared to Reading and Leeds where your options are Tuborg or Carlsberg  or Somersby 

I've never been to Reading or Leeds, but agree that there are a range of alternatives at Glastonbury.

16 hours ago, incident said:

Last year, the "main" beer switched from Tuborg to the marginally less vile Carlsberg

I din't go last year, so wasn't aware of this. Anything, just anything,  has got to be better than Tuborg.

19 hours ago, Ex_ollie said:

Range at Glasto is definitely waaaaay better than what was available at Download, I know that much.

On 16/02/2018 at 6:40 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Are you guys really pissing into Lenore bottles at nighttimes? This is a thing that's always bemused me a bit, idk if it's real or an in joke

Just catching up on this forum and happened to see this...

I'm afraid I feel partially responsible for this. When I first started to take my husband to the festival I suggested he take a fabric conditioner bottle because I'd heard about it and getting to the toilets in the night can be tricky...etc., etc.

Well I've created a sodding monster and years later he even brings them on regular camping trips with us. I've told him to stop but won't. I've had to be very firm about him not peeing anywhere near a ground sheet.

Sigh.

Regarding banning plastic, I'm sure it's about plastic bottle sales within the festival, not bottles brought in by ticket holders.

9 hours ago, Clareno7 said:

Regarding banning plastic, I'm sure it's about plastic bottle sales within the festival, not bottles brought in by ticket holders.

This must be the case. I'd bet on it.

As for Lenor bottles, here's a bit of laundry humur;

Image result for LENOR +JOKES

No,seriously - there are people out there that find that sort of thing funny.

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

This must be the case. I'd bet on it.

As for Lenor bottles, here's a bit of laundry humur;

Image result for LENOR +JOKES

No,seriously - there are people out there that find that sort of thing funny.

As a humanist, I find that funny.

On 4/5/2018 at 4:38 PM, Ex_ollie said:

I disagree with that. I think they are acutely aware that the 'bring your own booze' is a major part of what makes Glasto special. They could have gone down the route of corporate sponsors years ago, but have long been against it to ensure the freedom of choice for the punters. While I don't disagree that saving the environment is a very different motivator, I'm sure they are at least aware of the need to look at alternatives.  

There's a difference between freedom of choice and being able to bring your own booze in though. I'd wager most people are bringing their own because of convenience/cost, not choice. I certainly find the range available at Glastonbury to be pretty damn good.

Plus Eavis is on record as saying he wished people would drink less, and then they had that abrupt U-turn a few years back about how much booze you would be able to bring in.