Purchasing alcohol at Isle of Wight festival

Jamesh10

Hi this is my first year to Isle of Wight festival coming from reading fest last year as I can’t make the dates this year of reading I am going to the Isle of Wight , just wondering if Newport will be serving alcohol to festival goers in supermarkets etc with id of course on show and whether it’ll sell out as I’m getting the ferry via foot making it hard to transport alcohol to the island. Also what is the average age of people going? I am 19 and wondered how many people go in the 16-25 bracket

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and see you this summer!

Plenty of shops in Newport will be serving alcohol. The main town is just a 10-15 minute walk away from site. Plenty of choice with Sainsburys, Lidl etc.  Buying alcohol will not be a problem at all.

Regarding age group, you will find lots of people around the same age as you. The IOW fest tends to attract lots of teenagers and people in their early twenties, and then lots of old buggers in their 50s and 60s - mostly locals. 

I'm sure you will have a great time! Enjoy.  :)

and then lots of old buggers in their 50s and 60s - mostly locals....

Henrik - I resemble that remark (not a local though)!

I think the IoW is a good all-round festival - the age spread does, I think, add to the charm!

Not the best line-up this year - but nowhere near as bad as R&L!

20 hours ago, Jamesh10 said:

Hi this is my first year to Isle of Wight festival coming from reading fest last year as I can’t make the dates this year of reading I am going to the Isle of Wight , just wondering if Newport will be serving alcohol to festival goers in supermarkets etc with id of course on show and whether it’ll sell out as I’m getting the ferry via foot making it hard to transport alcohol to the island. Also what is the average age of people going? I am 19 and wondered how many people go in the 16-25 bracket

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and see you this summer!

I have heard its predominantly a more mature crowd... but then everyone will have different opinions. I know Leeds/Reading is a mostly young crowd, IOW will not be like Leeds/Reading I would put money on :)

3 hours ago, galbani said:

and then lots of old buggers in their 50s and 60s - mostly locals....

Henrik - I resemble that remark (not a local though)!

Good on you pal. I hope I'm still attending festivals when I'm 50+

My point being you can get away with it at IOW. I'm guessing you would feel pretty out of place walking around Reading Festival. I feel like I'm too old for Reading now. Pretty gutted about it after 12 consecutive years, but I've done my time and had a blast.

That's why I love Glastonbury: you wouldn't look out of place walking around at 70. IOW is the same.

57 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Good on you pal. I hope I'm still attending festivals when I'm 50+

My point being you can get away with it at IOW. I'm guessing you would feel pretty out of place walking around Reading Festival. I feel like I'm too old for Reading now. Pretty gutted about it after 12 consecutive years, but I've done my time and had a blast.

That's why I love Glastonbury: you wouldn't look out of place walking around at 70. IOW is the same.

well two more oldies going as we ve just booked  and cant wait

oh and we went reading too last year :)

• 3 weeks later...

Last couple of years "Bargain Booze"  have been at iow. You preorder and pay for booze before festival,  print off your receipt email and take it to their stall and collect to take to camp site . You don't have to collect all your purchase at once,  they'll hold some back.  prices are same as supermarkets but you can only buy in advance so watch for their link coming onto iow festival website. 

With regards to age it is mixed.  Last year for Clean Bandit in the big top it was mainly your age (a few thousand)  and obviously if acts appeal to your age,  that's where they'll be.  Have fun.