Summer Sessions 2018

Stuart1000

The Facebook page is still called Glasgow Summer Sessions and has the location as Glasgow so I doubt it’s moving. Maybe a day in Edinburgh at a push but I doubt that too. 

Many guesses for headliners? Calvin Harris, Foo Fighters and Green Day (after last time) would be my vague early prediction.

29 minutes ago, chickenfire said:

The Facebook page is still called Glasgow Summer Sessions and has the location as Glasgow so I doubt it’s moving. Maybe a day in Edinburgh at a push but I doubt that too. 

Many guesses for headliners? Calvin Harris, Foo Fighters and Green Day (after last time) would be my vague early prediction.

Twitter has lost Glasgow and their handle is now just SummerSessions too. I think it’ll more likely be a run of stadium/open air shows by 1 artist.

New logo, to avoid the Facebook link above.

DV2nTJRW0AEi1-8?format=jpg&name=large

So in the Edinburgh evening news this morning, some good news (hopefully) for us Edinburgh lot!

Up to eight open-air shows will be staged in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle under a new series of “Summer Sessions” gigs in August. The organisers of the T in the Park and TRNSMT festivals have confirmed they will be staging shows in the arena for the first time in over a decade. British pop diva Paloma Faith has already been confirmed as the first act for the line-up for the shows at the Ross Bandstand”

4 hours ago, chickenfire said:

So in the Edinburgh evening news this morning, some good news (hopefully) for us Edinburgh lot!

Up to eight open-air shows will be staged in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle under a new series of “Summer Sessions” gigs in August. The organisers of the T in the Park and TRNSMT festivals have confirmed they will be staging shows in the arena for the first time in over a decade. British pop diva Paloma Faith has already been confirmed as the first act for the line-up for the shows at the Ross Bandstand”

I thought that Princes Street Bandstand might’ve been involved in this, especially given the audience in Edinburgh in August.

Can’t imagine the headliners being at the same level as Glasgow however. Capacity is only 8,000 or so for shows like this, isn’t it?

EDIT: Only 2,500 according to the Council website actually.

Edited by Stuart1000

Princes Street Bandstand is only around the 2,500 limit, thats for the concrete based area.  If you also add in the grassy area then it's a bit over 10,000 in total.  Downside to the venue is that its on quite a steep hill, so not ideal for any bands with bouncy fans - easy to jump and land 20' forward.

Dont know Edi enough if there would be other better locations for outside concerts (excluding murrayfield and hibs/hearts) that tick the in-the-city criteria, anyone got ideas ?

For the Glasgow ones there is quite a tight limit on access to the park, so it really has to be done  between 2 weekends, so most likely to be some of the nights between Fri 24th Aug & Sun 2nd Sep.  who else would be available then and could get good sales for the 35,000 capacity ?

ta, D