Run DMC as Saturday headliner

ramragon

I'm old enough to have been around in the 80's so I remember Run DMC from the days when I was growing up, I'm just confused as to how they appear on a festival line up as headliner 35 years after releasing 'it's like that' for the first time and with a career spawning just just 3 UK top 30 singles barring re-releases (from the days when the charts were everything).

Admittedly a majority of people will recognise It's like that, Tricky and Walk this Way but I'm not sure how that translates in to a viable 90 minute set. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if they'd appeared in a 5pm slot for maybes 50 minutes. 

Price wise I could imagine Run DMC being at the top end of what they paid for this years acts, I can't help thinking that they could have booked someone much more relevant for the cash. 

Is it just me or can someone convince me they're the headliner they were booked to be ?

Edited by ramragon

I could make the same argument for Catfish and the Bottlemen. They have no top 30 singles, and listening to them and they just sound like a very generic indie band. Run DMC at least have a few songs you can sing and dance along to.

Edited by Boss84

Are singles relevant anymore? First Album Charted at 10 and Second got to Number 1..  

Run DMC is a bizzare choice and NOT a headliner. (Way past Sell by date - a mid afternoon novelty nostalgia act at best -

based on their current quality (see last years IOW on Youtube)    

Replace them with Chemical Brothers or Jamiroquai and that line up looks a whole lot better..

15 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Are singles relevant anymore? First Album Charted at 10 and Second got to Number 1..  

Run DMC is a bizzare choice and NOT a headliner. (Way past Sell by date - a mid afternoon novelty nostalgia act at best -

based on their current quality (see last years IOW on Youtube)    

Replace them with Chemical Brothers or Jamiroquai and that line up looks a whole lot better..

True, they aren't that relevant, but as a festival headliner, it's good to have those sing-along songs. Personally just don't see Catfish as a festival headliner. Run DMC either to be fair, I'd have had them a couple of slots down. Jamiroquai would have been a great choice though.

Edited by Boss84

In this day and age i would agree that charts have no relevance at all, back in the 80's things felt very different. If you liked a track you bought it there and then otherwise it was a case of 'good luck finding it' or wait till the album was released. There was no easy access digital like Spotify and alike where it doesn't matter when you buy or don't buy things, they're just there ! 

I don't disagree that you could make the same argument for the other bands but at least I could find reasons in my head for where they are on the card.

I reckon they were after jamiroquia and got beaten to it, and had to sling them into the line up last minute, I also don't see Catfish as headliners either, they seem to have shot to fame but they aren' all that in my opinion.  Mind you I used to bust some moves to it's like that and will be doing so again ha! 

40 minutes ago, Boss84 said:

I could make the same argument for Catfish and the Bottlemen. They have no top 30 singles, and listening to them and they just sound like a very generic indie band. Run DMC at least have a few songs you can sing and dance along to.

I know what you mean but at least I can see the organisers  thinking and progression behind it. 3 years ago played to a rammed calling out tent, 2 years ago they subbed the main stage to a massive crowd. There's nothing to make me think that pushing them up 1 slot to headline would not be popular despite the fact there doesn't seem to be a lot of love on here for them

I totally agree with all comments. For this slot, I think we will be off looking for other bands. If they’d have used this slot for Richard Ashcroft, then that’s the perfect festival for me. Out of interest, when KC organisers asked us who we would like to see play a few months back, I’d love to know how many people said Run DMC! I’d bet my tent on the fact it wasn’t an overwhelming choice amongst customers - seriously, what was the point of that exercise? (I do this as a job btw - market research). 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

I totally agree with all comments. For this slot, I think we will be off looking for other bands. If they’d have used this slot for Richard Ashcroft, then that’s the perfect festival for me. Out of interest, when KC organisers asked us who we would like to see play a few months back, I’d love to know how many people said Run DMC! I’d bet my tent on the fact it wasn’t an overwhelming choice amongst customers - seriously, what was the point of that exercise? (I do this as a job btw - market research). 

Maybes all the members of the band submitted an endless stream of requests asking them to book Run DMC 

Is it feasible to think that James will be given and extended slot ? 

Folk say tinie tempa only did around 50mins last year and he’s only got a small back catalogue of actual hits I’m thinking run dmc  not getting 90mins ! 

Edited by LOCHLAND5

13 minutes ago, ramragon said:

Why pay top cash for someone ur gonna get half a set from ? Was it not a case last year that tinie tipped up late and Kendal had a rigid finish time for him ?

How do we know they paid top cash ? i cant see james being cheap ................ they usually headline similar size festivals and still sell out arenas

You can say the same about all three headliners - they have very specific followers, with those followers being happy as Larry (whoever Larry is) they they're playing.

The vast majority of festival goers want to hear 'greatest hits' sets from headliners, tunes that they'll have heard either on the radio, in films or on 'Now' type albums. They wont want to hear album or obscure tracks that only the die-hard fans know.

Apparently Springsteen played to his fans at Glastonbury 2009, playing stuff from his albums interspersed with hits, not to the vast majority of the crowd who only knew a handful of songs.

15 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

How do we know they paid top cash ? i cant see james being cheap ................ they usually headline similar size festivals and still sell out arenas

James are headlining Party at the Palace in Linlithgow this year. It's only a small 7000 capacity festival.

1 hour ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Is it feasible to think that James will be given and extended slot ? 

Folk say tinie tempa only did around 50mins last year and he’s only got a small back catalogue of actual hits I’m thinking run dmc  not getting 90mins ! 

Happy to be corrected by Tinie was on for much longer than 50 minutes last year. Mrs Botton was shocked at the many tracks he played that she actually knew (& liked!)

They co headlined IOW last year so I guess have established their headliner credentials, however their set essentially centred around their 3 well know tracks filled with lots of waffle, shout outs to each other and Jam master Jay and lots of unintelligible shouting. They were awful. I can only assume they are a last minute replacement for someone who dropped out, surely Festival organisers talk to each other, I can’t imagine anyone involved with IOW would have anything good to say about their set to recommend them to anyone else. 

49 minutes ago, Peanutsinger said:

James are headlining Party at the Palace in Linlithgow this year. It's only a small 7000 capacity festival.

Errrrr party at the palace has some hefty corporate sponsors and it’s for charity ! 

The sun , Bauer radio , glens vodka to name a few ! 

I agree though RUN DMC as a headliner sucks pipe ! 

30 minutes ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

See you down the front ya moaning tossa’’s

put ya hands up ah yeah , put ya hands up ah yea !

So I take it your offer of paying people back if James and the hotpots play has fallen through and that you definitely won't be there if they play has changed a little

1 minute ago, ramragon said:

So I take it your offer of paying people back if James and the hotpots play has fallen through and that you definitely won't be there if they play has changed a little

That isn’t what I said it was to Jamj if they had spent his ticket money I’d pay her m back !

as for James and the other word you love to type ! I can change my mind can’t I ? 

Any how it’s not that bad if you watch that YouTube video ! Is it ?