What's everyone think then?

ramragon

Yeah.

The headliners are generally not a festival’s highlights in my experience.

Really looking forward to the dub pistols and the tea street band! The astrobeats doing talking heads and the skeleton key takeover.

James and OCS too.

Have been checking out the lucid dream and plastic mermaids - liking what I’ve heard, something a bit more (and much needed!) alternative!

Have to agree line up for Kendal this year is pretty desperate. Unfortunately we bought tickets in August when they first went on sale on the strength the last 3 or 4 years the lineups have looked pretty good. What makes it more frustrating is that other similar sized even smaller festivals seem to have quite good lineups this year. Suspect it will be our first and last visit to Kendal

Right a bit of a dig through the official playlist has done wonders for my excitement levels - one song from each artist and if any jumped out at me during work I made a quick playlist of their songs and added to my Kendal calling Spotify folder....got about two thirds down and added about 13 (smaller) artists to that folder to listen further. I'd recommend this playlist hugely 

There's strength in depth here, quality wise if not name wise 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 8:32 AM, efcfanwirral said:

Right a bit of a dig through the official playlist has done wonders for my excitement levels - one song from each artist and if any jumped out at me during work I made a quick playlist of their songs and added to my Kendal calling Spotify folder....got about two thirds down and added about 13 (smaller) artists to that folder to listen further. I'd recommend this playlist hugely 

There's strength in depth here, quality wise if not name wise 

I’m not in any doubt that it’ll be a great festival. There’s plenty there in the first release to spend time at & with further release(s) to come, I hope it thickens the content. 

My only gripe is the fact that we keep seeing the same artists return every 2/3 years & after coming for 10 years, it’s expensive when all you’re going to see is the lesser known bands that you can see elsewhere at much cheaper festivals. 

10 hours ago, Nelson23 said:

I’m not in any doubt that it’ll be a great festival. There’s plenty there in the first release to spend time at & with further release(s) to come, I hope it thickens the content. 

My only gripe is the fact that we keep seeing the same artists return every 2/3 years & after coming for 10 years, it’s expensive when all you’re going to see is the lesser known bands that you can see elsewhere at much cheaper festivals. 

That does make sense - I'm a bit more sporadic but to be fair I'm going to be on my 4th Kendal with the 3rd James appearance! 

I think I'm just lucky my previous year choices mean the only repeats for me are shed seven and James, with libertines and OCS being my main draw alongside slow readers club, pale waves etc who id want to see anyway at their own gigs but now don't need to.

• 2 weeks later...

After letting it settle in for a couple of weeks, I'm still on something of a downer about the lineup, both in terms of the stature of the headliners and the same-old-same-old nature of it all. 9 years in and this is the poorest in my view. 

Still. I always book the tickets well in advance of knowing who it's going to be, because the lineup is only one consideration, and barring visits to portaloos, there hasn't been a single minute I haven't enjoyed.

Edited by RossendaleR
  • Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, RossendaleR said:

After letting it settle in for a couple of weeks, I'm still on something of a downer about the lineup, both in terms of the stature of the headliners and the same-old-same-old nature of it all. 9 years in and this is the poorest in my view. 

Still. I always book the tickets well in advance of knowing who it's going to be, because the lineup is only one consideration, and barring visits to portaloos, there hasn't been a single minute I haven't enjoyed.

I fully agree. I keep looking at other lineups and there's not many I'd consider less exciting than Kendal this year. I am now looking forward to Slow readers Club and pale Waves now but the rest is still a complete bag of sh** for me. Such a shame.

There's a decent size crew of us who bought early bird tickets. It would be our first time at KC and I'm sure the festival itself is great but what an uninspiring lineup. I've given it a bit of time to sink in but it's not getting any better for me. I've been to a good few festivals and in my opinion it's just pretty naff. 

We're seriously weighing up whether to flog our tickets and go to another festival. I suppose we'll wait until any further announcements have been made but I'm not too hopeful.

Such a shame as I've heard nothing but good things about the festival

id advise anyone who doesn't like the line up to sell their tickets, why pay lots of money on a music festival where you aren't going to enjoy the music

Personally while im not keen on most of the headliners, and the main stage contains a lot of acts i've seen before, I know the type of music the festival puts on so I know there will be plenty on early on calling out or up in woodlands , riot jazz hardly ever has a poor act on , theres some great chilled out stuff on caveretti stage, chai wallah as a good mix usually. So I know I'll have a good time even if I am away from the main stage most of the time and im not sure who im listening too  

I honestly don’t think the lineup is too bad to be honest. It’s just the lack of imagination I have a problem with. Having done Kendal loads (now into double figures), I’ve seen most of these before, many times. 

Like thurlow84 has said, there’s plenty going on around the site to keep it entertaining & if the sun gets out, there’s fewer festivals out there to touch Kendal. 

No doubt I’ll still buy early birds next month for 2019 but if it turns out to be the same old same old again, I think I will get rid of them next time. It’s just the habit I don’t want to break this year. 

4 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Courteeners for Truckfest....that's smaller than Kendal Calling isn't it??

It is but down there they won't affect the demographic. Put them on up here that close to Manchester and the festival atmosphere would be negatively affected. I say this as a courteeners fan as well

On 14/03/2018 at 7:19 AM, SloopJohnB said:

I get all that....the Libertines can attract a rum crowd too though

Very true but thankfully it shouldn't be too bad as I don't think they've got the devoted appeal in the north to get those typed to decamp from here to the lakes for 3 days to watch one band

Edited by efcfanwirral