Kaleidoscope Festival

johnl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, I can't tell the exact times from that. Think we'll just head there for 5ish, maybe a bit before.

The more time I can spend in a shaded area (pub) the better, foolishly went to Lovebox last weekend for 2pm. Far too hot in the sun all day.

Theres loads of shade in Ally Pally from the trees too, however if you wanted to be in a pub theres three decent ones all nearby the Palace, The Starting Gate by Alexandra Palace station, then also Maid of Muswell is close by too, good selection of drinks in there. Theres also a good Wetherspoons with a huge back garden called The Mossy Well just a few minutes walk from Kaleidoscope too

2 hours ago, neil_clarky said:

Theres loads of shade in Ally Pally from the trees too, however if you wanted to be in a pub theres three decent ones all nearby the Palace, The Starting Gate by Alexandra Palace station, then also Maid of Muswell is close by too, good selection of drinks in there. Theres also a good Wetherspoons with a huge back garden called The Mossy Well just a few minutes walk from Kaleidoscope too

Thank you, will check them out. Arrive in London at 10am so will have plenty of time. 

On 07/20/18 at 11:10 AM, neil_clarky said:

The Mossy Well is my regular, not a great pub but I've had to make do with it since the O'Neils closed down.

For fuck sake!  Some little c**t-child lost their phohe who was sitting near me during Ghoestpoet and made up some bullshit I took it from the the little c**t. The c**t-child ask me if I saw his phone as he left it near me whilst he was off playing football during the gig and I said no as I literally saw nothing. So afterwards every now and then a security guard would stand virtually on top of me whilst on their phone (this happened about twice) so I ask the guy what's going and it turns out he's ringing the c**t-childs phone to see if I took it, as according to the c**t-child I took it from him both times unsuccessful and I tell the guy I don't know anything about a phone. About 15 mins later I go for a piss and in the middle of me unzipping in the toilets literally 3 security guards barge in to tell me I can't piss as they need to search me for the c**t-childs phone, so I make fun that they need 3 guards to be man enough to search and then they search me, find nothing and apologize.

Whilst all of this is happening not once did I see the c**t-child's c**t-parents at all, which probably explains whh the kid is such a c**t and making bullshit up.

Edited by jump
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jump said:

For fuck sake!  Some little c**t-child lost their phohe who was sitting near me during Ghoestpoet and made up some bullshit I took it from the the little c**t. The c**t-child ask me if I saw his phone as he left it near me whilst he was off playing football during the gig and I said no as I literally saw nothing. So afterwards every now and then a security guard would stand virtually on top of me whilst on their phone (this happened about twice) so I ask the guy what's going and it turns out he's ringing the c**t-childs phone to see if I took it, as according to the c**t-child I took it from him both times unsuccessful and I tell the guy I don't know anything about a phone. About 15 mins later I go for a piss and in the middle of me unzipping in the toilets literally 3 security guards barge in to tell me I can't piss as they need to search me for the c**t-childs phone, so I make fun that they need 3 guards to be man enough to search and then they search me, find nothing and apologize.

Whilst all of this is happening not once did I see the c**t-child's c**t-parents at all, which probably explains whh the kid is such a c**t and making bullshit up.

Gnarly story, man.

This was a good start for this fest and a really enjoyable day overall. The site is obviously fantastic, never liked gigs inside ally pally much but the bit where they put the main stage is perfect - incredible view over London and it's a big slope so everyone gets a great view (though it was like climbing up to the crows nest every time you wanted to get out). Other offerings were nice, though the bit they put the comedy in was a massive echoey room which really didn't work for it. Main bars were a bit rubbish only selling overpriced cans but there were enough of the 'craft' bars selling pints of beer and cider for it not to be an issue. We ended up watching the entire hour of hip hop karaoke for some reason which was kind of hilarious. Lots of kids obviously but I didn't have any issues with them unlike that awful story from @jump

The Lips were fantastic, obviously, stacked setlist and enjoyed it much more than their Brixton show last year. Seemed a bit stripped back visually with none of their usual LED wire things but it was a spectacle nevertheless. Assume the main stage wasn't big enough to handle it. 

I will say that the festival could do with booking a stronger/more suitable sub if they run it next year, what we saw of Ghostpoet was decent but felt very out of place, there was almost no crowd there for it and it was a very moody thing to lead into Flips with. Even just swapping them with The Go Team would've gone down a lot better. 

Yeah in hindsight Ghostpoet was a poor booking, a crowd wasn't there for them (I'm pretty sure those who were there were waiting for Flaming Lips) and the moody music didn't fit with the sunny day or the other bands. He's probably too big but I wonder if they could of had him headline the travellers stage instead as the night time would of really helped him. The sound playing up whilst he was on didn't help either.

For me Beans On Toast and Go Team were the stand outs, I've never seen so many people dancing at a Beans show before. Flaming Lips were fantastic, although the stage felt a little too small for them at times. There were a few songs I would liked them to have played like Bad Days but otherwise it's an appropriate hit heavy setlist.

Other than most of the food stalls running out of food by 7ish, it was well-organised I thought.  Sound at the main stage was a little quiet for my liking.

Agree with others, Ghost Poet was a poor dub choice, but loved all the comedy and the lips were as fun as ever.  Lovely day in the sunshine all in all!

34 minutes ago, fantomas said:

Other than most of the food stalls running out of food by 7ish, it was well-organised I thought.  Sound at the main stage was a little quiet for my liking.

Agree with others, Ghost Poet was a poor dub choice, but loved all the comedy and the lips were as fun as ever.  Lovely day in the sunshine all in all!

Yeah, echoes everyone's comments - spot on.

Great day apart from the food queues towards the end. I just settled for ice cream as it had the shortest queue, turned out to be a good pre-Flaming Lips snack. Will remember that for future reference when I’m flagging a bit after too much sun and booze. 

Great set from Lips but Mystery Jets were my faves. They should have definitely been on after Ghostpoet (he wasn’t bad just not the right mood for his stuff). 

Couldnt have picked a more stunning venue but it was a pain how far away it was, i’d definitely book closer accommodation next time rather than just staying at a friend’s in North London. Also the paths to exit the park were dark and I wouldn’t have minded more sign posts as my phone GPS was playing up. 

After the heavy security/dog presence at Lovebox last week it was nice to attend a more relaxed festival. 

One thing I did find was bizarre was the bar on the right of the stage.

It was on a slope so the counter was completely useless for putting drinks down or for preparing drinks for collection at the back table, as the card reader kept playing up you had to pay by cash so you're holding onto all of the drinks since you can't put them down whilst trying to go through wallet to find the coins to pay for it all.

3 hours ago, jump said:

One thing I did find was bizarre was the bar on the right of the stage.

It was on a slope so the counter was completely useless for putting drinks down or for preparing drinks for collection at the back table, as the card reader kept playing up you had to pay by cash so you're holding onto all of the drinks since you can't put them down whilst trying to go through wallet to find the coins to pay for it all.

I noticed that - made me laugh. Also wondered whether the bar staff were left with some kind of disorientation sickness after spending the day at 45%

Had a great day at this little festival. Setting was gorgeous. Beer, when available, was great, although seemed to run out really early....... my mate even got the last of the vodka at the bar to the right, after that there really was nothing left....... quite early too....... still probably not a bad thing in that heat......... I didn't eat all day as the queues always seemed crazy long.......

Beth Orton, of whom I own 3 albums, was a bit wishy washy for me, The Go Team were amazing and I bet Amazon got hit heaviky late Saturday night by people buying their stuff. I'm not a Mystery Jets fan (or hater for that matter, I have no feelings towards them either way) but they were good, and they played their good song ?.Now to move away from the concensus a little, GhostPoet blew me away...... I've seen him before, much stripped back, and he was good then.... on Saturday I felt him and his band were natural successors to Massive Attack...... and that's alot of praise from me...... Flaming Lips...... always a good show...... style over substance? Maybe. Wayne an arrogant fucker? Maybe............. Still, so much fun, and everyone seemed to like it too. Leaving was so much easier than the APE gigs in earlier June, where several people I knew (myself inckuded) managed to miss last train north and ended up crashing in St Pancras for the night

Loved it to be honest, great price too