Lineup 2020

randlfan

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Errr the distillers playing fifth down (or whatever) is very different to who they book to headline.

Andre Reading 2011 was the only headlining spot MCR have done in the UK. In 2011 they played loads of gigs below headlining. They are not a headline or nothing band - even in their prime!

They did do Download which was possibly the worst headline booking I've probably seen, not due their performance but WTF were they thinking booking it. It was also a very strong year for festival bookings generally...Reading for some reason not so much, take the reunited Pulp out of that and it looks quite weak to me, one of my less memorable one's, more fun int he campsite probably. They would headline though purely off of hype to return though and probably do an arena tour and that'd be them. 

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

@Matt42 do you think The Libertines reunion was bigger than a would-be MCR reunion?

What is your comparison you’re trying to make here? What year 2010 or 2015??

If you want me to say it - yes the libertines are bigger in the UK than MCR.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What is your comparison you’re trying to make here? What year 2010 or 2015??

If you want me to say it - yes the libertines are bigger in the UK than MCR.

The 2014 reunion, when they went on to headline in 2015 yeah.

Fair enough if that's what you think, personally I reckon an MCR reunion would be a bit bigger. If The Libertines could headline outright off the back of their reunion then I definitely think MCR could.

Just now, Steve1000 said:

An MCR gig now would probably be bigger than an MCR gig at any point in their prime 

Maybe I just don’t see it. I dunno where all these secret MCR fans that didn’t exist before are currently sat waiting.

How many people on this forum went in 2011? Just out of interest? At the time the MCR booking was heavily criticised and Melvin Benn actually had to come forward and defend the booking (I’m gonna try and find the YouTube video now). Melvin had to defend the point that three Reading headliners that year were playing below headline at other festivals (MCR, Strokes, Pulp). In 2010 Reading sold out quickly but in 2011 it took months to sell out.

Despite whatever power a reunion has, booking them as solo headliners would be a huge gamble.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Despite whatever power a reunion has, booking them as solo headliners would be a huge gamble.

The Libertines played 3rd down main in 2004, arguably at the height of their career. They headlined outright with their reunion. A big reunion creates a lot of hype, and MCR were headlining outright before they'd split up.

I promise I'll stop going on about The Libertines now.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The Libertines played 3rd down main in 2004, arguably at the height of their career. They headlined outright with their reunion. A big reunion creates a lot of hype, and MCR were headlining outright before they'd split up.

I promise I'll stop going on about The Libertines now.

It’s a bit of a duff point though. The libertines reunited and subbed in 2010 - they then reunited and played Hyde park. They then reunited again and headlined  Reading in 2015.

There was a lot to get them back on the map before they headlined in 2015. If you look at it objectively they climbed the lineup from 2004, 2010, 2015 just like plenty of bands do.

But as you say - immaterial to compare the two. 

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a bit of a duff point though. The libertines reunited and subbed in 2010 - they then reunited and played Hyde park. They then reunited again and headlined  Reading in 2015.

There was a lot to get them back on the map before they headlined in 2015. If you look at it objectively they climbed the lineup from 2004, 2010, 2015 just like plenty of bands do.

But as you say - immaterial to compare the two. 

Eh they didn't reunite again in 2015 haha, they reunited in 2014 for the Hyde Park gig and have been together since. And the 2010 sub slot was a special booking, they could have easily headlined that year I reckon.

My point is that they went from being third down in 2004 to headlining outright in 2015 with their proper reunion. MCR have already headlined outright in 2011, I can't see them being smaller than they were then if they came back.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Eh they didn't reunite again in 2015 haha, they reunited in 2014 for the Hyde Park gig and have been together since. And the 2010 sub slot was a special booking, they could have easily headlined that year I reckon.

What? How was 2010 not a proper reunion?

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

What? How was 2010 not a proper reunion?

It was a special, one off gig. Their reunion in 2014 preceded a proper tour, headline sets at festivals, an album etc and they're still officially together now.

I don't even know why it matters that much. I know I'm the one who bought The Libertines into it, but I don't really get how you can think their reunion/headline booking in 2015 was bigger than a would-be MCR reunion.

49 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The 2014 reunion, when they went on to headline in 2015 yeah.

Fair enough if that's what you think, personally I reckon an MCR reunion would be a bit bigger. If The Libertines could headline outright off the back of their reunion then I definitely think MCR could.

16 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

It was a special, one off gig. Their reunion in 2014 preceded a proper tour, headline sets at festivals, an album etc and they're still officially together now.

I don't even know why it matters that much. I know I'm the one who bought The Libertines into it, but I don't really get how you can think their reunion/headline booking in 2015 was bigger than a would-be MCR reunion.

Yeah you are wrong here, doesn't matter if it was a special one-off gig or not. The night before the tickets went on sale for R&L in 2010 it was very much circulating that they were reuniting for R&L which they did and played a sub slot....certain things going around that they booked them to sub instead but with a higher fee just in case Pete was all over the show and didn't turn up...not sure how true that is but nether the less it was a reunion.They played some smaller shows too earlier that year but at that time for when indie was still going strong The Libertines reunion was massive and on par imo with what a MCR reunion would be. I will say though this doesn't relate to which one is bigger that MCR would not return and headline a night as big as BST was....then go onto to do 3 nights Ally Pally, co-headline T...yes it wasn't the best year but still, R&L and finally an arena tour is pretty good. It finished them off but it's not like they were going to stay around and be full time headliners, they were only Kendall Calling, Victorious, Y Not etc in their prime.

Nobody is thinking about 2011, that’s not the nostalgia people want. The MCR people think of is the MCR of Three Cheers - The Black Parade.

Can we stop talking about this now. Everyone with half a brain knows that MCR would be bigger on a reunion than they ever were and everyone knows they would headline Reading & Leeds or Download. It’s just one guy who doesn’t see it, which is fine. 

On The Libertines, they are now an academy band and a band who play smaller festivals. They’re not a massive band anymore. 

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

giphy.gif.7f7b95948dcef01718524b98a50a7e3f.gif

See, that's the issue of just being young and pathetic rather than just accepting it was a reunion and you were wrong.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Nobody is thinking about 2011, that’s not the nostalgia people want. The MCR people think of is the MCR of Three Cheers - The Black Parade.

Can we stop talking about this now. Everyone with half a brain knows that MCR would be bigger on a reunion than they ever were and everyone knows they would headline Reading & Leeds or Download. It’s just one guy who doesn’t see it, which is fine. 

On The Libertines, they are now an academy band and a band who play smaller festivals. They’re not a massive band anymore. 

Not Download, R&L without a doubt,

Just now, Tom Connolly said:

just to confirm this is 10000% bait

Honestly with some of the stuff I've read on this forum I can't tell what's bait or not even if it should be completely obvious lmao.

I keep going back and forth on who I think will headline next year. Half of me thinks Slipknot are possible and part of Download's audience will do a Rammstein stadium date and the Slipknot day at R&L, but then I can't help but feel like they're just not going to appeal to the normal audience (which they're completely not, but if the other days are strong enough they should sell out weekend tickets anyway). Not sure who else they could go for for a rock/metal headliner. Any indication whether Biffy could be around? 

As for a hip-hop/grime headliner, I really can't see them not booking Stormzy after that Glastonbury performance. Can't see him breaking the bank and would shift tickets well enough. Drake is possibly the best act Reading could book in terms of their audience but not sure they'd be able to get him. Really can't see them ever turning to Kanye to be honest, suppose Travis Scott could coheadline too but I'll go Stormzy.

Theres probably a few other options. Kasabian might be around, Foals would make a lot of sense, Arctic Monkeys would be ideal but no hints of them being around, Liam Gallagher would be a pretty safe booking (based on sales rather than being able to perform), Killers could do it if around, and Catfish getting the bump up seems likely eventually.

What I'm going with at the moment is:

Biffy // Tyler, the Creator

Stormzy // Tame Impala sub

Liam Gallagher // Courteeners sub

18 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Honestly with some of the stuff I've read on this forum I can't tell what's bait or not even if it should be completely obvious lmao.

I keep going back and forth on who I think will headline next year. Half of me thinks Slipknot are possible and part of Download's audience will do a Rammstein stadium date and the Slipknot day at R&L, but then I can't help but feel like they're just not going to appeal to the normal audience (which they're completely not, but if the other days are strong enough they should sell out weekend tickets anyway). Not sure who else they could go for for a rock/metal headliner. Any indication whether Biffy could be around? 

As for a hip-hop/grime headliner, I really can't see them not booking Stormzy after that Glastonbury performance. Can't see him breaking the bank and would shift tickets well enough. Drake is possibly the best act Reading could book in terms of their audience but not sure they'd be able to get him. Really can't see them ever turning to Kanye to be honest, suppose Travis Scott could coheadline too but I'll go Stormzy.

Theres probably a few other options. Kasabian might be around, Foals would make a lot of sense, Arctic Monkeys would be ideal but no hints of them being around, Liam Gallagher would be a pretty safe booking (based on sales rather than being able to perform), Killers could do it if around, and Catfish getting the bump up seems likely eventually.

What I'm going with at the moment is:

Biffy // Tyler, the Creator

Stormzy // Tame Impala sub

Liam Gallagher // Courteeners sub

One of the issue's is, do older Slipknot fans want to be right in a mix of 16/18 year old kids. I think if Slipknot themselves had a choice between R&L and a one-ff date at say Victoria or Finsbury Park as a kind of Knotfest they would 100% do that as finding an undercard that is going to appeal enough that people would then fork out for a weekend ticket on pop/rap and grime is quite hard. R&L will eventually turn into a bigger Wireless with a side of rock..

Edited by thewayiam