Lineup 2020

randlfan

59 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

how the hell that got such a bad reaction when there are clearly white hip hop artists selling really well too I'm unsure. The sad thing is here that saying black is deemed bad when that's actually the least racist term you can describe them with.

From what I can understand of it, I don't think what you said was racist. Nevertheless, it's weird that you brought race into it at all.

17 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yup, I don't discredit what Drake can sell, I don't think there would be much between them. Not in a racist way but it's almost like black rappers and hip hop artists will sell more and I'm unsure that's the case. 

i didn’t think this was racist at all, just the most bizarre thing i’ve ever seen

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Benj said:

Your post is not slightly racist, not sure how accurate it is though. 

I was going to say, it got a pretty bad reaction from just having an opinion.

Post Malone is a white rapper, he's gone from playing 5th down to co-headlining the following year, he sold out arenas at £80+ a pop and just landed his 2nd UK number 1 album. He's insanely popular yet it's inaccurate and wrong for to suggest that Black musicians of the same genre are said to have more impact?. If for example Eminem isn't a seller like Drake is now then PM isn't either.....yet if we moved onto Kanye, Kendrick, Travis there would be arguments havenily suggesting their selling impact.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

mcr gonna announce their reunion outta nowhere

That seems further away now than it has ever been, sadly. Frank Iero was denying the reunion rumours so vehemently last month that he accused whichever Jonas Brother it was that claimed they were reuniting as lying to legitimise their band. Genuinely seems like it's not even being spoken about.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That seems further away now than it has ever been, sadly. Frank Iero was denying the reunion rumours so vehemently last month that he accused whichever Jonas Brother it was that claimed they were reuniting as lying to legitimise their band. Genuinely seems like it's not even being spoken about.

I hope for his sake that he doesn't think he's gonna make it big with his current band. They've got no chance. 

I really don’t think this market for MCR reuniting exists. Yes Panic and Fall Out Boy are doing well at the moment but they aren’t exactly making the same music right now - unless you want MCR to come back and make music for the American radio.

A tour would probably sell well but I can’t see them having longevity in their comeback unless they changed.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t think this market for MCR reuniting exists. Yes Panic and Fall Out Boy are doing well at the moment but they aren’t exactly making the same music right now - unless you want MCR to come back and make music for the American radio.

A tour would probably sell well but I can’t see them having longevity in their comeback unless they changed.

The market is there. An MCR reunion would be massive. Massive. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The market is definitely there. MCR are far more popular in that scene than Panic or FOB were when they were releasing 'emo' music, like far bigger. You'll have a generation of adults who were teenagers when black parade came out and then a younger generation who've been unlucky not to see them. It'd be absolutely massive. 

You both missed my point.

After whatever shows they do as part of the reunion tour I can’t see them sticking around anyway. The music they made back in the day is incredibly outdated.

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The market is there. An MCR reunion would be massive. Massive. 

I think - on a personal note, you’re overhyping their future reunion. I think a serious amount of their fan base has completely moved on.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

After whatever shows they do as part of the reunion tour I can’t see them sticking around anyway. The music they made back in the day is incredibly outdated.

I think - on a personal note, you’re overhyping their future reunion. I think a serious amount of their fan base has completely moved on.

Okay yeah I see what you mean, sorry about that. Yeah I would imagine it would be a one and done, but a reunion tour would be huge. 

As for their fanbase moving on: me and a few friends went to an emo club night back in February and tbh the atmosphere was absolutely shocking. Could barely hear singing for Sugar we're going down or nine in the afternoon, but then Helena came on and it was insane. A huge portion of the crowd (who were mostly there for a nostalgia trip) still absolutely loved MCR. Even if they're listening to new stuff now, if MCR reunited they'd be all over it. 

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I fully understand that you were saying that you can’t see them making new music after a reunion run. But you said that you don’t think the market for an MCR reunion exists. I think you’re understating just how revered they are. Put it this way, three years ago when they were teasing stuff on social media which turned out to be the Black Parade reissue, Twitter broke fully for several minutes because people were going so nuts about it. Nostalgia is a massively lucrative market and an MCR reunion would mean a hell of a lot to an entire generation of people. They are the Nirvana of the 2000s and the last band that truly made an impact on popular culture at large. 

I also refute that their music is dated. You listen to Three Cheers and it still sounds as exciting. 

Edited by Andre91

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Obviously we don’t know exactly what would happen if MCR reformed but history shows us that fans in general don’t ‘move on’

Nostalgia sells and there are many examples in just about every genre that people flock back to see their favourite bands from the past.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Plus, FOB and Panic! were nowhere near the size of MCR at their peak when all three were around. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I can see it, FOB and Panic haven't grown because of new pop-rock tunes, have they? The biggest hits of the night are still from the emo era - it's just fans who were once too young to go see them have been drawn back thru nostalgia. I think if they ever come back, My Chemical Romance would be bigger than either of those.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, as far as I can see it, FOB and Panic haven't grown because of new pop-rock tunes, have they? The biggest hits of the night are still from the emo era - it's just fans who were once too young to go see them have been drawn back thru nostalgia. I think if they ever come back, My Chemical Romance would be bigger than either of those.

I think Panic have grown a bit with their recent output, some of their newer singles have charted pretty well. But yeah generally I agree with what you’re saying, an MCR reunion would obviously be bigger than both.

21 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I was going to say, it got a pretty bad reaction from just having an opinion.

Post Malone is a white rapper, he's gone from playing 5th down to co-headlining the following year, he sold out arenas at £80+ a pop and just landed his 2nd UK number 1 album. He's insanely popular yet it's inaccurate and wrong for to suggest that Black musicians of the same genre are said to have more impact?. If for example Eminem isn't a seller like Drake is now then PM isn't either.....yet if we moved onto Kanye, Kendrick, Travis there would be arguments havenily suggesting their selling impact.

What do you mean by impact? Credibility?

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I would tend to agree with FOB in terms of the biggest songs being from that era. Save Rock and Roll was massive for them but I think that was only down to the nostalgia of them being back. Whereas Panic absolutely have gotten to be the size they are because of their pop tunes. They only play one song from the emo era and they weren’t selling out the O2 prior to going pop. 

The point I was making is that Panic and FOB (FOB played Wembley on their last tour before going on hiatus) weren’t huge arenas bands and festival headliners back in the day whereas MCR were. A reunited MCR would certainly be bigger than both. 

Edited by Andre91

I disagree with a lot of points here but I guess time will tell.

I think Panic and FOB have grown in recent years because they’ve released a lot of songs that suit the radio. These songs could be made by anybody.

I think MCR’s market is more limited than some users on this form would believe. Yeah they would probably come back and play some decent shows but it will quickly stop dead in it’s tracks - unless they start putting out songs like centuries or high hopes. If they did that I can’t see their old fan base sticking at all - even some fans had problems with danger days.

I remember very well their 2011 headline set being met with a lot of confusion as they were not playing that high at most festivals across the world. Their crowd in 2011 was not that big at all. I was there.

I don’t doubt that reunion hype might help but they aren’t some legendary band in waiting ready to shake the world. A couple of ex-emos/scene kids getting MCR trending on twitter is not shutting down the site.

If they reformed I could see them coheadlining but they won’t headline solo again. They could barely sell their own day last time.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Do you actually believe that?

Yes I do. Reading’s market has moved on so fast that I cannot see it happening at all. A coheadline of say My Chemical Romance and a hip hop artist would work but they won’t sell it out on their own.

Plus if we’re talking about a potential reunion it’s a few years off. Say it happened in 2022, their last album was released in 2010. If Reading is aiming at the 15-17 bracket to sell tickets. The kids will have barely been alive for the entirety of My Chem’s career. Time moves on.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I disagree with a lot of points here but I guess time will tell.

I think Panic and FOB have grown in recent years because they’ve released a lot of songs that suit the radio. These songs could be made by anybody.

I think MCR’s market is more limited than some users on this form would believe. Yeah they would probably come back and play some decent shows but it will quickly stop dead in it’s tracks - unless they start putting out songs like centuries or high hopes. If they did that I can’t see their old fan base sticking at all - even some fans had problems with danger days.

I remember very well their 2011 headline set being met with a lot of confusion as they were not playing that high at most festivals across the world. Their crowd in 2011 was not that big at all. I was there.

I don’t doubt that reunion hype might help but they aren’t some legendary band in waiting ready to shake the world. A couple of ex-emos/scene kids getting MCR trending on twitter is not shutting down the site.

If they reformed I could see them coheadlining but they won’t headline solo again. They could barely sell their own day last time.

I thought the main issue with Danger Days was that it was crap?

Yeah they were past their peak in 2011. They were out of style and fans had moved on. If their initial time hadn't passed then there would be no nostalgia to be had.