Lineup 2020

randlfan

6 minutes ago, WeeSket said:

No chance Slipknot are headlining. Booking a heavy metal act to headline doesn't make any sense with the kind of audience Reading and Leeds are trying to attract.

R&L is a zeitgeist festival book that books what is popular. Slipknot are incredibly popular at the current time. I think everything has just lineup up perfectly for them to be there next year. 

24 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

R&L is a zeitgeist festival book that books what is popular. Slipknot are incredibly popular at the current time. I think everything has just lineup up perfectly for them to be there next year. 

Not with the school leavers crowd that they are trying to sell to. Most important thing is who will sell the most tickets and Slipknot don't appeal anywhere near as much as someone like Stormzy.

20 minutes ago, WeeSket said:

Not with the school leavers crowd that they are trying to sell to. Most important thing is who will sell the most tickets and Slipknot don't appeal anywhere near as much as someone like Stormzy.

Right, but Stormzy and Slipknot could easily both play? People always seem to make this 'school leavers' argument but in general I think the target is more so 17-30, and by that logic Slipknot would go down fantastically.

There's alot of people around my age (22) that listened to Slipknot when they were younger but wouldn't have ever had the chance to see them until now/wouldn't venture to Download for it. They could easily have someone like Dua Lipa headline the Radio 1 tent that night too, which would more than satisfy the 'school leavers'. Also, as others have said, I'm sure many would go see Slipknot purely out of curiosity.

There's no reason there can't be a heavier day like this year, in which A Day to Remember, Enter Shikari and The Distillers all occupied prominent slots despite not fitting the supposed demographic.

For me, at the moment, Slipknot and Stormzy are the two most likely and sensible options. Then some mix of The Killers or Catfish/Tame Impala/Bring Me to fill the third slot with Two Door/Vampire Weekend/Bombay Bicycle Club in big indie slots.

Edited by frontsidecab

23 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Architects to sub Slipknot. 

Any of these would do nicely: 

Slipknot / Bring Me The Horizon / Don Broco / Bullet For My Valentine / Neck Deep 

Slipknot / Architects / Don Broco / Bullet For My Valentine / Neck Deep 

Slipknot / Tyler, The Creator / Parkway Drive / Bullet For My Valentine / Neck Deep 

Bullet would be crap but after their secret set this year, I wouldn’t be shocked to see them make a main stage appearance. There’s no chance in hell they should be above 4th down. Bunch of chancers. 

I think that if they do book Slipknot, they cater the entire day to a more rock audience like they did with Foos this year. Get those day tickets flying out. 

On a side note, I’ve got a sneaky feeling that Babymetal are going to turn up on the main stage. 

I can see the top one just about with bullet 4th at very best, they've dropped a lot since last playing that slot. The others just look like Download lineups.

5 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

BMTH are not lacklustre, they headlined APE and absolutely smashed it. One of the best headline sets i’ve ever seen, went with my mate who’d never heard any BMTH and they loved it as well

You point out the issue there, it's still an APE show that still didn't sell out which is a subbing slot equivalent booking.

18 minutes ago, WeeSket said:

As someone who used to attend year in and out and have recently returned just for single days to the heavier days if you like, I'd be interested in what they could do with a Slipknot day, I wouldn't even entertain a Stormzy day 

7 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

Right, but Stormzy and Slipknot could easily both play? People always seem to make this 'school leavers' argument but in general I think the target is more so 17-30, and by that logic Slipknot would go down fantastically.

There's alot of people around my age (22) that listened to Slipknot when they were younger but wouldn't have ever had the chance to see them until now/wouldn't venture to Download for it. They could easily have someone like Dua Lipa headline the Radio 1 tent that night too, which would more than satisfy the 'school leavers'. Also, as others have said, I'm sure many would go see Slipknot purely out of curiosity.

There's no reason there can't be a heavier day like this year, in which A Day to Remember, Enter Shikari and The Distillers all occupied prominent slots despite not fitting the supposed demographic.

For me, at the moment, Slipknot and Stormzy are the two most likely and sensible options. Then some mix of The Killers or Catfish/Tame Impala/Bring Me to fill the third slot with Two Door/Vampire Weekend/Bombay Bicycle Club in big indie slots.

Very possible but don't see them spending headliner money on Slipknot when they could get someone else and fill the smaller stages with more heavy metal acts.

5 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

The target audience is not 17-30, you may get some older day ticket holders but it's way past in general being a festival for 30 year olds, difference when I attended being I was 18 at the start and by 24 I felt my time was up and that was a stretch.

Dua Lipa in the Radio 1 tent....you've gone mad lol, the gulf in size between her and Bastille is huge and they rammed it out stupidly against Foos, she'd probably sub. 

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I can see the top one just about with bullet 4th at very best, they've dropped a lot since last playing that slot. The others just look like Download lineups.

I don’t know about you but I don’t think Tyler, The Creator would play Download.

Personally I don’t think any of those lineups @Andre91 suggested scream download any more than Foo Fighters/A Day To Remember/Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes/The Distillers/Enter Shikari did this year. 

I reckon a day like that with a combo of Stormzy/The Killers/Foals/The Strokes etc. Headlining the rest of the weekend would be perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

Hate to say it but I agree with some of the others, I don't see Kanye doing Reading/Leeds anytime soon and I can't see Slipknot headlining Reading. It doesn't fit in with the image the festival is currently trying to adopt especially with V festival and Bestival off the scene but with an audience up for grabs.

Could see them pulling out the stops to get to Stormzy to headline.

Think BMTH is about as heavy as Reading will go now or Biffy Clyro.

They will be looking to book the likes of Foals, Tame Impala and eventually Royal Blood and Wolf Alice to headline the festival.

If Slipknot weren't headline level they might be invited to sub or play the main stage but as an actual headliner I don't see it, even 21 pilots weren't really given the closing spot in favour of giving it to Post Malone.

The Foo Fighters are heavy but it's a different kind of heavy to what Slipknot offer.

I like both, I even have Slipknot tickets for the upcoming tour, can't see them headlining Reading though. Happy to be proved wrong but I think they will prefer other options with their current target market.

Reading's target market today in my opinion I'd go as far as to say its 14-18. You really want to go at 14 but by the time you are 16, you and all your mates build it up as the blow off to the summer. By the time you get to 20 you are already moving on to Glastonbury, Ibiza, mid sized festivals, festivals abroad and foreign travel. I hate to say it about Reading because I used to love it but you outgrow it. Other Festivals offer way more around the music, have better lineups and are way better value. Try a festival abroad and you'd be amazed how much you get for a modest price.

Edited by robillustrates

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Reading and Leeds are not targeting 14 year olds. Brand New haven’t been booked in years. 

Brand New haven't been relevant for years.

Lana is more likely to do BST, All Points East, Lattitude and especially Glastonbury over Reading and Leeds I personally think. She also probably would want to headline if she was offered it, she's headlined other festivals including Electric Picnic now. She's not a sub anymore and has what 4/5 full albums and writing another.

Prophets of Rage would make an excellent sub headliner though. Considering Limp Bizkit headlined Boomtown which equals about 3rd-5th on main or headlining Radio 1 these days. I suspect the superband status would push them up to sub headline an act. 

12 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Prophets of Rage would make an excellent sub headliner though. Considering Limp Bizkit headlined Boomtown which equals about 3rd-5th on main or headlining Radio 1 these days. I suspect the superband status would push them up to sub headline an act. 

Prophets didn't headline Boomtown's "main stage", nor did Limp Bizkit and even if they did it's not really a headliners festivals. Comparing Boomtown's line up for similar act's status isn't really doable as it's a weird mash up festival. I mean last year Goldie and Gorillaz were the main stage headliners, no one in their right mind would say they are two acts of equal billing.

48 minutes ago, jump said:

Comparing Boomtown's line up for similar act's status isn't really doable as it's a weird mash up festival.

yup.

Without meaning to demean what Boomtown do, their live acts are about the equivalents for a 15,000-ish sized festival rather than Boomtown's 66,000.

It works for Boomtown cos of everything that the festival is, but it's definitely not a good measure for comparison with other fests.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yup.

Without meaning to demean what Boomtown do, their live acts are about the equivalents for a 15,000-ish sized festival rather than Boomtown's 66,000.

It works for Boomtown cos of everything that the festival is, but it's definitely not a good measure for comparison with other fests.

I generally think of Boomtown as 3 or 4 different festivals stitched together in a weird patchwork, it's definitely not mainstage focussed like some other festivals are which is why they can get away with "smaller" headliners. Tbh it's well worth the experience regardless of the headliners.

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Can’t wait for the Ariana Grande headline set next year. Just because slipknot are popular doesn’t mean they are popular with their target audience.

— — —

Still convinced no slipknot. There is like 10+ headliners that would get a better reception so I don’t see why they would bother honestly.

Main things are that they are far off main demographic (further than any headliner in the past 5 years) and have toured heavily recently with download and these shows.

Edited by gfa