Lineup 2020

randlfan

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

Why not? They've played the festival five times before.

And this is why I'd never set foot at Reading and Leeds unless they got a really good booking.... crap pop and crap rock.

Literally only came in to see if MCR, BMTH or Blink 182 might play...

Certainly wouldn't stay in the campsites with bands like that playing, giving the demographic.

Edited by madmaninabox

1 minute ago, madmaninabox said:

And this is why I'd never set foot at Reading and Leeds unless they got a really good booking.... crap pop and crap rock.

Literally only came in to see if MCR, BMTH or Blink 182 might play...

All those bands you've mentioned have also played the festival numerous times as well though.

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

All those bands you've mentioned have also played the festival numerous times as well though.

Yes I know. That's why I came into see if they would play. 

Reading and Leeds should give up on decent bands like that and go full lad rock that it seems to like, so I can watch those bands at Donnington, where they belong....

if R+L want the dark fruits demographic go after them, don't make have to associate with them to watch decent rock bands....

Edited by madmaninabox

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what does Strongbow Dark Fruits even taste like? Never sampled its dubious charms before.

Also, while Milton Keynes being close enough to Reading to mean they most likely won't do this as well, isn't there talk MCR might have extra UK dates alongside the MK dates?

Rumoured for Glastonbury.

54 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

- Good for you - maybe when you're a bit older you realise how you you don't represent every teenager in the same way you won't represent every adult, online streaming charts and the chart suggest lad rock is not the biggest attraction anymore.

- So why the fuck did Reading book Kendrick Lamaar, ah yes because if they only booked lad rock people in their late 20s would be the youngest punters bar a few exceptions. Why are they chasing Billie Eish? Because they aren't a rock fest....

- They may pull in large crowds, generally large crowds of hyper aggressive males, like at T in the Park who do too many drugs, drink too much, fight with eachother and cause problems. Reading would be stupid to book them over The 1975, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, U2, Iron Maiden, Metallica or Billie Eilish, Kendrick Lamaar, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy or any other band on the planet with a better fanbase

christ, bet you’re fun at parties. Has a Courteeners fan set pyro off next to you to upset you or something? 

• Like 1

This all kicked off a bit...

Honestly, would love to see Gorillaz booked, but just can't see it happening unfortunately. Think they are more likely to put on their Demon Dayz Festival again somewhere (hopefully in the UK). Would love to be proven wrong, wanted to see them for years.

Still just got this nagging feeling that they won't get a rap headliner to be honest. Blink 182 > Bring Me The Horizon/Biffy Clyro > Liam Gallagher, screw it. Just keep Courteeners as far away as possible please.

26 minutes ago, LG X said:

christ, bet you’re fun at parties. Has a Courteeners fan set pyro off next to you to upset you or something? 

I can I assure you I'm fun at parties, and the music is normally pretty fucking good as well as anyone who likes the Courteeners, Kaiser Chiefs or The Vaccines is denied the password to the wireless speakers.......

2 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

Jesus Christ! Can you lend me your time machine....

And the 'dark fruits' genre is popular with 30-40 year old drunks who grew up on the Libertines/Arctic Monkeys/Courteeners/Pigeon Detectives, not with teens. If Readings bookers think teens are still listen to dark fruits music their way behind the curve. 

Hip hop/Rap/Soundcloud or your new wave of Brit-punk is where it's at for that demographic. 

Where does indie end and dark fruits begin?

Because from going to gigs/festivals/reading music press/speaking to younger folk at work the kids are definitely bang into it.

Gerry Cinnamon is a huge ticket shifter, there’s tons of kids at Liam shows. The Courteeners, Blossoms, DMAs loads of them.

I think the difference being though is that the kids listen to that but then will stick on some Aitch or Suicide Boys or Billie Eilish after. They aren’t limiting themselves.

Edited by metallimuse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Where does indie end and dark fruits begin?

Because from going to gigs/festivals/reading music press/speaking to younger folk at work the kids are definitely bang into it.

Gerry Cinnamon is a huge ticket shifter, there’s tons of kids at Liam shows. The Courteeners, Blossoms, DMAs loads of them.

I think the difference being though is that the kids listen to that but then will stick on some Aitch or Suicide Boys or Billie Eilish after. They aren’t limiting themselves.

Somewhere around Catfish and the Bottlemen if this was an left-right musical chart between Churches and The Pigeon Detectives if that makes sense.....

I'm not denying a segment of young people are into indie music/dark fruits music. (Although in my experience they lean far more to the 'indie' end than the dark fruits (lad rock) end of that spectrum. I.e they'd reach for Arctic Monkeys WPSIAM long before The Courteeneers NNF).  But there's also a huge segment of young people who are into metal or into rap or into whatever. One of the great bonuses of accessibility of music is that it definitely makes genres that mainstream media might have wanted to pillar and kill off accessible to everyone, the downside is it keeps genres that really should have gone past their natural life cycle and being usurped alive.....

I find the way reading tries to coalesce these vastly different groups (yes, 'younger' people are more open to diversifying their music tastes than perhaps in the past but still) baffling to be honest and always have..... which is probably why I lean towards festivals with much more defined 'We Are A Rock Festival, Live With It Or Fuck Off' type billings.

As I said I only came here the first place to weigh up the possibility of getting a day ticket if BMTH, Blink182 or MCR were booked. Seems like that might be an option for at least one of these bands... fair enough.

Edited by madmaninabox
  • Upvote 1

Hello there, 

Past few years I have been hitting up festivals and gigs, more and more. Im growing up I guess - so looking at preidictions and potentially ideas for festivials is a given. Any real suggestions or bets on whos doing Leeds and reading this year - or is it purely speculation and luck.... Which leads me to my next question - how are festvials run? Like who books the artists? and why, who selects the range of talent and people etc., 

Obviously, some festivials lean into different genres than others etc.,.... but just generally curious about how such big festivials get setup and who makes decisions like who performs and not, as well as line up posts and what not.

10 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

Jesus Christ! Can you lend me your time machine....

T was shut down because it attracted a certain demographic and not a demographic any festival should actively court.

And yes bands like Liam Gallagher and the Courteeners are exactly the kind of bands that shouldn't be near any sensibly booked festival.

And the 'dark fruits' genre is popular with 30-40 year old drunks who grew up on the Libertines/Arctic Monkeys/Courteeners/Pigeon Detectives, not with teens. If Readings bookers think teens are still listen to dark fruits music their way behind the curve. 

Hip hop/Rap/Soundcloud or your new wave of Brit-punk is where it's at for that demographic. 

Bet you’re a Soundcloud rapper ain’t you mate

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think lack of concrete line-up info means everyone's kinda gone a bit strange in this thread.

Unless they've actually not finished booking it yet. Outside possibility that's the case.

Yeah we definitely need the first announcement to get the thread back on topic!