Lineup 2020

randlfan

Right so I’m probably gunna annoy a lot of people by saying this. I like rage and I like the subways. I’m 20 and the fact is that the festival is mainly filled with my generation who know the subways more than rage... what’s the chances the subways pull a crowd similar size to rage or bigger  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Preensie said:

Right so I’m probably gunna annoy a lot of people by saying this. I like rage and I like the subways. I’m 20 and the fact is that the festival is mainly filled with my generation who know the subways more than rage... what’s the chances the subways pull a crowd similar size to rage or bigger  

...what?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Preensie said:

AgileThisAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, La fiesta said:

I just refuse to believe this, Download got AC/DC along with RATM in 2010, also on the lineup that year were BFMV & 30STM who were doing arena tours at the time and Aerosmith (who did wireless a few year prior if my memory is correct). 

I wish R&L would be imaginative in their bookings even if it means taking a step backwards, could have had Iggy Pop, Peter Hook, Bright Eyes or Johnny Marr, as they're all playing across Europe the same weekend. Pete's playing with The Libs all summer, why not try for a one off Babyshambles show? I know its very Glastonbury-esque but Bluedot managed to get Bjork on a UK exclusive a R1 headline on a night opposite to Rage would have got a few ears perked up. I've no issues with the headliners but if R/L are insistent on going down this route I wish they'd own it by booking an outrageous headline like Skrillex. Hows Johnny Rottens butter fund doing, try for a one off show? I don't know, this is just me speaking out loud but for gods sake do something Melvin man. The first year I went to Leeds Slayer played the same stage as The Streets and The Arctic Monkeys, you've lost your balls.

R&L doesn’t need to rely on old farts. Download has its own thread here. 

• Upvote 1

I'm 20 and have never met anyone my age who cares about The Subways and if they do they didn't care enough to mention them in many discussions i've had with people about music.. They played Kendal Calling last year and out of about a group of twenty of us, two of us went to see them for about two songs, my group is in no way representing all people in my age group but for me The Subways are a band that didn't survive the indie landfill of the mid-2000's as well as other bands such as Arctic's, Wombats, Kooks, in my opinion they're in the same boat as Bloc Party and it would be just as absurd to suggest they'd pull a crowd bigger than Rage

Edit: Probably unfair to compare Bloc Party to The Subways as the former is probably still a lot more popular nowadays

Edited by OnlyRevolutions

18 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

The Subways playing the R&L mainstage in 2020 is baffling. Literally the equivalent of them booking The Pigeon Detectives or Reverend & The Makers. More of an act you'd expect to see mid way through the day at somewhere like Ynot or Truck.

Christ i know, i doubt many school leavers know rock n roll queen let alone who the bloody subways are

honestly bizarre

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Saw Zuzu tonight, would be a good booking for the festival republic stage early on. 

Think she played somewhere around there last year,  Remember thinking it was a great booming after seeing her support swmrs. She’s quality, would love her on this years lineup

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Think she played somewhere around there last year,  Remember thinking it was a great booming after seeing her support swmrs. She’s quality, would love her on this years lineup

Absolute quality act, her and The Mysterines making waves on the Liverpool scenes rn! 

Both played London shows last Wednesday and couldn't go either cos of exams :(

Both would be great bookings especially given they're female fronted and rising very fast, can see both on FR maybe Mysterines on Pit/R1 at a big push 

35 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Absolute quality act, her and The Mysterines making waves on the Liverpool scenes rn! 

Both played London shows last Wednesday and couldn't go either cos of exams :(

Both would be great bookings especially given they're female fronted and rising very fast, can see both on FR maybe Mysterines on Pit/R1 at a big push 

The Mysterines headlined Introducing last year so they're on the festivals radar, can see them coming back for an early slot in the pit, would say they're still far too small for a slot in the R1 tent

3 hours ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

I'm 20 and have never met anyone my age who cares about The Subways and if they do they didn't care enough to mention them in many discussions i've had with people about music.. They played Kendal Calling last year and out of about a group of twenty of us, two of us went to see them for about two songs, my group is in no way representing all people in my age group but for me The Subways are a band that didn't survive the indie landfill of the mid-2000's as well as other bands such as Arctic's, Wombats, Kooks, in my opinion they're in the same boat as Bloc Party and it would be just as absurd to suggest they'd pull a crowd bigger than Rage

Edit: Probably unfair to compare Bloc Party to The Subways as the former is probably still a lot more popular nowadays

I would say arctics survived the mid-2000's? AM was massive?

The Subways is such a strange booking, is it their only show as it could be a cheap exclusive i suppose getting their older fans in I suppose. Do they tour often?

12 minutes ago, defender4 said:

not a single person i know, me included, has ever heard of the subways

bit of a dead booking i can’t lie, especially for the main stage

just move idles already ffs

If there's only one band on the main stage youve never heard of youre doing well!

It is a strange one though, its not like they made any real splash the first time

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

I would say arctics survived the mid-2000's? AM was massive?

Yeah that's what i'm saying, they rose to fame during it and managed to come out the other-side as one of the biggest bands in the country and still remain as headline status today, The Subways rose to fame during it and have gone down like a lead balloon ever since

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, defender4 said:

not a single person i know, me included, has ever heard of the subways

bit of a dead booking i can’t lie, especially for the main stage

just move idles already ffs

Regardless of how irrelevant of a booking they are nowadays they do have some good songs, try listening to Oh Yeah and Rock & Roll Queen if you're interested

1 hour ago, NerdsNatterings said:

Saw Zuzu tonight, would be a good booking for the festival republic stage early on. 

1 hour ago, TheWaters said:

She opened the whole festival (well Reading anyway) last year. First on the FR tent. Was good. Decent crowd

6 hours ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Yeah that's what i'm saying, they rose to fame during it and managed to come out the other-side as one of the biggest bands in the country and still remain as headline status today, The Subways rose to fame during it and have gone down like a lead balloon ever since

Ignoring how ‘relevant’ the youngsters think The Subways are, they are playing decent sized venues on their current tour(possibly the same size as they played in the mid-2000s) so I wouldn’t say that they ‘Didn’t come out the other side of the 2000s’ or ‘ have gone down like a lead balloon ever since’

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

Ignoring how ‘relevant’ the youngsters think The Subways are, they are playing decent sized venues on their current tour(possibly the same size as they played in the mid-2000s) so I wouldn’t say that they ‘Didn’t come out the other side of the 2000s’ or ‘ have gone down like a lead balloon ever since’

The whole point of R&L Festival is to stay relevant to what the youngsters are listening to, they're the main demographic for the festival. The Subways might still be relevant in certain circles but i can't imagine the majority of their fans still bother with the likes of R&L, Subways played 7th down in 2008 when they were a lot more relevant than they are now, they shouldn't be playing the same slot 12 years later when the majority of people haven't heard their name and if they have they've not heard it in a long time.

Edited by OnlyRevolutions
  • Like 1