Lineup 2020

randlfan

8 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Yeah wherever tbh, just a decent afternoon band to catch!

Yeah new album is great really loving it, tbh he has quite a large cult following so i think he wouldn’t look out of place on the lineup and could draw a fairly decent crowd

I definitely think he’s got enough fans in the normal R&L goers where he’d get a decent sized crowd, would just be quite hard to place him and he’d probably look a bit out of place. Tbf almost every single person I know going to Reading this year likes King Krule, a lot of which are travelling to London or Manc just to see him, so he’d definitely go down great and get a decent crowd.

• Like 1

I might be in a minority here but, over the last couple of years, I think R&L is doing something no other UK festival is doing in booking ‘SoundCloud’ rappers in abundance. If you’re into that, no other festival is offering that. I’m a sucker for it so seeing people like Bladee, Garzi and Ashnikko on the lineup is really appealing. They just need to hey Wicca Phase in. 

Edited by Andre91

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I might be in a minority here but, over the last couple of years, I think R&L is doing something no other UK festival is doing in booking ‘SoundCloud’ rappers in abundance. If you’re into that, no other festival is offering that. I’m a sucker for it so seeing people like Bladee, Garzi and Ashnikko on the lineup is really appealing. They just need to hey Wicca Phase in. 

Yeah I’d agree with this. People like $uicideboy$, Nothing, nowhere, Teddy, Paris, Bexey and Ghostemane in the past couple years too. They’ve definitely got that when no other fest has.

None particular interest me this year but get City Morgue on the lineup and I’ll be over the moon. 

4 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah I’d agree with this. People like $uicideboy$, Nothing, nowhere, Teddy, Paris, Bexey and Ghostemane in the past couple years too. They’ve definitely got that when no other fest has.

None particular interest me this year but get City Morgue on the lineup and I’ll be over the moon. 

City Morgue turning up would make it for me. I saw Ghostemane in that tent last year but I think City Morgue would go off even more. 

On a slight tangent, if he was still alive, I genuinely think that Lil Peep would have had the kind of slot that Billie Eilish had last year by now and pulled a gigantic crowd. He was a future headliner in the making. 

Edited by Andre91

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

City Morgue turning up would make it for me. I saw Ghostemane in that tent last year but I think City Morgue would go off even more. 

On a slight tangent, if he was still alive, I genuinely think that Lil Peep would have had the kind of slot that Billie Eilish had last year by now and pulled a gigantic crowd. He was a future headliner in the making. 

Yeah I caught the end of Ghostemane after Peace and before heading to Mura Masa and he sounded quality tbf. Whole tent was bouncing. City Morgue would be insane.
Again yeah, I’d agree with the Lil Peep point too. He was already starting to get big before he passed, he would’ve surely been on the festivals radar and definitely gone on to bigger things. Similarly, I’d make the same case for Juice WRLD. He was already big but he was most definitely only going to get bigger. Really saw him doing a Post Malone-like rise up the lineups

1 hour ago, BigBoyBridge said:

Who We Expecting / Hoping For In The Next Announcement?

Hoping for Dominic Fike, J.I.D, Oliver Tree, Yonaka, Everyone You Know (missed them last year), BENEE or NOISY to appear somewhere on the lineup.

Also I'd love Salvatore Ganacci for Dance stage. He's a fun performer and releasing such bangers right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jericode said:

Well I was expecting Vaccines third down Saturday but the last announcement has changed all of that up.

Would love Stand Atlantic for The Pit / Lock-Up again, they were the best I've seen them supporting The Maine last night and I think the new album is gonna be great. 

Maybe 2021

16 hours ago, Tom Connolly said:

(aside from rage) there is genuinely not one act on that lineup that i’m excited to see. there’s lots that will be alright and a laugh, like two door, but the lineup has no wow factor at all for me

I genuinely don't think they could have done a lot worse.

R&L has always been the school leavers festival and that was glaring obvious on Friday when loads of Year 11s and 10s at my school were talking about the lineup and planning on buying tickets (or asking parents for a ticket for their birthdays). 

I was asking them about who on the lineup they were most wanting to see and the acts that drove the conversation were Migos (who they were really excited about), D-Block Europe, Aitch, M Huncho, AJ Tracey, Headie One and MK. Lewis Capaldi got a few mentions too. 

Barely any of them (and there was a good group of 30-35 kids here) mentioned Stormzy, who they said was boring (along with Skepta, because we looked at the Wireless lineup too). Some other comments included: 

- Liam Gallagher is crap but would be alright for ‘the Oasis tunes’ 

- the Sunday at Reading ‘is full of heavy metal bands isn’t it?’ 

We spend a lot of time on here talking about how R&L is a zeitgeist festival and how they book what is popular and it was interesting to hear first hand exactly what on this lineup is drumming up interest in young people.

They definitely talk about Reading with reverence and it’s something they really want to be a part of, which was the same when I was their age so nothing has changed there. It’s just that what is popular with them has changed. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

R&L has always been the school leavers festival and that was glaring obvious on Friday when loads of Year 11s and 10s at my school were talking about the lineup and planning on buying tickets (or asking parents for a ticket for their birthdays). 

I was asking them about who on the lineup they were most wanting to see and the acts that drove the conversation were Migos (who they were really excited about), D-Block Europe, Aitch, M Huncho, AJ Tracey, Headie One and MK. Lewis Capaldi got a few mentions too. 

Barely any of them (and there was a good group of 30-35 kids here) mentioned Stormzy, who they said was boring (along with Skepta, because we looked at the Wireless lineup too). Some other comments included: 

We spend a lot of time on here talking about how R&L is a zeitgeist festival and how they book what is popular and it was interesting to hear first hand exactly what on this lineup is drumming up interest in young people.

They definitely talk about Reading with reverence and it’s something they really want to be a part of, which was the same when I was their age so nothing has changed there. It’s just that what is popular with them has changed. 

Seems pretty spot on mate. I'm in Y13 and have been asking mates in Y11 and Y12 to try and get them to book through my ambassador scheme, and the names you've mentioned are all very similar - a lot of people seem to be incredibly excited for TDCC as well.

Loads of people seem really hyped for Aitch and AJ Tracey, can see those crowds being massive and AJ overflowing the tent like Bastille.

And about Stormzy, I think whether people our age like him or not, the fact that his name is on the lineup really like comes across as a huge booking for R+L and just excites people more for the spectacle of their 1st festival and how big it's going to be, rather than Stormzy's set itself.

24 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

If anyone was wondering how many of the current bookings are fresh, I’ve scribbled out any acts who’ve played in the last 3 festivals. Doesn’t mean anything, just find it interesting.

8363750A-5E61-4F7F-9D1E-B16DADD9D8AE.jpeg

Rage is the only fresh booking of the whole festival.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

There is no denying that but in the last 24 months the heavier booked day overall has sold better easily than the others and the festival hasn't suddenly changed totally in the last year that no one listens to any of that.

I'm not shocked in the Stormzy thing, people have had ages now to buy arena tickets that didn't fly out and now doing a set of shows to 160k people extra, it's a pretty poor booking and should have been one or the other. I think it personally shows they were a lost this year as I've never knows Reading to make a booking like that apart from maybe Green Day at the Emirates early on in the year which they sold out too but their size is a totally different ball park.

This year I think they've moved further over and tried to book a combination of a little Reading with Wireless and V Festival and it's a little too much different directions....you can't appeal to completely everything. As has been said before, I don't know many RATM fans that would look and go this is awesome, you might find some day tickets put there that will go and arrive purely for them but I also think many will be tempted to wait until Download grab them next year and book a day that lines up for them.

• Like 1

I definitely agree that Stormzy has lost a lot of his hype for younger rap fans in the UK recently Obviously but I can't speak for people who were 16 when Shut up came out. Currently the scene defining artist for me is Dave even though Stormzy is commercially slightly more successful. 

In terms of US rap, you only need to look at wireless to see who the artists with the biggest pulls are. For me, the best bookings RandL seem to miss are ASAP Rocky, Playboi Carti and Trippie Redd and obviously travis instead of Migos. At the same time though they booked lil Uzi last year which I thought was a great booking and he pulled out along with I think Carti a few years ago.

I was also wondering there's a space in the lineup for Carti can trippie similar to lil baby and gunna last year who I thought were good bookings.

1 hour ago, Hardeevan said:

I definitely agree that Stormzy has lost a lot of his hype for younger rap fans in the UK recently Obviously but I can't speak for people who were 16 when Shut up came out. Currently the scene defining artist for me is Dave even though Stormzy is commercially slightly more successful. 

In terms of US rap, you only need to look at wireless to see who the artists with the biggest pulls are. For me, the best bookings RandL seem to miss are ASAP Rocky, Playboi Carti and Trippie Redd and obviously travis instead of Migos. At the same time though they booked lil Uzi last year which I thought was a great booking and he pulled out along with I think Carti a few years ago.

I was also wondering there's a space in the lineup for Carti can trippie similar to lil baby and gunna last year who I thought were good bookings.

It seems like Playboi Carti, Famous Dex, Lil Uzi Vert, Ski Mask The Slump God all pulling out as well as Juice WRLD missing Reading all in the last 2 years has put them off booking rappers like that this year. Can’t blame em like, real shame they’re unreliable as I’d love to see all of those (Uzi for the second time) bar Juice WRLD (he was poor at Wireless, not that it matters now).

Unsure on the Migos booking based on this though, they’re notorious for being late and the last time they played R&L one of them didn’t even turn up ! 

Edited by TheWaters

29 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

It seems like Playboi Carti, Famous Dex, Lil Uzi Vert, Ski Mask The Slump God all pulling out as well as Juice WRLD missing Reading all in the last 2 years has put them off booking rappers like that this year. Can’t blame em like, real shame they’re unreliable as I’d love to see all of those (Uzi for the second time) bar Juice WRLD (he was poor at Wireless, not that it matters now).

Unsure on the Migos booking based on this though, they’re notorious for being late and the last time they played R&L one of them didn’t even turn up ! 

I recon Playboi Carti + Trippie Redd will be added because they are doing blockfest and are not wireless exclusive and i dont know where else in england they would show up over festival season other than reading and leeds. (ON R1)

Edited by BigBoyBridge