Lineup 2020

randlfan

10 minutes ago, VCK said:

It's time someone creates a festival that is similar to how R&L used to be.

In terms of rock festivals, TRNSMT leans a little too much towards just Indie, Download leans a little too much towards metal. R&L used to book bands from across the board.

It doesn't even necessarily have to just be rock; get some dance and hip hop in too. As in, the actual good stuff from those genres and not flavour of the month type stuff.

Sure there's probably a market for that kinda fest now, but it would quickly become stale with lineups full of repeat bookings, like Download. At least R&L is constantly evolving and remaining relevant to what's popular now, especially with alternative genres.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

In terms of rock festivals, TRNSMT leans a little too much towards just Indie, Download leans a little too much towards metal. R&L used to book bands from across the board.

It doesn't even necessarily have to just be rock; get some dance and hip hop in too. As in, the actual good stuff from those genres and not flavour of the month type stuff.

They already do don't they? The likes of Boardmasters, Ynot and kendall cater for a good mix. Medium sized festivals seem to do that very well, also sell a lot of tickets.

That being said Reading still sells very well, not been to Leeds for a long time so unsure how that sells.

Reading/Leeds still has a big mix of genre's doesn't it? 

Edited by thetime

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Incidentally, with Foals, I think its quite something that they are pressing on with shows in Singapore and Japan this week while other acts (Green Day and Stormzy among them, I think) pulled their tours of the region.

Good for them and all and it’s great they’re committed to their fans over there. Let’s hope they stay safe. Probably not the wisest to continue with the tour tbh.

why is everybody throwing a hissy fit now? The majority of the lineup is still rock? With i'd say 30% hip-hop and maybe 5% pop with the addition of Lewis Capaldi. Look, now i'm not saying i'm personally a fan of his music, but it's what people like, and FR booked him for this reason. If you don't like him, don't see him, it's easy.

1 minute ago, swain said:

why is everybody throwing a hissy fit now? The majority of the lineup is still rock? With i'd say 30% hip-hop and maybe 5% pop with the addition of Lewis Capaldi. Look, now i'm not saying i'm personally a fan of his music, but it's what people like, and FR booked him for this reason. If you don't like him, don't see him, it's easy.

Because the lineup is shit? 

6 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

It got even more shitter than normal lol 

2018 - The worst lineup ever!

2020 - Hold my beer!

Is it really that bad though? Heavyweight headliners, decent acts 2nd and 3rd on the bill. R1 stage is quite strong as well and the pit is equally as strong.

Edited by thetime

24 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

It got even more shitter than normal lol 

2018 - The worst lineup ever!

2020 - Hold my beer!

Personally I feel 2018 was significantly weaker than 2020, no matter what music you're into.

RATM are way stronger than KOL, Stormzy and Kendrick yh similar sized, LG is bigger than Fall Out Boy in the UK.

Lower down, Capaldi is miles bigger than Dua Lipa, even Travis Scott was in 2018.

There's some proper big acts this year it's just a lot messier in terms of genres, but I would say definitely it's a stronger lineup. 

As weak as 2018 was, I'd argue it looked more like an R+L lineup as at least they catered the days sort of similarly. Guess the TDCC and Capaldi changes have made that better this year for Fri n Sat at least.

6 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Personally I feel 2018 was significantly weaker than 2020, no matter what music you're into.

RATM are way stronger than KOL, Stormzy and Kendrick yh similar sized, LG is bigger than Fall Out Boy in the UK.

Lower down, Capaldi is miles bigger than Dua Lipa, even Travis Scott was in 2018.

There's some proper big acts this year it's just a lot messier in terms of genres, but I would say definitely it's a stronger lineup. 

As weak as 2018 was, I'd argue it looked more like an R+L lineup as at least they catered the days sort of similarly. Guess the TDCC and Capaldi changes have made that better this year for Fri n Sat at least.

Actually i think you're right, it's more messy on placings, making it feel really bad!

51 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Good for them and all and it’s great they’re committed to their fans over there. Let’s hope they stay safe. Probably not the wisest to continue with the tour tbh.

I did find it a bit unusual. I'm aware they're not visiting South Korea, which reported a massive rise overnight, and bailed on a show in Bangkok after the festival promoters pulled the show, but its still a bold move to go ahead with it when other acts are thinking twice about touring the region.

Not just there either tbf - I'm aware of acts pulling Italy shows, and there was a piece on NME of Sam Fender pulling his Switzerland gig tonight because of their ban on events over 1,000 people.

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Yeah clear gap in the market for a large diverse alternative festival drawing in particular across the broad spectrum of rock  indie metal punk that gives a real chance to new music also .  Difficult to see one coming so many festival s in UK already . Best hope is probably niche ones like trees continuingly growing . The Booker of that did say he's been asked to book a bigger festival so who knows.

3 hours ago, TornShaun said:

I was thinking the same! That truly would be 'End of Days'! 

I think your mad and blind to rule out one of these big pop acts especially the more acclaimed ones getting a headline slot in the near future . Already had dua lipa,  Lewis capaldi , Mabel etc  . Coachella and other similar international festivals that book rock acts already mix these acts with huge pop acts . It's the clear direction of the festival and as rock acts increasingly only tour Europe in early summer it's entirely sensible .  

6 minutes ago, biggest032 said:

I think your mad and blind to rule out one of these big pop acts especially the more acclaimed ones getting a headline slot in the near future . Already had dua lipa,  Lewis capaldi , Mabel etc  . Coachella and other similar international festivals that book rock acts already mix these acts with huge pop acts . It's the clear direction of the festival and as rock acts increasingly only tour Europe in early summer it's entirely sensible .  

I'm blind to think that Taylor Swift or Beyonce would be a future headliner of Reading? Give your head a wobble!

39 minutes ago, Properbigfan said:

m huncho to be moved to afternoon slot on radio one.

Not sure he’ll be too big for the tent. They’ve only done that with Lil Pump and Aitch in recent years who both completely exploded into the mainstream. Feel like M Hucho is the right size for the 1Xtra

Edited by TheWaters

42 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Think magic gang would be quite a nice addition early main or radio 1 one day, like their latest single quite a lot

Shame King Krule isn’t really a r&l booking would love for Archie to be booked!

Yeah magic gang would be great. Think they played early R1 back in 2017 so maybe high on FR again would suit more. Plenty of spaces to be filled there haha.

Ill admit I’ve never been a fan of king Krule but the new album is decent. Supermaché and Stoned Again are great

16 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah magic gang would be great. Think they played early R1 back in 2017 so maybe high on FR again would suit more. Plenty of spaces to be filled there haha.

Ill admit I’ve never been a fan of king Krule but the new album is decent. Supermaché and Stoned Again are great

Yeah wherever tbh, just a decent afternoon band to catch!

Yeah new album is great really loving it, tbh he has quite a large cult following so i think he wouldn’t look out of place on the lineup and could draw a fairly decent crowd

Edited by dum surfer