Lineup 2020

randlfan

5 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

I understand what people are saying about the Courteeners into rage but it was said that Skepta into Rage would be good, and they’re not the same genre

There’s something about Grime where i think it can go with any genre, Grime has very punky counter culture vibes. Even still now despite becoming a mainstream genre.

that said, whilst I think Skepta would be a better option than courteeners, I still don’t think it would have solved the issue, being there is a lack of any other artist on main that appeals directly to rage fans 

Edited by dum surfer
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

There’s something about Grime where i think it can go with any genre, Grime has very punky counter culture vibes.

that said, whilst I think Skepta would be a better option than courteeners, I still don’t think it would have solved the issue, being there is a lack of any other artist on main that appeals directly to rage fans 

Most Rage fans I know are RTJ fans and are very excited about them tbf. Other than them, yeah nothing. Weird compared to the Foos day last year as has been said

Edited by TheWaters

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I’d take Courteeners over Bullet For My Valentine. At least Courteeners are guaranteed to pull a big crowd and are relevant to the festival. BFMV should never play another note again. 

There's certainly no way in hell they should be subbing the Reading main stage

19 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

It makes you wonder whether the rest of the main stage was booked before they knew that Rage were available?

I absolutely believe this to be the case your headliners were initially courteeners with two door cinema club subbing i reckon rage came along quite late and courteeners were the only headliners willing to drop down thus making two door “very special guests” with run the jewels being in the deal to play with rage. 

Also around the December tour of courteeners i remember liam mentioning a lot that there were no egos in the band contrary to popular belief, it’s surely the only explanation for the odd sub especially with shite American rapper supporter stormzy and Gerry supporting Liam 🤷🏼‍♂️

32 minutes ago, heartsink said:

I absolutely believe this to be the case your headliners were initially courteeners with two door cinema club subbing i reckon rage came along quite late and courteeners were the only headliners willing to drop down thus making two door “very special guests” with run the jewels being in the deal to play with rage. 

Also around the December tour of courteeners i remember liam mentioning a lot that there were no egos in the band contrary to popular belief, it’s surely the only explanation for the odd sub especially with shite American rapper supporter stormzy and Gerry supporting Liam 🤷🏼‍♂️

Could the headliners if rage wasn't booked be stromzy, Liam, courteeners

18 hours ago, R Shah said:

Yeah the rest of the RATM undercard is fine ngl, the big problem is Courteeners. They could book whoever the hell they want for the rest of the day but the sub needs to be remotely similar and have some sort of crossover. 

Even bumping RTJ or Idles to sub, weak as it may be, would make more sense probably just for the flow of acts. Or Bizkit as suggested.

The Friday is a great example, undercard is all Indie and Pop-Punk but we have that nice flow of Migos into Stormzy which makes it look more like a Reading Day. Similar with Gerry into Liam whilst lots of rap underneath.

Or at least be from a similar era. See Royal Blood into The 1975 last year. I felt that was a bit of an odd pairing as neither band sounds alike but they both emerged from around the same time and are two of the biggest names in British music over the past decade. And further to your point, both bands probably have fanbases that cross over into one another.

But a late 00s/10s indie band from Manchester, UK into a 90s/early 00s rap metal band from Los Angeles, USA? They just don't suit one another. Last time I can think of a pairing that looked this out of place was The Cure and Paramore in 2012.

Edited by VCK

8 minutes ago, VCK said:

Last time I can think of a pairing that looked this out of place was The Cure and Paramore in 2012.

Fall Out Boy and Travis Scott? Kendrick Lamar and Panic at the Disco? The Libertines and Kendrick Lamar? Blink-182 and Macklemore? There's been plenty.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Fall Out Boy and Travis Scott? Kendrick Lamar and Panic at the Disco? The Libertines and Kendrick Lamar? Blink-182 and Macklemore? There's been plenty.

The Libertines and Kendrick are a good shout actually, but with the others there's probably more crossover. R&L seem to like pairing hip hop artists and pop punk bands together (case in point being 50 Cent and Green Day in 2004 :P )