Lineup 2020

randlfan

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Is the hype around them at the moment big? 

The two singles seem to be doing fairly well on streaming services and I've seen a lot of media around them.

Had they dropped something when they began their 'global takeover' last year I think their stock would have been bigger although that is their won fault.

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Is the hype around them at the moment big? 

Guess it depends on the people you surround yourself with or the forums/websites you follow.

Hype on my side is high, similar to their comeback of 2011. Only difference is that this time they seem to enjoy playing together which is a big development vs. last 10 years.

23 minutes ago, Sgraham said:

Crazy...the Stokes are massive. The hype around them at the moment is also big. R&L have missed a trick. Would people prefer Liam?

But they are shit live, at least they were in 2011 and as said the crowd reaction for them wasnt what you'd expect from a reunion. Think RATM on social....it would just be about a booking that's ancient now and not released anything of note for 20 years.

• Downvote 1

Meh, I had fun when I saw them in 2011 but I don’t really have a desire to see them again. Julian felt like he was too cool to be there, which was a stark contrast from Jarvis Cocker before who absolutely loved being up on that stage.

I think The Strokes have a strong presence in internet land - but if you pull away from that they really aren’t a big deal. They do well headlining mid-sized festivals that don’t need to sell a boatload of tickets. They don’t have the pulling power to headline a major U.K. festival anymore. 

Ken on the Mad Cool thread said they are a notoriously difficult band to book. They pulled out of Mad Cool this year because the organisers were telling bands that they would be supporting the Strokes before the Strokes signed the dotted line. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

Definitely Maybe was released in 1994 so Liam Gallagher is going to have 14 people in his crowd then. 

Oasis have managed to stay culturally relevant for all of that time, they have a massive fanbase (particularly up north) and even Liam's newer stuff like Wall of Glass made an impact. Apart from hearing Last Nite at Snobs once in a while I can't imagine today's teenagers listening to much Strokes tbh

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Definitely Maybe was released in 1994 so Liam Gallagher is going to have 14 people in his crowd then. 

I mean Oasis are stratospherically bigger than The Strokes ever were. I doubt many parents were playing their kids Strokes tunes as a kid.

I think the point made was that the Strokes have very little cultural relevance to the GCSE kids of today. Whereas GCSE kids nowadays have had it drummed into them that Oasis were a big deal in British music.

Also Liam Gallagher is a celebrity in his own right.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgraham said:

I understand your point but it's not just about the kids is it? Who is the bigger pull in general, the strokes or Liam? Dunno about you but it's an easy one for me although I see why some people like him.

Liams a bigger pull for an event like this which is mainly full of school leavers

3 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Oasis have managed to stay culturally relevant for all of that time, they have a massive fanbase (particularly up north) and even Liam's newer stuff like Wall of Glass made an impact. Apart from hearing Last Nite at Snobs once in a while I can't imagine today's teenagers listening to much Strokes tbh

Someday is pretty big as well isn’t it, I’ve heard it in an advert at least I swear

Not a big venue I know, but the Roundhouse show tonight sold out in seconds. I’d say there is a hype around them at the moment, but I guess not with your typical RnL goer. They could certainly headline festivals in the UK, but maybe not RnL anymore. 
They’re not a massive band anymore, but they’re a massive deal to some people, myself included! 

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The Strokes released Is This It in 2001, this years GCSE leavers were born in 2004, they don't care about them at all.

I actually bought  ‘This is it’ in Reading Festival, haha.

They used to have CD stalls in the arena,presumably they’re outside the arena now (if anywhere)but haven’t looked.

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

How many Wiley diss tracks is Stormzy gonna bang out then 

On topic: a few

off topic: MCR haven’t been mentioned in this thread for a while, but I’ve just bought tickets for the Eden Project gig (close to my house) and put my MK tickets on sale on twickets, so I’m a very happy fan :)

Back on topic for this thread with a compare and contrast:

Weekend (5-day) Ticket at Boardmasters: £189.  Skepta, KoL, 1975

Weekend Ticket at Reading: £232. Stormzy, LG, RATM.

So far, fair enough.

Weekend VIP upgrade at Boardmasters: £86.  (Gets you VIP area and bar; fast track entry; VIP camping; car parking; admission to surfing comps, etc).  Total for a “VIP weekend” is £275 per person.

Weekend VIP Upgrade at Reading: £185 x 3 = £555 for the VIP bar bit for 3 days; £120 each for VIP camping (camping plus with bring your own tent); £21 for a weekend car park pass; £25 for an early entry pass to bring it up to 5 days.  Total for a comparable “VIP weekend” is £953 person.

Now I know Reading is a much bigger festival than BM (I’ve been going to Reading since 1989, lol) but this VIP pricing (which I hate in general) is crazy.

2 hours ago, steve_ said:

On topic: a few

off topic: MCR haven’t been mentioned in this thread for a while, but I’ve just bought tickets for the Eden Project gig (close to my house) and put my MK tickets on sale on twickets, so I’m a very happy fan :)

Back on topic for this thread with a compare and contrast:

Weekend (5-day) Ticket at Boardmasters: £189.  Skepta, KoL, 1975

Weekend Ticket at Reading: £232. Stormzy, LG, RATM.

So far, fair enough.

Weekend VIP upgrade at Boardmasters: £86.  (Gets you VIP area and bar; fast track entry; VIP camping; car parking; admission to surfing comps, etc).  Total for a “VIP weekend” is £275 per person.

Weekend VIP Upgrade at Reading: £185 x 3 = £555 for the VIP bar bit for 3 days; £120 each for VIP camping (camping plus with bring your own tent); £21 for a weekend car park pass; £25 for an early entry pass to bring it up to 5 days.  Total for a comparable “VIP weekend” is £953 person.

Now I know Reading is a much bigger festival than BM (I’ve been going to Reading since 1989, lol) but this VIP pricing (which I hate in general) is crazy.

At boardmasters You can’t go backstage with the vip campsite. It’s legit just a better campsite with flushing toilets and proper showers and you queue jump on entry to festival/arena. The vip area in the area a is just a bar with better toilets 

Edited by Properbigfan
Didn’t specify it was boardmasters

3 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

I’m surprised Sunday day tickets haven’t sold out yet. Out of a 100,000 capacity, there‘s surely only 25,000 day tickets for each day? 

I don’t think anyone knows how many day tickets there are as I have asked that question before with no replies.  Surely Rage are more popular than just 25k..

2 minutes ago, Isambard said:

I don’t think anyone knows how many day tickets there are as I have asked that question before with no replies.  Surely Rage are more popular than just 25k..

Even if they issued 40,000 day tickets for each day (which I can’t see it being that much) I still thought the Rage day at Reading would’ve sold out within a day or so. I guess people are maybe holding out for another UK show. 

8 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Even if they issued 40,000 day tickets for each day (which I can’t see it being that much) I still thought the Rage day at Reading would’ve sold out within a day or so. I guess people are maybe holding out for another UK show. 

The lineup will have put a lot of people off. Nobody who is seeing Rage is interested in Courteeners. And whilst a lot of us on here think that Slowthai and Run The Jewels are excellent bookings, we will be in the minority when it comes to Rage fans across the UK. Tom Grennan and Lady Leshurr? Absolutely no change that they appeal to RATM fans in any way (or fans of rock music in general). 

They would have been far better off playing a couple of their own shows. They would have sold out in under an hour, I am certain. 

15 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Seriously who really wants to see rage at a festival with this lineup and the type of people who attend on mass . It's a shocking booking , there is no doubt they would sell far more tickets probably at a higher price at there own shows . At download and Glasto they would be welcomed as heroes . Sadly reading has changed so much , here once they were heroes but now there fanbase just don't want to be there even if rage are playing . Awful booking for this fest these days .