Lineup 2020

randlfan

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I can’t see Lewis moving onto stadiums. I think Ed Sheeran has a bit of a broader fanbase which is why he can do things like Wembley.

I think headlining big festivals will probably be the limit that Capaldi can do. Ed Sheeran never headliner R&L because he can do much much bigger.

I also think Lewis fits with R&L’s attendees nowadays better than Ed Sheeran did when he first blew up.

Also he’s playing pretty much every festival this year apart from R&L.

No one is too big for R+L. They haven't booked Sheeran since before his first album because it's just not his kind of festival. Same as Capaldi, as everyone else is saying.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He’s definitely not major festival headliner sized yet, if only because he’s a fairly new act with only one album. If R/L booked that kind of act, he’d be subbing.

People said the same about Stormzy when he was booked for Glasto, but right now in 2020 Lewis is a much bigger name than most acts headlining UK festivals this year.

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

People said the same about Stormzy when he was booked for Glasto, but right now in 2020 Lewis is a much bigger name than most acts headlining UK festivals this year.

Much bigger is a stretch, off the back of one album too. 

If he replicates it on album two, then aye.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No one is too big for R+L. They haven't booked Sheeran since before his first album because it's just not his kind of festival. 

Erm that’s a slight misunderstanding of what I said. I said he can do much bigger than R&L. Such as three sold out nights at Wembley Stadium. R&L probably never booked Sheeran because he had much larger gigs in mind.

13 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

Nope.

Alright, a bit pedantic. Isle of Wight, Parklife, Glastonbury, TNSMT, large outdoor gigs in Ireland, Castlefield Bowl in Manchester. Where the big crowds are this summer he is there (apart from R&L).

Edited by Matt42

Just now, DomDom1984 said:

Much bigger is a stretch, off the back of one album too. 

If he replicates it on album two, then aye.

Album 2 is going to flop, he’s never ever gonna get anywhere near as good as DUTAHE

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Album 2 is going to flop, he’s never ever gonna get anywhere near as good as DUTAHE

I’m ngl I thought the same about Stormzy but his second album seems to be just as big as his first 

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Erm that’s a slight misunderstanding of what I said. I said he can do much bigger than R&L. Such as three sold out nights at Wembley Stadium. R&L probably never booked Sheeran because he had much larger gigs in mind.

Yes but - as with other stadium headliners who play the festival - they would convince him with money.

He didn't play in the years between releasing his debut and headlining Wembley Stadium either.

2 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

could he not open the Main Stage at Reading, that seems to go to acts that don’t really fit elsewhere

He could not.

7 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

@Matt42 do you think George Ezra will headline R&L one day?

I wouldn’t rule it out, no. His first priority will be headlining Glastonbury though. Which he will probably do first.

I could definitely see R&L booking George Ezra off the back of a Glastonbury headline slot.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yes but - as with other stadium headliners who play the festival - they would convince him with money.

He didn't play in the years between releasing his debut and headlining Wembley Stadium either.

Well yeah in 2014 R&L was still in the cycle of booking rock/indie band headliners and Eminem. I don’t think we can compare R&L nowadays to how it was six years ago.

edit: also if you look back there was literally only two years R&L could of booked Ed Sheeran anything below a sub/ headliner and for one of them he wasn’t touring.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

Well yeah in 2014 R&L was still in the cycle of booking rock/indie band headliners and Eminem. I don’t think we can compare R&L nowadays to how it was six years ago.

But they still book rock/indie headliners now, just with more of a range of hip hop acts. They're not booking acts like Sheeran/Ezra and Capaldi to headline.

I just don’t know why Ed Sheeran, George Ezra, Lewis Capaldi are treated like they are the same artist and go by the same rules.

My view is that Ed Sheeran has pretty much always had stronger and more preferable options for him than R&L. I don’t think that Ezra or Capaldi will be playing Wembley stadium but they will definitely get a shot at headlining some major UK festivals.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I don’t think that Ezra or Capaldi will be playing Wembley stadium but they will definitely get a shot at headlining some major UK festivals.

Haven’t they already?

And I agree, they’ll continue to headline major UK festivals. I’m predicting Ezra to headline Glastonbury next year or the year after. Not sure if Capaldi will make it at this stage but it’s possible. Just don’t think they’re ever gonna headline R&L.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Haven’t they already?

And I agree, they’ll continue to headline major UK festivals. I’m predicting Ezra to headline Glastonbury next year or the year after. Not sure if Capaldi will make it at this stage but it’s possible. Just don’t think they’re ever gonna headline R&L.

A 2021 lineup (horrendous as it may look)

Lewis Capaldi (co) / Biffy Clyro (co)

Kasabian 

MCR

would sell very well and wouldn’t look that out of place. Chuck Dave and BMTH subbing one of the days and I think that looks pretty R&L to me.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I won’t be surprised if he coheadlines with his next album. He’s probably one of the hottest tickets around right now. Just wait until he pulls the biggest crowd of the weekend at Glastonbury this year!

The question is where can he go with his style of music? It will be tough to not simply fade away like the like of James Blunt. 

unless he can somehow shift it up, people will lose interest very quickly

Just now, Matt42 said:

A 2021 lineup (horrendous as it may look)

Lewis Capaldi (co) / Biffy Clyro (co)

Kasabian 

MCR

would sell very well and wouldn’t look that out of place. Chuck Dave and BMTH subbing one of the days and I think that looks pretty R&L to me.

It would look out of place.

I think they're always gonna try and book a rap/hip hop headliner for the foreseeable future. If Dave is around next year with a new album (don't think that'll be till 2022 but could be sooner) then I think he'll at least coheadline. I also really think Travis Scott will headline next year if he's available.

7 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think they're always gonna try and book a rap/hip hop headliner for the foreseeable future. If Dave is around next year with a new album (don't think that'll be till 2022 but could be sooner) then I think he'll at least coheadline. I also really think Travis Scott will headline next year if he's available.

Then I’d replace Kasabian or MCR with Travis Scott. 

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Tame Impala as well, gotta come back and healdine worthy now

Lewis Capaldi will never sell out 1 Wembley Stadium show, let alone the amount Ed Sheeran did. Not just because I personally don't think his music is any good at all, but because he just isn't as big. Simple as

Like others have said, R&L just isn't the place for him, there are many many other acts/bands coming through that will probably be warranting a headline slot in the next 10 years

Lewis Capaldi played Truck Festival as 3rd below Wolf Alice and Nothing but Thieves, and I'm surprised I actually managed to go without seeing it. Think I was watching Anteros on one of the lower stages, but I don't fully remember.

Certainly, I'm aware he's become a huge deal and huger still since that slot in July of last year, but I would argue he'd need to release music in another direction to be in the mix for this place. Which is not to say there's some inspiration - on Spotify, I regularly get an advert for a playlist he did for Renault that features some R&L headline types. But I think its in too far away a direction.

Edited by charlierc