Lineup 2020

randlfan

4 hours ago, thetime said:

If they were good enough, they would be on the bill.

Well to be fair Quavo with his one star rated album is obviously better then Billie Eilish, Dua Lip, Hayley Williams, Haim, Lizzo, Lana Del Rey, Paramore, Gwen Stefani, Karen O, Dodie and Sigrid.

Basically stop talking absolute shite. My music knowledge is rubbish and ive listed many that are better then the garbage (another) on that line up.

25 minutes ago, sameimpala said:

They haven't had a female fronted headliner since Paramore  in 2014 and the last one before that was 1998 with Garbage. 
Very unlikely that there have only been 2 acts considered worthy of headlining in 22 years.

Who could of headlined in any one of those years?

54 minutes ago, VCK said:

Simple fact is that most people who choose to go into alternative/rock type music are white men. Every year there's claims that the Reading and Leeds promoters are misogynistic but looking at it objectively, I really don't think that's the case. Especially if they're giving good slots to the likes of Billie Eilish and Dua Lipa and have at least been trying to promote female pop singers.

Either way though, unless they get female artists that are actually good I don't think it'd really make much difference to the quality of the line up so it doesn't matter.

Good slots to the likes of Billie Eilish? I mean thats fine but she's bigger then the three headliners that are playing this year...and she's 18.

1 minute ago, wghennessy said:

Good slots to the likes of Billie Eilish? I mean thats fine but she's bigger then the three headliners that are playing this year...and she's 18.

She wasn't available!

This argument reminds me of that scene in 'Donnie Darko' when Donnie is told to put the question into either 'Love or 'Fear' and he responds with....

"There are other things that need to be taken into account here. Like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!"

Just now, TornShaun said:

She wasn't available!

This argument reminds me of that scene in 'Donnie Darko' when Donnie is told to put the question into either 'Love or 'Fear' and he responds with....

"There are other things that need to be taken into account here. Like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!"

Yea thats not my point. The poster claims they gave good slots to the likes of Billie Eillish because they are female completely ignoring that she is an artist in her own right, is very bloody talented and deserves to be where she is. 

Just now, TornShaun said:

She wasn't available!

My point put far better. Lizzo and Hayley William's could yet be booked but Billie Eilish clearly was not available for the August festivals and is already touring extensively. Haim are over earlier in the Summer.

The poster claims they gave good slots to the likes of Billie Eillish because they are female completely ignoring that she is an artist in her own right, is very bloody talented and deserves to be where she is. 

Which is why artists should be on a line up, not what gender they are.

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Which is why artists should be on a line up, not what gender they are.

Yea no worries. Migos lyrics for yall...(sub headliners)

Lemons on the chain with the V-cuts
Lemonade in shade with my feet up
Lemon pepper wings and a freeze cup
Lemons on my face watch 'em freeze up

#artist.

#artist.

You are missing the point though, which female of similar popularity could of played in that position?

2 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

#artist.

giphy (16).gif

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

You are missing the point though, which female of similar popularity could of played in that position?

ok well firstly Migos shouldnt be in that position but ok:

Billie Eilish

Paramore/Hayley Williams

Dua Lipa

Gwen Stefani

Lizzo

Haim

I mean this isnt the point...its the lack of representation lol

20 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

#artist.

If they booked Cardi instead, would it be better?

Pussy so good, I say my own name during sex
I might smack a bitch 'cause I felt like it
Gucci shoes and a belt like it
Said that Cardi is his favorite fragrance
I'm a rich bitch and I smell like it
I'm in a boss bitch mood, ayy, these heels are Givenchy, ho
These are some boss bitch shoes
If you ain't no boss bitch, move, ayy

#therearefemaletrashartistsaswell

• Like 1

With Katherine Ryans response to Slowthai on twitter, I don’t think he’ll be removed from the lineup.

Also I think they would have been pretty on it and silently removed him today at some point if they were going to. 

She dismissed the whole thing as a joke, but, it certainly didn’t come across that way on the videos. 

42 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

#artist.

Plenty of artists have subpar lyrics and it doesn't effect their music because thankfully lyrics aren't everything about a song, Migos don't aim to be lyrical geniuses but they're hype and are front runners in traps revival and have managed to stay relevant unlike Fetty Wap and Desiigner, they're massive in the US and have had very good success over here, picking out a use of lyrics like that out of context to try and disprove them as an artist isn't a good argument, Billie Eilish future headliner, multiple grammy winner, artist of the year has the lyrics "I'm a bad guy, I'm a bad guy, Bad guy, bad guy, I'm a bad-" and "I wanna end me, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna end me, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna"

P.S. this is not me trying to say Billie Eilish isn't talented, i think she deserves all the success she's gotten and love her music just trying to show how stupid his argument is that repetitive lyrics make or break an #artist.

Edited by OnlyRevolutions

45 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

#artist.

the guy from muse once rhymed soon with direction, and wrote the line "you're an ocean i'm an oil slick." 
however, their music still bangs

lyrics don't have to be mind-blowingly amazing for the song to be good lmfao

I’ve got to jump in on this. I was shocked when I saw this year’s poster at how few female acts there were on the bill, especially higher up the line up. It’s not atypical from R&L though which is one of the reasons I avoid their festival.

I think it’s pretty awful they haven’t had a female headliner in so long, especially as there are plenty of artists who are good enough. To initially put Billie eilish in nme tent, when she should be coheadlining, that’s pretty insulting. Dua lipa, Lana del ray, Florence and the machine, lizzo, avril lavigne, all big enough to headline too. There’s plenty of female acts out there who fit the demographic of the festival with are big enough to headline or play high up on the main stage (wolf alice should be main not nme), they just choose not to book them. That’s why I think it’s such a sexist festival, especially when Smirnoff sponsors them and claims to be creating a gender balance within the music industry (which they are not seeing as R&L literally couldn’t care less about diversifying their line up).

I have no clue if it’s festival republic in general though as we do see bands like haim, Lana, chvrches, cardi b, play high up at other of their festivals. It seems to be an R&L specific problem, and when they do book big female acts, they put them way too far down on the bill (Dua lipa another key example of being way too overcrowded too early on in the day)

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve got to jump in on this. I was shocked when I saw this year’s poster at how few female acts there were on the bill, especially higher up the line up. It’s not atypical from R&L though which is one of the reasons I avoid their festival.

I think it’s pretty awful they haven’t had a female headliner in so long, especially as there are plenty of artists who are good enough. To initially put Billie eilish in nme tent, when she should be coheadlining, that’s pretty insulting. Dua lipa, Lana del ray, Florence and the machine, lizzo, avril lavigne, all big enough to headline too. There’s plenty of female acts out there who fit the demographic of the festival with are big enough to headline or play high up on the main stage (wolf alice should be main not nme), they just choose not to book them. That’s why I think it’s such a sexist festival, especially when Smirnoff sponsors them and claims to be creating a gender balance within the music industry (which they are not seeing as R&L literally couldn’t care less about diversifying their line up).

I have no clue if it’s festival republic in general though as we do see bands like haim, Lana, chvrches, cardi b, play high up at other of their festivals. It seems to be an R&L specific problem, and when they do book big female acts, they put them way too far down on the bill (Dua lipa another key example of being way too overcrowded too early on in the day)

Agreed with some of the artists you've suggested to headline the festival besides Avril Lavigne and Lana Del Rey, Avril is an amazing artist who has put out so many bangers in the past but could she really headline UK's second biggest festival in 2020? i highly doubt it, she's a heritage act now surely? but i haven't been keeping up to date with her recent output of music so unsure on her current popularity.. Lana Del Rey is definitely big enough but doesn't seem like an R&L booking to me, don't think that would please too many of the people that go considering the reaction that some of the headliners get i think it would be pretty brutal.. Dua and Lizzo are definitely worthy of it now though and i'm still shocked Florence have never done it.

Ariana Grande to headline one year too please!

1 minute ago, OnlyRevolutions said:

Agreed with some of the artists you've suggested to headline the festival besides Avril Lavigne and Lana Del Rey, Avril is an amazing artist who has put out so many bangers in the past but could she really headline UK's second biggest festival in 2020? i highly doubt it, she's a heritage act now surely? but i haven't been keeping up to date with her recent output of music so unsure on her current popularity.. Lana Del Rey is definitely big enough but doesn't seem like an R&L booking to me, don't think that would please too many of the people that go considering the reaction that some of the headliners get i think it would be pretty brutal.. Dua and Lizzo are definitely worthy of it now though and i'm still shocked Florence have never done it.

Ariana Grande to headline one year too please!

I was just throwing names out there, not particularly as a perfect fit for R&L just big names which could headline UK festivals in general. I’m just shocked at how many female artists are on the bill this year, when I first looked at the poster I could see one (mabel, and then I looked more closely and there was still barely any).

Looking at latitude they have some big female names this year (haim, Tove lo and Charlie xcx), so there’s literally no excuse from R&L to have a few big female names high up in the line up. There’s plenty out there to choose from.

Just now, dum surfer said:

YES! Festival Republic just need to fucking do it, Ari for 2021

It’s just not going to happen. I know R&L has become so much more pop and rap whereas in the old days it was a rock festival... but to me it appears the bookers for R&L seem very sexist and that’s why female artists have always been, and will continue to be undervalued at their festivals. Just think it’s pretty awful to be honest.

16 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

To initially put Billie eilish in nme tent, when she should be coheadlining, that’s pretty insulting.

I don't think it was insulting. She was nowhere near big enough to coheadline when FR booked her. No one expected her popularity would grow so much (and in such short time).

5 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

It’s just not going to happen. I know R&L has become so much more pop and rap whereas in the old days it was a rock festival... but to me it appears the bookers for R&L seem very sexist and that’s why female artists have always been, and will continue to be undervalued at their festivals. Just think it’s pretty awful to be honest.

I agree, but, i do think it could work. I don’t think she’d look out of place on the poster next to a heavier act and an indie act. Especially with a good hip hop sub and decent guitar band third down.

Although a very different festival I think Primavera Sound have the best lineups in terms of acts booked and diversity, i think every big festival should try and take note from them