Lineup 2020

randlfan

I won 2 tickets to Leeds last year through a comp on planet rock. We had guest camp passes and guest wristbands that allowed you access to a bar and sitting area to the right of the stage. It's got the press tent etc in it. I'm guessing you'll be paying for access to that, rather than the viewing platform being at front of stage.

Managed to speak to Frank Carter. Saw Yungblud kicking about in there. Saw MGK make an idiot of himself by trying to get in Club Rami (foos) area and being turned away by security because he didn't have the wrist band.

I liked the area, easier to get a drink did carlsberg export in there too. It had DJs on til 2am in the bar tent. Nicer toilets with running water. 

Not really worth £100 a day. May as well pay for camping plus and bring your own tent at £100 per person for the weekend, I think you get the guest area bands with that too.

Edited by kev1664

2 minutes ago, Preensie said:

Glastos organiser Emily Eavis has said glasto need to be 50\50 on male and female acts in the future, I wonder is read&leeds will say the same

How unfair, book an act purely based on their sex and not their talent.  I agree with trying to promote more women but only if they are deserving.

Just now, Preensie said:

Glastos organiser Emily Eavis has said glasto need to be 50\50 on male and female acts in the future, I wonder is read&leeds will say the same

It's a nice aim but the higher up bill will be hard without having to exhaust the female acts pool too quickly, it might end up like Download where it feels samey all the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Preensie said:

As much as I think it’s great that festival organisers are trying to do this I don’t think it’s applicable for every festival. I think bands/artists need to be booked on merit rather than on gender, they also need to suit the demographic of the festival and actually be on tour/available to be booked. The gender imbalance in music needs to start at schools and grassroots venues and the female artists/bands will form and be able to be booked in future. It shouldn’t have to be a 50/50 split because you could end up alienating bands based on gender and as long as festivals aren’t doing that I think there’s no problem with there not being a 50/50 split. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Isambard said:

How unfair, book an act purely based on their sex and not their talent.  I agree with trying to promote more women but only if they are deserving.

I agree with this 100% but i think there are more female acts that could of made it 2/3 down on main stage

13 minutes ago, foolee said:

As much as I think it’s great that festival organisers are trying to do this I don’t think it’s applicable for every festival. I think bands/artists need to be booked on merit rather than on gender, they also need to suit the demographic of the festival and actually be on tour/available to be booked. The gender imbalance in music needs to start at schools and grassroots venues and the female artists/bands will form and be able to be booked in future. It shouldn’t have to be a 50/50 split because you could end up alienating bands based on gender and as long as festivals aren’t doing that I think there’s no problem with there not being a 50/50 split. 

Hit the nail on the head. ATM these just not enough female acts that can make it to the top of a festivals line up, given that theres so many festivals 

10 minutes ago, Preensie said:

I agree with this 100% but i think there are more female acts that could of made it 2/3 down on main stage

Hit the nail on the head. ATM these just not enough female acts that can make it to the top of a festivals line up, given that theres so many festivals 

I'd agree that the quota isn't a good idea, however there needs to be some sort of concrete policy that will help bridge the gap for female artists. I personally think it's a much more complex problem that is rooted in the fact that young girls are less inclined to start playing in bands than boys due to social norms and stereotypes. Having more female role models would 100% help create a shift in attitudes.

The fact that it's so far fetched to imagine a Reading and Leeds lineup headlined by all female acts speaks volumes. Regardless, it's a step in the right direction.

In regards to the guest upgrade it just sounds like paying for a guest wristband. So you can visit the guest area, got a separate bar with stuff they don't sell on the public ones, its own screen for the main stage you can sit down and watch. I can't imagine what the viewing platform is but to be fair it doesn't sound too far different from the RIP packages at download or the VIP packages at literally every other festival bar Glasto. Hopefully it'll be nothing, just mean the guest area will be filled with folk who have money to burn on top of the mostly arrogant folk that currently occupy it. 

16 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

I see this excuse far too often. I understand that 50/50 may be hard to reach although a few more than 3 female acts on the main stage surely isn't

Does any one know in general what percentage of all bands are male / female / mixed ? 

1 minute ago, Preensie said:

Not sure on percentage, but im pretty sure I'm right when i say there hasn't been a femal headliner for 10 years at r&l

I meant in general. i.e. if the ratio of male to female bands to choose from overall is say 60/40 then that would be a realistic ratio to try to achieve.

Only 20% of all acts signed to record labels in the U.K. are women I believe. Think it was in a BBC article the other day.

Not saying I think that’s an excuse btw, I’m in favour of more females I just don’t have time to write a detailed explanation and reasoning like I’d want to on the subject.