Lineup 2020

randlfan

Weird to think that when RATM last played in 2008 they drew one of the biggest crowds the festival had seen, but this year they could actually end up having the smallest crowd out of the three headliners, what with Stormzy being pretty much the biggest artist in the country right now, and Liam being Liam.

39 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Rage are nowhere near as big as Muse. Muse sell stadiums out wherever they go, Rage couldn’t do that. 

Depends on the territory imo. I don't think Muse are that big in the USA and indeed Muse have opened at a few RATM gigs in the US in the past. But everywhere else Muse are a huge deal.

17 minutes ago, zak14 said:

If the youngsters wanna listen to things like rage against the machine or nirvana, over a legendary songwriter like Bob Dylan then something is seriously wrong in this world!

Almost sounds like what I imagine this board would've been like in 1993.

3 minutes ago, zak14 said:

Sorry mate, don’t think it’s relevant to the thread!

I don't think half the stuff in this thread so far has been relevant to the general discussion.

The fact some kids have no idea about rage makes me feel old as fuck. Growing up seeing rage at Reading would probably be one of my number 1 wishes every year on the lineup.

I’ve just noticed as well that rage last released an album 20 years ago. Probably older than most reading attendees. 

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

Weird to think that when RATM last played in 2008 they drew one of the biggest crowds the festival had seen, but this year they could actually end up having the smallest crowd out of the three headliners, what with Stormzy being pretty much the biggest artist in the country right now, and Liam being Liam.

Nah. I think the rage day will have a lot of day ticket attendees coming just for them. Especially if it’s a UK exclusive.

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

i still think it'll be a huge crowd. never underestimate the power of the day ticket

but you could be right. me and my mates could be the only teenagers at the front lmfao

Edited by defender4

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Nah. I think the rage day will have a lot of day ticket attendees coming just for them. Especially if it’s a UK exclusive.

Just now, defender4 said:

i still think that it'll be a huge crowd. never underestimate the power of the day ticket

but you could be right. me and my mates could be the only teenagers at the front lmfao

They'll be a big draw, no doubt about it, but the other two (supposed) headliners are both absolutely massive names who are well known to the "normies" in a way that RATM aren't.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Almost sounds like what I imagine this board would've been like in 1993.

That’s exactly what I was going for

4 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't think half the stuff in this thread so far has been relevant to the general discussion.

Was more I don’t want to get into where I live than it actually being that irrelevant!

Just now, VCK said:

They'll be a big draw, no doubt about it, but the other two (supposed) headliners are both absolutely massive names who are well known to the "normies" in a way that RATM aren't.

I’d be shocked if Rage had a small crowd. If Reading is the only chance to see them this summer then it’s going to be packed out.

Some younger crowd members may be unaware of their draw. But their draw is massive, especially at R&L. It’s been said thousands of times but it will bring back old Reading festival attendees who haven’t been in years.

So what if the kids aren’t totally down with it. Rage will be selling plenty of tickets to their fans to fill the crowd up.

1 minute ago, Tom Connolly said:

oh my god NIN into Rage. i just got butterflies man

Very long shot but I'm praying for Tool. As they're friends with RATM and have even collaborated with them, surely they'd be willing to step down from a headline slot for their mates? ;)

Plus I think Tool are one of the very few acts who could prove to be a hard act to follow for Rage.

Will probably never happen, but I'm praying.

Just now, VCK said:

Very long shot but I'm praying for Tool. As they're friends with RATM and have even collaborated with them, surely they'd be willing to step down from a headline slot for their mates? ;)

Plus I think Tool are one of the very few acts who could prove to be a hard act to follow for Rage.

Will probably never happen, but I'm praying.

Zero chance with fear innoculum. The crowd for that would be fucking w*nk. People talking through the whole thing.

a Rage / Tool coheadlining gig though... somewhere else... would be awesome

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’d be shocked if Rage had a small crowd. If Reading is the only chance to see them this summer then it’s going to be packed out.

Some younger crowd members may be unaware of their draw. But their draw is massive, especially at R&L. It’s been said thousands of times but it will bring back old Reading festival attendees who haven’t been in years.

So what if the kids aren’t totally down with it. Rage will be selling plenty of tickets to their fans to fill the crowd up.

It definitely won't be a small crowd like I said, but I think Stormzy and Liam will both pack the place out.

Re your last paragraph, I hope this happens and gives the festival promoters incentive to book more leftfield headliners rather than just going for safe options, year in, year out.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Zero chance with fear innoculum. The crowd for that would be fucking w*nk. People talking through the whole thing.

Just imagine though. Then Maynard joining RATM for Know Your Enemy.

Tool would shift a lot of day tickets too, mind you.

Edited by VCK

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If only Chris Cornell was still with us! Soundgarden sub haha and Audioslave secret set! :P

Edited by TornShaun

Just now, defender4 said:

i still think that it'll be a huge crowd. never underestimate the power of the day ticket

Not quite apples with apples but RATM day tickets at Boston calling in the US have old sold both Foo Fighter and RHCP tickets, their rarity is definitely a factor that will draw people to see them.

History suggests this will be many's only chance so see them in at least 10 years and whatever people say bands are better when they're younger...