Lineup 2020

randlfan

3 hours ago, Hello123There said:

Hello there, 

Past few years I have been hitting up festivals and gigs, more and more. Im growing up I guess - so looking at preidictions and potentially ideas for festivials is a given. Any real suggestions or bets on whos doing Leeds and reading this year - or is it purely speculation and luck.... Which leads me to my next question - how are festvials run? Like who books the artists? and why, who selects the range of talent and people etc., 

Obviously, some festivials lean into different genres than others etc.,.... but just generally curious about how such big festivials get setup and who makes decisions like who performs and not, as well as line up posts and what not.

It depends on the festival, but in terms of your big festivals like R+L they're run by promotion companies who book the bands i.e Festival Republic (think they do Reading) or Live Nation (think they part-own FR now) alongside running gigs and other events for bands...... others are run by essentially one man bands doing it as a passion project. 

They'll no doubt have a list of contacts but it's essentially a mixture of who fits their brand, is available, and they can afford. Most big festivals have evolved from smaller test festivals though.

12 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

Jesus Christ! Can you lend me your time machine....

T was shut down because it attracted a certain demographic and not a demographic any festival should actively court.

And yes bands like Liam Gallagher and the Courteeners are exactly the kind of bands that shouldn't be near any sensibly booked festival.

And the 'dark fruits' genre is popular with 30-40 year old drunks who grew up on the Libertines/Arctic Monkeys/Courteeners/Pigeon Detectives, not with teens. If Readings bookers think teens are still listen to dark fruits music their way behind the curve. 

Hip hop/Rap/Soundcloud or your new wave of Brit-punk is where it's at for that demographic. 

Hip hop is massively popular with the demographic and so is 'dark fruits' and so (unfortunately) is brit-punk. You can't generalise the whole demographic's music taste, just look at the varied lineup booked by the actual bookers, who's job it is to know what the people like.

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Wtf is this brit-punk shit people keep mentioning? 

It better not be Slaves. 

It's bands like Idles, Shame and yes Slaves.

Basically all the bands who listened to one album by The Clash or The Jam and think that's how you make good punk music.... it's basically neo-lad rock without different guitar tones and faux political leanings......

Edited by madmaninabox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

Somewhere around Catfish and the Bottlemen if this was an left-right musical chart between Churches and The Pigeon Detectives if that makes sense.....

I'm not denying a segment of young people are into indie music/dark fruits music. (Although in my experience they lean far more to the 'indie' end than the dark fruits (lad rock) end of that spectrum. I.e they'd reach for Arctic Monkeys WPSIAM long before The Courteeneers NNF).  But there's also a huge segment of young people who are into metal or into rap or into whatever. One of the great bonuses of accessibility of music is that it definitely makes genres that mainstream media might have wanted to pillar and kill off accessible to everyone, the downside is it keeps genres that really should have gone past their natural life cycle and being usurped alive.....

I find the way reading tries to coalesce these vastly different groups (yes, 'younger' people are more open to diversifying their music tastes than perhaps in the past but still) baffling to be honest and always have..... which is probably why I lean towards festivals with much more defined 'We Are A Rock Festival, Live With It Or Fuck Off' type billings.

As I said I only came here the first place to weigh up the possibility of getting a day ticket if BMTH, Blink182 or MCR were booked. Seems like that might be an option for at least one of these bands... fair enough.

Get yourself your day ticket mate because 2 out of 3 of those bands you mentioned will definately be playing trust me(BMTH and Blink182 😉). 

11 hours ago, metallimuse said:

I’m in the minority, I quite like The Courteeners 🤫.

Are you all southerners or something? 😜

I'm a Northerner (Leeds) and I've never understood the appeal. I'm into all the big name Manchester bands but I just find them so bland.

11 hours ago, madmaninabox said:

I find the way reading tries to coalesce these vastly different groups (yes, 'younger' people are more open to diversifying their music tastes than perhaps in the past but still) baffling to be honest and always have..... which is probably why I lean towards festivals with much more defined 'We Are A Rock Festival, Live With It Or Fuck Off' type billings.

It’s the reason why I like Reading so much, you go from watching one thing, to something completely different and they’re all well supported and enjoyed by a pretty diverse crowd. 

Why I like a lot of what is on at Download or similar, I don’t want a whole weekend of it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Benj said:

It’s the reason why I like Reading so much, you go from watching one thing, to something completely different and they’re all well supported and enjoyed by a pretty diverse crowd. 

Why I like a lot of what is on at Download or similar, I don’t want a whole weekend of it. 

Totally agree! There's always something for me to watch! (and if nothing head to the Dance Tent lol)

Last year i watched everything from Olivia Nelson to Sea Girls to Billie Eilish to Andy C to Frank Carter to ADTR to Foos! 

17 minutes ago, Benj said:

I guess this is the difference, I want a whole weekend of that stuff, or a fully tailored bill towards the headliner if another festival books those kind of bands (BMTH, Blink 182) which is I accept is incredibly self-entitled. Hence why I'll only be looking in the day ticket direction if R+L book one of these bands. (or their own shows - when they don't sell out in less than half an hour).

Different strokes for different strokes.

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Case in point being the 1975 day last year. A hip hop act, followed by a pop punk band, followed by an Indie band, followed by a hard rock band, followed by...whatever The 1975 are even classed as.

17 minutes ago, VCK said:

Case in point being the 1975 day last year. A hip hop act, followed by a pop punk band, followed by an Indie band, followed by a hard rock band, followed by...whatever The 1975 are even classed as.

That run of YMA6 / Wombats / Royal Blood / 1975 was biblical 

5 hours ago, TornShaun said:

Yeah we definitely need the first announcement to get the thread back on topic! 

Its tempting to think that had Liam Gallagher not said he was doing it, we'd still be on a blank slate for anything being announced full stop.

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

Some people do like that kind of tonal whiplash tbf. But it can get a bit unusual.

I felt that with Reading 17 - undercard for Muse being Liam Gallagher, Blossoms, Giggs, Architects and Against the Current, which covers what I suppose counts as lad rock, rap/hip-hop, metal and pop-punk. Similar with some of the high acts before Eminem including Korn and At The Drive In the previous day.

At the end of the day, I can handle a little tonal whiplash if what it is being provided is just good music on the whole. Sometimes it gets it right, sometimes it doesn't.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Its tempting to think that had Liam Gallagher not said he was doing it, we'd still be on a blank slate for anything being announced full stop.

Some people do like that kind of tonal whiplash tbf. But it can get a bit unusual.

I felt that with Reading 17 - undercard for Muse being Liam Gallagher, Blossoms, Giggs, Architects and Against the Current, which covers what I suppose counts as lad rock, rap/hip-hop, metal and pop-punk. Similar with some of the high acts before Eminem including Korn and At The Drive In the previous day.

At the end of the day, I can handle a little tonal whiplash if what it is being provided is just good music on the whole. Sometimes it gets it right, sometimes it doesn't.

A little tonal whiplish is fine - hardcore punk before metal or hair metal before death metal.

If you're going to put Architects and Blossoms on the same bill, your going after a very weird crowd.

3 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

I'd sooner slit my gentlemen's staff than watch that run of indie crap.....

I watched the top 3 but broke it up by seeing other acts in between them and not seeing the whole of each acts set. I'd be inclined to agree with you in terms of staying at the main all day haha. This is coming from someone who actually likes indie music too, feel for those who don't lmao. Awful day for those.

Edited by TheWaters