Lineup 2020

randlfan

26 minutes ago, TornShaun said:

Does that mean the Foos weren't relevant last year?

Foo Fighters are still consistently releasing critically acclaimed albums and are a big presence in music, everybody loves Dave.

The others either haven’t released anything of note for years with the exception possibly of Biffy but their star has waned let’s be honest. When they release an album it’s not really a huge deal where as when the Foos drop an album the world sits up and takes notice.

And this is coming from someone who thought on a personal level that the Foos was a boring booking, but I understood it.

Edited by metallimuse
Grammar and spelling

8 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Foo Fighters are still consistently releasing  critically acclaimed albums are a big presence in music, everybody loves Dave.

The others either haven’t released anything of note for years with the exception possibly of Biffy but their star has waned let’s be honest. When they realise an album it’s not really a huge deal where as when the Foos drop an album the world sits up and takes notice.

And this is coming from someone who thought on a personal level that the Foos was a boring booking, but I understood why it happened.

Fair comment!

11 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

Why?

There a huge band? They've played R+L before. They're global superstars. 

That wasn’t the reason behind my post good sir but rather that that particular question has been debated non stop the past few pages.

But in answer, in short, no.

10 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

That wasn’t the reason behind my post good sir but rather that that particular question has been debated non stop the past few pages.

But in answer, in short, no.

There's nothing to specifically rule them out to be frank.

Will get a day ticket if they do show up.

Edited by madmaninabox

6 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

There's nothing to specifically rule them out to be frank.

Will get a day ticket if they do show up.

You are correct, of course, but the circumstantial evidence as has been previously discussed suggest that they will not be playing this year.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

You are correct, of course, but the circumstantial evidence as has been previously discussed suggest that they will not be playing this year.

There doing a few other UK shows. That have sold out. That's the only circumstantial evidence.

The people who bought those tickets have already bought their tickets, an announcement of R+L won't impact those gigs.

Edited by madmaninabox

31 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

What kind of festival wants to attract the 'dark fruits scene'?

Do you want Reading + Leeds to get closed down for being too dangerous like T in the Park? That's what'll happen if you book those bands.

T in the Park wasn't shut down for booking certain bands ffs. 

"Indie" music (dark fruits as it's called) is really popular with teens at the moment, and that's exactly who they want to please as they're the target demographic. 

Like it or not, bands like Courteeners will continue to play and if Liam being a Headliner isn't an indication I don't know what is. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dangerbreaks said:

T in the Park wasn't shut down for booking certain bands ffs. 

"Indie" music (dark fruits as it's called) is really popular with teens at the moment, and that's exactly who they want to please as they're the target demographic. 

Like it or not, bands like Courteeners will continue to play and if Liam being a Headliner isn't an indication I don't know what is. 

Jesus Christ! Can you lend me your time machine....

T was shut down because it attracted a certain demographic and not a demographic any festival should actively court.

And yes bands like Liam Gallagher and the Courteeners are exactly the kind of bands that shouldn't be near any sensibly booked festival.

And the 'dark fruits' genre is popular with 30-40 year old drunks who grew up on the Libertines/Arctic Monkeys/Courteeners/Pigeon Detectives, not with teens. If Readings bookers think teens are still listen to dark fruits music their way behind the curve. 

Hip hop/Rap/Soundcloud or your new wave of Brit-punk is where it's at for that demographic. 

Edited by madmaninabox
  • Downvote 10

20 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

T was shut down because it attracted a certain demographic and not a demographic any festival should actively court.

And yes bands like Liam Gallagher and the Courteeners are exactly the kind of bands that shouldn't be near any sensibly booked festival.

And the 'dark fruits' genre is popular with 30-40 year old drunks who grew up on the Libertines/Arctic Monkeys/Courteeners/Pigeon Detectives, not with teens. If Readings bookers think teens are still listen to dark fruits music their way behind the curve. 

Hip hop/Rap/Soundcloud or your new wave of Brit-punk is where it's at for that demographic. 

a few things about this:

- i’m 18 and i’m a very big fan of this ‘dark fruits music’ you describe, R&L is the main attraction for people my age and my music taste so if FR were to isolate such an important demographic they’d lose a lot of sales.... doesn’t make sense. 

- there are a lot of other festivals to cater for hip hop/rap such as wireless, lovebox, parklife etc. R&L seems to cater for indie, rap, dnb etc so it’s a good mix. 

- I like LG and Courteeners (hench the ironic username i made 2 years ago) and as so many others, there’s a big demand for both amongst people my age, hence the volume of tickets shifted by them and other bands like AM, circa waves, dma’s, blossoms etc etc. Just becuase of a few idiots, why wouldn’t they be a ‘sensible’ booking? They shift tickets well & pull good crowds

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LG X said:

a few things about this:

- i’m 18 and i’m a very big fan of this ‘dark fruits music’ you describe, R&L is the main attraction for people my age and my music taste so if FR were to isolate such an important demographic they’d lose a lot of sales.... doesn’t make sense. 

- there are a lot of other festivals to cater for hip hop/rap such as wireless, lovebox, parklife etc. R&L seems to cater for indie, rap, dnb etc so it’s a good mix. 

- I like LG and Courteeners (hench the ironic username i made 2 years ago) and as so many others, there’s a big demand for both amongst people my age, hence the volume of tickets shifted by them and other bands like AM, circa waves, dma’s, blossoms etc etc. Just becuase of a few idiots, why wouldn’t they be a ‘sensible’ booking? They shift tickets well & pull good crowds

- Good for you - maybe when you're a bit older you realise how you you don't represent every teenager in the same way you won't represent every adult, online streaming charts and the chart suggest lad rock is not the biggest attraction anymore.

- So why the fuck did Reading book Kendrick Lamaar, ah yes because if they only booked lad rock people in their late 20s would be the youngest punters bar a few exceptions. Why are they chasing Billie Eish? Because they aren't a rock fest....

- They may pull in large crowds, generally large crowds of hyper aggressive males, like at T in the Park who do too many drugs, drink too much, fight with eachother and cause problems. Reading would be stupid to book them over The 1975, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, U2, Iron Maiden, Metallica or Billie Eilish, Kendrick Lamaar, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy or any other band on the planet with a better fanbase

Edited by madmaninabox
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VCK said:

The Stone Roses probably qualify as "dark fruits" and they're better than any artist that gets booked to play R&L these days.

The Libertines definitely qualify as lad rock, and are better than most of the bands Reading and Leeds book these days. That doesn't mean it would be sensible for Reading or any festival to book them

Edited by madmaninabox

36 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

that absolutely isn't why T was 'shut down'

3 minutes ago, madmaninabox said:

The Libertines definitely qualify as lad rock, and are better than most of the bands Reading and Leeds book these days. That doesn't mean it would be sensible for Reading or any festival to book them

Why not? They've played the festival five times before.