Lineup 2020

randlfan

2 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I miss V festival. If it were still around I wouldn't have to see Lewis Capaldi keep getting suggested for Reading.

Whatever happened to the proposed replacement?

Its funny how it died. So many people were saying they were going down the wrong direction with the pop focus, who have since proved to be right. It used to sell out so quickly for so long, only to suddenly seemingly disappear just like that.

It was a poor festival in regards to queues for beer etc... and endless walks between stages

1 minute ago, Benj said:

Whatever happened to the proposed replacement?

Its funny how it died. So many people were saying they were going down the wrong direction with the pop focus, who have since proved to be right. It used to sell out so quickly for so long, only to suddenly seemingly disappear just like that.

It was a poor festival in regards to queues for beer etc... and endless walks between stages

Rize festival also got cancelled after one year as it’s replacement haha. Clearly didn’t learn from their mistakes as it was still a pop festival and sold terribly apparently.

I'm pretty sure this year we will see the likes of Vampire Weekend and they'll be the main roll over from Glastonbury last year as there set ws pretty incredible plus Melvin benn loves his guitar skills as some of you might remember in 2018 he only booked Kings of leon cause he thought there guitar skills were awesome even though they were pretty trash live. So Vampire Weekend will probably be subbing on the sunday. Plus I believe Two Door Cinema Club will be headlining the radio 1 stage one of the days as there following has slightly dropped since there latest album and they would fit that slot very well.

45 minutes ago, lukecork said:

Yeah i've never got into Tool but i know they're absolutely massive in their field, Just out of curiosity how was their last album perceived ? 

Not sure they're R&L material.

They're my favourite band, and it was a "very Tool album". Definitely made a lot of fans happy after a 13 year wait but nothing particularly new that would draw in new listeners, other than the fact that they're back.

If you're gonna give them a go, listen to the album Lateralus. It's their best and gives you a good indication of what they're all about. It's worth 1hr20 of your life, who knows, you might fall in love, you might hate it. There's nothing quite like them for better or worse. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dim Sum said:

Plus I believe Two Door Cinema Club will be headlining the radio 1 stage one of the days as there following has slightly dropped since there latest album and they would fit that slot very well.

I’d argue quite the opposite. They’ve been promoted to sub-headlining the Other Stage at Glasto, as well as playing an arena tour and big headline shows at Truck, Boardmasters, Tramlines, Y Not etc since they last played R/L. They’ve significantly upped their live performance and would pull a good crowd. They headlined the R1 tent recently, then played 3rd to last on the main stage. If they’re back this year, they would sub imo.

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Arctic Monkeys are to the standard R/L crowd what Fleetwood Mac are to Glasto, I suppose.

Except from AM actually have played Reading :P 

They are an incredibly popular act. Heightened by the fact that they don’t really do as many festival shows as they used to. I’ve been attending festivals since 2011 and I’ve seen them three times I think. You’ve got to remember now that a significant chunk of the modern festival market has probably never seen them.

22 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

How are people still suggesting Arctic Monkeys? They aren’t even active this year ffs

Yeah as others have said they're always hyped up on Twitter before lineup announcements since the R&L "indie" crowd seem to love them. 

Only thing that's stopping me personally from ruling them out is the recent tendency to book acts that should've been booked the year before a la Eminem or Foos 😂

27 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

They're my favourite band, and it was a "very Tool album". Definitely made a lot of fans happy after a 13 year wait but nothing particularly new that would draw in new listeners, other than the fact that they're back.

If you're gonna give them a go, listen to the album Lateralus. It's their best and gives you a good indication of what they're all about. It's worth 1hr20 of your life, who knows, you might fall in love, you might hate it. There's nothing quite like them for better or worse. 

Cheers, will eventually get round to this.

16 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Except from AM actually have played Reading :P 

They are an incredibly popular act. Heightened by the fact that they don’t really do as many festival shows as they used to. I’ve been attending festivals since 2011 and I’ve seen them three times I think. You’ve got to remember now that a significant chunk of the modern festival market has probably never seen them.

All this said next album cycle I reckon they’ll do Glasto. Potentially Reading after, but I don’t think they’re in a hurry. Turner’s probably pretty flushed right now.

16 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

All this said next album cycle I reckon they’ll do Glasto. Potentially Reading after, but I don’t think they’re in a hurry. Turner’s probably pretty flushed right now.

I don’t think they feel they need to hammer the festival circuit as much as they used to. I also don’t think a new album from them will be an imminent priority either. I think with tranquility it looks like they are taking a more intimate approach to how they release music and tour. They still won’t do a stadium it seems.

10 minutes ago, Gavin Ballin said:

I just saw Tool in concert last night, sold out shows throughout the states

I’m a massive tool fan but I know that they have a very very small fan base in the UK. This might be due to a fault of their own in the fact that they have typically paid the UK dust. I think download was their first show here in ages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’m a massive tool fan but I know that they have a very very small fan base in the UK. This might be due to a fault of their own in the fact that they have typically paid the UK dust. I think download was their first show here in ages.

Refusing to stream their discography doesn't really help either, not sure if that effected their UK fan growth like. They seem very loved or ignored over here. Never really an in between i find. 

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

13 year gap between UK shows, both of which were Download, the length of time between albums. Not once did they come back in those 13 years just to play existing material. 

The weirdest part is that Justin (bassist) is English. Must have told them some right horror stories about growing up in London in the 70s that put them off.

7 minutes ago, Kian said:

Chances of SFG (Scouting For Girls) being on the lineup somewhere?

I would have thought they were in with a shout but as you can see, I don't think it would be a popular choice. However, that never puts promoters off booking acts.

2 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Rize festival also got cancelled after one year as it’s replacement haha. Clearly didn’t learn from their mistakes as it was still a pop festival and sold terribly apparently.

The mistake was indie headliners and a pop undercard though really wasn't it

3 hours ago, Dales said:

All sounds fairly likely but what would you do with Lewis Capaldi? He seems to have went straight to the top of the ladder rather quickly.

Is he not considered headline material these days? I'm not sure about placement on a lineup. Would he be a "special guest"?

I think he would play like a mid afternoon 4ish slot on the Main Stage almost like Billie last year time wise coz they’ll draw a similar sized crowd

Edited by Gerard the Fab