Lineup 2020

randlfan

11 hours ago, Benj said:

I remember when loads were stunned that Faith No More were only headlining the tent as opposed to subbing the main, cue the night itself and the tent was at most a 1/4 full...

People's idea of how popular bands are are completely shaped by their own experiences. 

Wonder Years for Co-head anyone??

You’ve just reminded me of when LCD Soundsystem played T in the Park in 2016. Probably one of the hottest reunions of that year, they headlined coachella, big slot at glasto and this forum was going mad for them.

T in the Park though... another story.

Bare in mind they were HEADLINING that stage.

4BC5E9CF-2F3D-49F5-AC64-E3874D61F4E7.png

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You’ve just reminded me of when LCD Soundsystem played T in the Park in 2016. Probably one of the hottest reunions of that year, they headlined coachella, big slot at glasto and this forum was going mad for them.

T in the Park though... another story.

Bare in mind they were HEADLINING that stage.

4BC5E9CF-2F3D-49F5-AC64-E3874D61F4E7.png

That actually hurts to look at 😂 Any other 'big' examples of this happening?

Edited by Han Ford

Funnily enough they were up against RHCP

If it's any consolation, it was a literal mudbath that year and that specific area in the shot was like walking through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (plus the special candy flying about). I seem to remember quite a large portion of the crowd were standing at the other side of the stage out of shot, to avoid the mud, making the crowd look smaller than it actually was.

You're still right though, the crowd was criminally small for LCD. Although, it made seeing them headline APE 2018 even sweeter when they got a deservedly large crowd size, maybe even the biggest of that weekend

7 minutes ago, Han Ford said:

That's actually hurts to look at 😂 Any other 'big' examples of this happening?

The Tears headlined the NME tent the one year. It was supposedly the big return of Brett Anderson with his new band. 

Sadly, the Foo Fighters, perhaps at their very peak we’re on the main stage and why I and many, many others weren’t there to see it, they apparently basically had two rows worth of people across the barrier and that was that. 

6 hours ago, Gerard the Fab said:

No Post Malone only increased his already rather large fame, he was very popular in 2018 and even more 2019. Lewis Capaldi is the type of person to play Reading. Before Dua Lipa played would you say she would fit in???

I think her style definitely works. Capaldi is too... slow.

You're half right on Post Malone's popularity at the time but he wasn't a proven commodity as a ticket shifter yet. The arena tour selling like hell came in 2019. And thus the headline set too.

7 hours ago, Han Ford said:

There definitely is but none that exactly spring to mind. Apparently Coachella is the worst for this. When the Stone Roses headlined apparently the crowd was absolutely minimal. If you’re going up against a big EDM act there you’re absolutely fucked.

If Rage are against Calvin Harris this year it’l be interesting to see the size of their crowd.

RHCP, Liam Gallagher, BMTH/Travis

As a set of four headliners they'd shift tickets there's no doubt about that. I can't see anything other than this now...

Can't see them having Liam G and Courteeners on the same day, they tend not to have similar bands that draw similar crowds on the same day as each other... so can see something like this

RHCP//Courteeners//Halsey

Liam Gallagher//Skepta//Sam Fender

BMTH/Travis//Idles//Limp Bizkit

Edited by Dukey

3 minutes ago, Dukey said:

As a set of four headliners they'd shift tickets there's no doubt about that. I can't see anything other than this now...

Can't see them having Liam G and Courteeners on the same day, they tend not to have similar bands that draw similar crowds on the same day as each other... so can see something like this

Seen Bizkit in 2013 @ Download. So much fun

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There definitely is but none that exactly spring to mind. Apparently Coachella is the worst for this. When the Stone Roses headlined apparently the crowd was absolutely minimal. If you’re going up against a big EDM act there you’re absolutely fucked.

If Rage are against Calvin Harris this year it’l be interesting to see the size of their crowd.

The fact that The Stone Roses were never that big of a deal in the US to begin with played a big part in that. I remember them being announced (along with Blur) and the absolute outcry of 'who the fuck are they?' popping up everywhere.

I'm guessing Rage will do a damn site better, although probably to a lot less enthusiasm than when they last reformed to play Coachella in 2007.

8 hours ago, Han Ford said:

NOFX headlining the second stage at Download 2016 had a ridiculously tiny crowd. Was very wet and they clashed with Sabbath, so everyone was either at main stage or had called it a day and gone back to camp to dry off.

8 minutes ago, heartsink said:

Chainsmokers have today been announced for creamfields, I’d say there is a real possibility of these headlining the nme stage outright or the closing set that sometimes tends to happen (think knife party were last act to do it) 

they are miles too big for the tent - they would be stupid to consider accepting that slot

2 hours ago, Dukey said:

That sounds alright but I still maintain LG could co headline

i also think 2DCC will play and there’ll be no Courteeners

Edited by Gerard the Fab

10 hours ago, ollieg99 said:

Funnily enough they were up against RHCP

If it's any consolation, it was a literal mudbath that year and that specific area in the shot was like walking through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory (plus the special candy flying about). I seem to remember quite a large portion of the crowd were standing at the other side of the stage out of shot, to avoid the mud, making the crowd look smaller than it actually was.

You're still right though, the crowd was criminally small for LCD. Although, it made seeing them headline APE 2018 even sweeter when they got a deservedly large crowd size, maybe even the biggest of that weekend

The full set is on youtube and it is a sight to behold. There's a moment during the 1st song (Us v Them I think) where James Murphy closing his eyes for a few seconds and then opens them again, you can see him thinking 'wtf??' you can see the band looking at each other several times thinking the same thing. The camera angles are clearly trying to not show the size of the crowd but sometimes its unavoidable.

Despite the tiny crowd, it's a great concert. They won''t be going up against the Chili Peppers anytime soon, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

This thread needs to wake up Liam Gallagher is not co-headlining, his tours always sell out the day they go on sale, he’s headlining festivals throughout Europe his two albums have been fantastic and throw in all the oasis songs he does he’s the perfect headliner makes sense why foals feel comfortable to go on before him in Scotland because it would make one hell of a show

also just out of curiosity why does everyone keep throwing travis scott around? I’ve seen acts thrown in the bin on this same thread for them not having tour dates near the event, travis Scott also doesn’t have tour dates past April? 

To clarify I don’t agree that no tour dates near the event means no appearance, it’s a massive event and most acts would happily fly over for the weekend adding a show to fill the week very much like slipknot have with knotfest, (again I doubt it’s slipknot headlining) feel everyone’s expectations need to be lowered because Liam will be the superstar act 

Edited by heartsink
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2