Lineup 2020

randlfan

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Nah

I never said they had to headline also if people are rumouring BMTH to co then so can Catfish - they have sold far more than that in London for example the last 3 years easily whereas BMTH sold about 20k at APE. If BMTH can then Catfish who are more inline with the festival's audience can without a doubt. I don't particularly think either should be really though

BMTH have been built up to headline R+L with higher slots on Main stage every year then a sub in 2015 and secret set in 2018.

Apart from APE they've never headlined a festival before and havent toured anywhere near as relentlessly as Catfish who seem to headline a small fest every summer.

Yes in terms of size they are both similar, but from a prestige point of view Catfish seem happy to take the smaller headlining slots over and over again which would rule them out for a bigger one.

Off the success of amo as No.1 and with EPs out next year and almost no UK shows since Amo's release other than APE, it has to be now or never for BMTH.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, Sam Y said:

Liam Gallagher tends to not do sets longer than 1 hour and 10 minutes so I think he could be co-headlining with another indie band like catfish. I reckon we could be in for another 5 headliner year.

Liam Gallagher / Catfish

Stormzy

Travis Scott / Bring me the horizon 

I went to LG at the 02 last week and he started at 9:15 and finished just after quarter to 11, over 90 minutes, and with two encores. He could easily fill a 90 minute headline slot

Edited by HornetMan

3 hours ago, R Shah said:

BMTH have been built up to headline R+L with higher slots on Main stage every year then a sub in 2015 and secret set in 2018.

Apart from APE they've never headlined a festival before and havent toured anywhere near as relentlessly as Catfish who seem to headline a small fest every summer.

Yes in terms of size they are both similar, but from a prestige point of view Catfish seem happy to take the smaller headlining slots over and over again which would rule them out for a bigger one.

Off the success of amo as No.1 and with EPs out next year and almost no UK shows since Amo's release other than APE, it has to be now or never for BMTH.

Fingers crossed for never then

Seriously though BMTH don't have nearly as many options as catfish for small slots.

8 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

is it just me that thinks festival lineups this year are awful, theres not been one that i’ve thought was really impressive. every festival seems to have very average headliners 

To be fair I think there was a similar reaction last year (minus a couple which went down fairly well). Slam Dunk is the one that I'm most impressed with so far.

37 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

The only sticking point I have with BMTH is they've said in the past they wouldn't want to headline unless outright headliners (not co-headlining) and I'm not sure they're there yet, or ever will be, could that have changed now though?

That’s when they were on the up and looked like they were heading to outright headliner size. As it stands, their stock has dropped and I doubt they can be overly picky when it comes to headlining major festivals - they’re lucky to be getting the gig at all.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

I still think co-headlining is stupid anyway, just let them do it outright and book a strong sub.

Which looks better, The 1975 and Royal Blood co-headlining or the way they did it this year? Both looked great and there was no debate about any of it. They still get Royal Blood as a fresh headliner for album three in a year or two if they want, and The 1975 set was incredible.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

That’s when they were on the up and looked like they were heading to outright headliner size. As it stands, their stock has dropped and I doubt they can be overly picky when it comes to headlining major festivals - they’re lucky to be getting the gig at all.

How are judging that then?

AmO was critically acclaimed and went to number 1 here, top 20 in the US, they played an arena tour here in support of it and headlined APE. I don't see that as being on the wane.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

How are judging that then?

AmO was critically acclaimed and went to number 1 here, top 20 in the US, they played an arena tour here in support of it and headlined APE. I don't see that as being on the wane.

Amo got them bigger, but not really that much bigger. Their APE day apparently sold very poorly, and they were doing arena tours at the end of the TTS tour, which arguably had more momentum and hype behind them than the Amo arena tour (which was off the back of just one fairly meh single imo).

TTS was absolutely massive but Amo has just kind of fizzled out, which is a shame because BMTH are one of my favourite bands. I personally think they took on the whole 'we can write any genre of music' thing in a big way, and the end product was an album that was too divisive and scattershot for most fans.

Almost certainly getting new music from them in early 2020 though, so depending on the success of that they may become a stronger act to book; as it stands though I don't think they're strong enough to headline on their own.

On 11/29/2019 at 1:45 PM, foolee said:

I can't think of other bands that would sell well unless R&L announce someone random like Muse. 

I'm hoping that you're all going to be unwrapping the Origin of Muse boxset on Christmas morning, and it gives them the final push needed to do an Origin of Muse tour. Performing songs from Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry and Absolution. If they wanted to cash in during the break between albums then I'm confident there's an army of disillusioned Muse fans who'd go for it. Probably better suited to a one-off gig at Finsbury Park rather than R&L. 

2 hours ago, loopy01 said:

TRNSMT and Neighborhood Weekender have very good lineups. 

Musically not but sales wise I reckon they will sell out which is all a festival really should care about.

57 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm hoping that you're all going to be unwrapping the Origin of Muse boxset on Christmas morning, and it gives them the final push needed to do an Origin of Muse tour. Performing songs from Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry and Absolution. If they wanted to cash in during the break between albums then I'm confident there's an army of disillusioned Muse fans who'd go for it. Probably better suited to a one-off gig at Finsbury Park rather than R&L. 

Disillusioned - I would be delighted. I doubt they particularly care to cash in though i'm sure they are doing pretty well for themselves.

43 minutes ago, sebastian pacheco said:

Hahaha I always knew you were a BMTH hater. Keep your negativity inside of you and reckon that BMTH is ready to (at least) co-headline Reading&Leeds. They have been growing at the festival all these years along with their popularity all over the world

I mean at least if we get BMTH the money can be spent somewhere else down the bill / for a good Sunday headliner. As long as theres an alternative I don't really mind but still not convinced they can co-headline after APE although after booking Liam its not looking unlikely to say the least. Lack of better choice.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Make it Knebworth and I'm in.

1 hour ago, Pottsy2913 said:

It's pretty much a guarantee that Bring Me are doing it at this point. Holding out on a full announcement as they are trying to get MCR or Rage booked? Unlikely, but a man can dream.

It looks like Rage aren't playing in Europe until 2021.

1 hour ago, Pottsy2913 said:

It's pretty much a guarantee that Bring Me are doing it at this point. 

Is it? 

There's no rumours that they're doing it, in spite of many a prediction that includes 'em. The people who have claimed to have had reliable info that Bring Me The Horizon were headlining also didn't include Liam Gallagher in their set of headliners. 

Thirty Seconds to Mars played European dates across August/September in 2018 and I can see Bring Me The Horizon doing the same, maybe doing a run of UK shows after. I draw that comparison a) because their appearance (sub) seemed an inevitable, but never happened, and b) I feel they're both of similar standing - neither wanting anything but the top, but perhaps the festival not quite agreeing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they were announced but I don't think it's a lock by any means. Especially when Slipknot are around in August too, which I'd wager would be a much better booking. 

3 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Is it? 

There's no rumours that they're doing it, in spite of many a prediction that includes 'em. The people who have claimed to have had reliable info that Bring Me The Horizon were headlining also didn't include Liam Gallagher in their set of headliners. 

Thirty Seconds to Mars played European dates across August/September in 2018 and I can see Bring Me The Horizon doing the same, maybe doing a run of UK shows after. I draw that comparison a) because their appearance (sub) seemed an inevitable, but never happened, and b) I feel they're both of similar standing - neither wanting anything but the top, but perhaps the festival not quite agreeing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they were announced but I don't think it's a lock by any means. Especially when Slipknot are around in August too, which I'd wager would be a much better booking. 

Slipknot w BMTH subbing would be mega.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Bugger, didn't know that! Damn shame.

On the topic of Bring Me, it's just more of a gut feeling than anything, coupled with them dropping a festival date in August and (apparently) them themselves hinting at it in a stream or something? The lack of UK amo shows just makes me think that they'll end that cycle with a bang, and Reading + Leeds seems to be the best place. Can't personally see another full UK tour for that cycle. A headline slot just seems inevitable given how they've worked their way up the line up over the years. Now or never as a previous poster said.

More than anything though, it might just be me WANTING to see them headline and looking into everything as a sign that they'll headline though, granted ?

Much as I'm not a big Slipknot fan, if they did do it next year, could see Bring Me subbing, similar to how Royal Blood subbed The 1975 this year. No chance of Slipknot co-headlining with them, but that booking would probably suit both parties.

Edited by Pottsy2913