Lineup 2020

randlfan

15 hours ago, jump said:

I wouldn't call that a curve, they're more of a standard major fest booking. I'd consider something like the Jonas Brothers, Little Mix or Def Leppard more of a curveball myself rather than bands like Slipknot or Arctic Monkeys who have play the fest before.

AM are only a curve ball because they don't have an album out and aren't touring right now is what he is saying - not that they are a strange booking genre wise.

21 hours ago, Sam Y said:

My first though was BMTH but they aren't really a curveball headliner and I can't really imagine them selling heaps of day tickets. Unless there is still one headliner remaining who hasn't been booked yet who they can Co-headline with. 

Like they did at All Points East? ?

18 minutes ago, foolee said:

BMTH have been announced for a festival in Lisbon next summer so it shows they're still active next summer and as it doesn't look like they're playing download I think they'll play R&L. 

I see them more likely for a mid-sized fest like headlining the Town Centre at Boomtown, 2000 Trees, Truck etc with a bump to headliner at R&L or Download on the next album. 

I also wouldn't rule them out subbing at Download this year, bigger and more headline worthy acts than Bring Me were made to sub due to Cowboy Andy's stubbornness :P 

27 minutes ago, jump said:

I see them more likely for a mid-sized fest like headlining the Town Centre at Boomtown, 2000 Trees, Truck etc with a bump to headliner at R&L or Download on the next album. 

I also wouldn't rule them out subbing at Download this year, bigger and more headline worthy acts than Bring Me were made to sub due to Cowboy Andy's stubbornness :P 

the only festival BMTH are headlining are Download Or R&L, far too big for Boomtown, Trees and Truck

On 9/28/2019 at 7:22 PM, Yanazard said:

I don't have any names of specific artists (just yet) but I've been told that all three headliners have been booked, and apparently they're trying to appeal to as many types of music fan as possible with them. There's an Indie headliner, a rap headliner and a heavier headliner.

I've been told that two of the headliners are very much "in" at the minute and will go down well with the younger crowd. The third headliner are supposedly a bit of a curveball and not the sort of act that R&L would usually book but they have a huge following and will sell a lot of day tickets.

Gonna throw my two cents in and say AC/DC for this.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, jump said:

As someone who didn't visit the Town Centre at Boomtown asides from Salt n Pepa I'd love to see Bring Me smash that slot.

30 minutes ago, JoshuaSimmonds said:

As someone who didn't visit the Town Centre at Boomtown asides from Salt n Pepa I'd love to see Bring Me smash that slot.

Salt n Pepa were fucking quality, easily one of the highlights of the fest for me (only beneath Moscow Death Brigade who have become one of my favourite groups now) even though they'd seem to have gotten winded or something and went missing for 10-20mins.

Edited by jump

8 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Any chance of Metallica, I wonder?

They have dates lined up till Sep 2020 so it's possible but with Hetfield being locked up in rehab again it will depends how his recovery is going and if he's allowed out.

Edited by jump

Lol. I remember yonks ago a user said that Metallica have an agreement to headline R&L (roughly) every 5+ years.

2020, 2015, 2008, 2005, 1997 would loosely continue that pattern.

If the user is right and there is a heavy headliner - it could well be Metallica. However that wouldn’t fit with the info that it is someone that R&L wouldn’t usually book.

I for one am not saying that there is an agreed / factual pattern.

Metallica are just too big to be that oddball headliner I think. Not sure how much they cost but its probably around the RHCP/AM/Killers mark and in that case surely the better call would be just to pick them. I thought the slipknot stuff was bad but like to think Metallica and these other heavy names are going to play is just a bit crazy. I guess its just denial for the fact its going to be like Liam Gallagher, Courteeners and Travis Scott or something.

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Metallica are just too big to be that oddball headliner I think. Not sure how much they cost but its probably around the RHCP/AM/Killers mark and in that case surely the better call would be just to pick them. I thought the slipknot stuff was bad but like to think Metallica and these other heavy names are going to play is just a bit crazy. I guess its just denial for the fact its going to be like Liam Gallagher, Courteeners and Travis Scott or something.

Has it changed that much since last time Metallica played?

19 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

Also this is working on the assumption that the ‘heavy’ headliner is the one that Reading wouldn’t usually book...

I don't see why Stormzy couldn't be the 'one that they wouldn't usually book', it'd be the first grime headliner ever iirc?

20 minutes ago, C14S said:

I don't see why Stormzy couldn't be the 'one that they wouldn't usually book', it'd be the first grime headliner ever iirc?

That's a bit overthinking imo, grime is a feature of the fest already and they have rap headliners as a norm.

I'm gonna be disappointed with these curveballs, I want to see something weird like McBusted, Rammstein and Run DMC to be announced now.

Could the curve ball be Queen and Adam Lambert? I haven't looked at the dates of their tour next year so they may not be able to...but they done TRNSMT last year and feel they could do any festival tbh, even the younger audience of Reading and Leeds will know a load of Queen? Just a thought

1 hour ago, ModBoy said:

Could the curve ball be Queen and Adam Lambert? I haven't looked at the dates of their tour next year so they may not be able to...but they done TRNSMT last year and feel they could do any festival tbh, even the younger audience of Reading and Leeds will know a load of Queen? Just a thought

Not really worth booking over like literally anybody else though I think.

16 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Has it changed that much since last time Metallica played?

If Metallica were about wouldn't they just be at Download or Knebworth - its not that it has changed a lot (but obviously it has changed a fair bit) but its just why pick them over any other big headliner act.