Lineup 2020

randlfan

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do you actually believe that?

Yes lol.

Reading and Leeds for years has been a right of passage for GCSE students. It was throughout the whole time I went and still continues to be to this day. They book who the GCSE kids want to see.

but nah put your hands over your eyes and still believe that Reading’s current audience gives a shit about acts like NIN.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes lol.

Reading and Leeds for years has been a right of passage for GCSE students. It was throughout the whole time I went and still continues to be to this day. They book who the GCSE kids want to see.

but nah put your hands over your eyes and still believe that Reading’s current audience gives a shit about acts like NIN.

But they still book acts like The Distillers in prominent slots? Obviously they have a certain clientele that they want to appeal to, but that's not the be all and end all. I'm sure an MCR reunion would sell out day tickets at R&L, especially if it was their first UK shows of their reunion.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there's no chance that Slipknot could headline next year?

@Matt42 there is far too much to pick apart in your post but, genuinely, I think that you are very, very wrong on this one. 

I will single out, however, that the idea of a reunited My Chemical Romance having to co-headline with a hip hop artist to be a viable headliner is perhaps the single, most bizzare take I’ve seen on this forum in years. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes lol.

Lmao wtf. I know it's mainly aimed at a younger crowd but the place is full of bars and 15 year-old's can't even get in without an adult. I think people usually call it a rite of passage for A-level students, but even then they have plenty of stuff that isn't really suited to that age range.

On another note, what does everyone think the chances of Stormzy headlining next year are?

It seems to me that if he doesn't do R&L then there aren't really any other UK fests that he could headline. Can't really see him doing Wireless again so soon, especially the year after doing Glasto. Will he do his own thing, or is he looking likely to be at R&L?

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

On another note, what does everyone think the chances of Stormzy headlining next year are?

It seems to me that if he doesn't do R&L then there aren't really any other UK fests that he could headline. Can't really see him doing Wireless again so soon, and especially the year after doing Glasto. Will he do his own thing, or is he looking likely to be at R&L?

I'm sure he'll find something to do, even if it's a heavy step down from Glastonbury.

I don't really agree with FR booking him for R+L purely because it's his next logical step. If they can book Drake or another major rapper that would go down better instead then they shouldn't put that on hold because of Stormzy. Not even sure the 11-13 year old crowd that Reading is aimed at nowadays will be that arsed about him.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I'm sure he'll find something to do, even if it's a heavy step down from Glastonbury.

I don't really agree with FR booking him for R+L purely because it's his next logical step. If they can book Drake or another major rapper that would go down better instead then they shouldn't put that on hold because of Stormzy. Not even sure the 11-13 year old crowd that Reading is aimed at nowadays will be that arsed about him.

Stormzy wouldn’t be able to headline on his own. He’d have to co-headline with a massive reunited band or something. 

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I pretty much agree. Then again, I would class Stormzy as one of the bigger hip hop artists that R&L could feasibly book next year. If Drake is available then they'll surely snap him up over Stormzy, though.

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

SLIPKNOT AREN’T CO-HEADLINING. 

lol knew that'd cause a reaction

Cba getting into a big debate about it but I don't think it's a stupid suggestion. They'd still get an hour n a half and close both sites, it'd be more for BMTH getting proper headliner production and a longer-than-normal sub set length. I'm also trying to go off the info someone provided saying BMTH are booked to headline next year, which of course could be bullshit.

As someone has pointed out about Slipknot on some other thread (possibly the Glasto one), they're supporting Metallica in Australia so it's not like they always demand to be the stars of the show. They'd still be a full on headliner, it's just on paper and for promotional purposes I could see R&L pairing them with Bring Me.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

14 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Does anyone know how long Drake gigs tend to be?

I just looked and the longest video i could find at the o2 dates was 45 minutes and it seemed similar last time too. Like 30 song setlist too but he just plays like a minute or so of each. Joke for £120

EDIT: Scrap that 1h45 weird it wasn't one of the first videos. Scrap whats below too I guess a lot less relevant but it might have some credit to it still.

17 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I pretty much agree. Then again, I would class Stormzy as one of the bigger hip hop artists that R&L could feasibly book next year. If Drake is available then they'll surely snap him up over Stormzy, though.

^^ with this I think Stormzy might be a better idea honestly, he is bound to be heaps cheaper and will play a proper set. Drake would be the better booking without a doubt but the money could be better spent elsewhere on getting a major rock act.

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Lmao wtf. I know it's mainly aimed at a younger crowd but the place is full of bars and 15 year-old's can't even get in without an adult. I think people usually call it a rite of passage for A-level students, but even then they have plenty of stuff that isn't really suited to that age range.

I'm 18 for reference - GCSE ending year so 2017 about 20 people went out of 200, last year 70 probably and this year only about 20-30 people went. More people went/were going to Truck/Boardmasters (rip) than Reading. As for my group everyone just said they were sick of the crowd really and the people who would have gone including myself went to Sziget instead which had the same headliners.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Cba getting into a big debate about it but I don't think it's a stupid suggestion. They'd still get an hour n a half and close both sites, it'd be more for BMTH getting proper headliner production and a longer-than-normal sub set length. I'm also trying to go off the info someone provided saying BMTH are booked to headline next year, which of course could be bullshit.

Like Panic! or Travis Scott then really - maybe with that Panic! billing I guess but to be honest i doubt they would care for that.

Edited by gfa

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But they still book acts like The Distillers in prominent slots? Obviously they have a certain clientele that they want to appeal to, but that's not the be all and end all. I'm sure an MCR reunion would sell out day tickets at R&L, especially if it was their first UK shows of their reunion.

Just out of curiosity, do you think there's no chance that Slipknot could headline next year?

Not every act is going to follow the same principle, it's on the whole. I also feel like they are bringing a rockier day back recently and with that not being the general demographic of GCSE kids, it does fits with people like myself who have purchased day tickets as it caters. On a day with Foos as well they don't need to worry that a band that won t attract major interest isn't selling the ticket.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

@Matt42 there is far too much to pick apart in your post but, genuinely, I think that you are very, very wrong on this one. 

I will single out, however, that the idea of a reunited My Chemical Romance having to co-headline with a hip hop artist to be a viable headliner is perhaps the single, most bizzare take I’ve seen on this forum in years. 

Matt42 is spot on I'm afraid on this one, it's been like that since I started going and a big portion of the older attendees for days there have taken their kids as well that aren't old enough to go on their own.

47 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Stormzy wouldn’t be able to headline on his own. He’d have to co-headline with a massive reunited band or something. 

So it's now being said that Stormzy can't headline on his own?

39 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

As someone has pointed out about Slipknot on some other thread (possibly the Glasto one), they're supporting Metallica in Australia so it's not like they always demand to be the stars of the show. They'd still be a full on headliner, it's just on paper and for promotional purposes I could see R&L pairing them with Bring Me.

It's a stadium tour, Slipknot are a standard arena band in Australia but Metallica are massive there. On that though, I may look at prices for the Brisbane 29th October date.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not every act is going to follow the same principle, it's on the whole. I also feel like they are bringing a rockier day back recently and with that not being the general demographic of GCSE kids, it does fits with people like myself who have purchased day tickets as it caters. On a day with Foos as well they don't need to worry that a band that won t attract major interest isn't selling the ticket.

Matt42 is spot on I'm afraid on this one, it's been like that since I started going and a big portion of the older attendees for days there have taken their kids as well that aren't old enough to go on their own.

So it's now being said that Stormzy can't headline on his own?

If you’re saying he is spot on, he definitely isn’t. Anyone thinking that My Chemical Romance would do anything other than headline is an idiot. 

Fucking hell, read the thread. Of course Stormzy could headline on his own. I was purposely being as daft as Matt42. 

Edited by Andre91

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

If you’re saying he is spot on, he definitely isn’t. Anyone thinking that My Chemical Romance would do anything other than headline is an idiot. 

Fucking hell, read the thread. Of course Stormzy could headline on his own. I was purposely being as daft as Matt42. 

I only read the last bit and I saw no MCR post from him but yes MCR headline outright with no problem at all. As for the crowd they try to attract for tickets though he is spot on.

No need really is there to be an idiot just because you feel someone else's opinion far fetched and silly.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Errr the distillers playing fifth down (or whatever) is very different to who they book to headline.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Andre Reading 2011 was the only headlining spot MCR have done in the UK. In 2011 they played loads of gigs below headlining. They are not a headline or nothing band - even in their prime!

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Andre Reading 2011 was the only headlining spot MCR have done in the UK. In 2011 they played loads of gigs below headlining. They are not a headline or nothing band - even in their prime!

They headlined Download in 2007. If you're referring to lineups in Scotland and around Europe - that don't always carry the same placing as they do here - then sure but we're predicting for a festival that's happening in England.

39 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Errr the distillers playing fifth down (or whatever) is very different to who they book to headline.

At Reading, if they reunited, they'd be a headline or nothing band. The nostalgia for a return would make their stock bigger than it was in 2011.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That's not what I was talking about lol. I was responding to the claim that they only book acts that 'GCSE kids' want to see, which clearly isn't true.