Lineup 2020

randlfan

9 hours ago, ob123 said:

Liam Gallagher better not be anywhere near the lineup next year jesus 

I think he'll do a night or two at the Etihad. He was teasing Knebworth a week or two ago as well but that seems like less of a given.

9 hours ago, C14S said:

Persoanlly don't see BMTH not being one of the headliners

Was the double negative intentional? They said after All Points East that they didn't have any fests lined up next year, and I think R+L will have had them in the bag before then if it was happening. Just ain't.

7 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

If Brockhampton keep swerving European tour dates they'll be a big deal wherever they pop up. Feel like they could drop an arena tour tomorrow and it'd sell. 

I don't think their absence is making people more hungry for them. Just making people forget about them.

4 hours ago, moonage505 said:

hello all,

my friend thinks Bastille is a better sub than Royal Blood and won't be convinced otherwise.

please advise 

Purely depends on the audience, Bastille is a better sub in front of some crowds than Royal Blood currently. I prefer Royal Blood and looking forward to album 3.

4 hours ago, moonage505 said:

hello all,

my friend thinks Bastille is a better sub than Royal Blood and won't be convinced otherwise.

please advise 

Royal Blood were a better sub this year than Bastille were when they subbed in 2017. I saw both sets and loved both bands huge amounts at the time of seeing them. In terms of performance and crowd size Royal Blood>Bastille.

1 hour ago, frontsidecab said:

I'd say the pool of Rap/Hip-Hop/Grime/R&B headliners consists of: Eminem, Kanye, Drake, Kendrick, Stormzy, Boy Better Know, Post Malone, Travis Scott, The Weeknd - not all of them on their own.

Chance, Tyler, J. Cole would probably sub.

J Hus, Skepta, Brockhampton, ASAP Rocky, Macklemore would all be around 3rd/NME Headline imo.

Skepta is part of Boy Better Know... or did you mean him doing it solo and I'm being an idiot??

Jay Z could perhaps do it? Maybe the Hip-Hop world has moved on from him; can see it being Stormzy though, R&L is the only other festival he could do after Glasto, potentially Wireless I guess, but him being subbed by Billie Eilish would work a treat imo

1 hour ago, HornetMan said:

Skepta is part of Boy Better Know... or did you mean him doing it solo and I'm being an idiot??

Jay Z could perhaps do it? Maybe the Hip-Hop world has moved on from him; can see it being Stormzy though, R&L is the only other festival he could do after Glasto, potentially Wireless I guess, but him being subbed by Billie Eilish would work a treat imo

Yeah I meant he’d be lower solo but BBK as a collective could probably coheadline lol

I think Jay Z is far past it for Reading imo, don’t think anyone’s gagging to see him

Edited by frontsidecab

4 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

I'd say the pool of Rap/Hip-Hop/Grime/R&B headliners consists of: Eminem, Kanye, Drake, Kendrick, Stormzy, Boy Better Know, Post Malone, Travis Scott, The Weeknd - not all of them on their own.

Chance, Tyler, J. Cole would probably sub.

J Hus, Skepta, Brockhampton, ASAP Rocky, Macklemore would all be around 3rd/NME Headline imo.

Great answer but can’t see Tyler subbing. Radio one headline for him against green day I think

3 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Vampire Weekend would be main stage and even sub headliner rather than Radio 1.

Are you sure? 6 years between albums hasn’t done them any favours and this new one is what most consider their worst yet. They’re playing Alexandra palace and Manc Victoria warehouse now rather than arenas like the O2 on their MVOTC UK Tour. Plus, they got ALOT of UK radio airplay around the release of FOTB. Could be a great way to play those final uk shows of that albums run. Just like subbing in 2014 was.

9 hours ago, Nick Aldous said:

Are you sure? 6 years between albums hasn’t done them any favours and this new one is what most consider their worst yet. They’re playing Alexandra palace and Manc Victoria warehouse now rather than arenas like the O2 on their MVOTC UK Tour. Plus, they got ALOT of UK radio airplay around the release of FOTB. Could be a great way to play those final uk shows of that albums run. Just like subbing in 2014 was.

The o2 arena seating wasn't even half full on that modern vampires tour and now they've sold out 1 ally pally and have another on the go so that's definitely more tickets than one poorly sold o2 arena. 

Seen Slipknot being thrown around in this forum. Id love to see Slipknot at R&L as a headliner but do you think they would actually get a band like Slipknot as a headliner these days? I know they have had Metallica headline and had ADTR this year but not sure R&L would get heavy metal bands like Slipknot headlining anymore. We can hope though as I would be well into it. Just bagged my O2 tickets for Slipknot :D If others think its possible then fuck it, bring it on R&L.

There's never been a better time for them to do it. Album's just gone to number one, Download have just booked them so won't be going for them again so soon (you'd think, it is Download after all), early tour in January is pretty much the same time 1975 toured this year before they headlined. I think the stars are aligning.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jericode said:

There's never been a better time for them to do it. Album's just gone to number one, Download have just booked them so won't be going for them again so soon (you'd think, it is Download after all), early tour in January is pretty much the same time 1975 toured this year before they headlined. I think the stars are aligning.

Well it would be quality if they did so i hope for it!

This year might be the best year to have Slipknot headline and then pack the day to try to appeal to day ticket buyers. With Rammstein doing a show in Cardiff on the same weekend as Download, a lot of Download's regulars might not do the festival, so would have some extra money to potentially do another day at a festival? If they put a few other big metal bands near the top of the line-up, they could easily sell the day tickets and to be honest I don't think they'll have too much trouble shifting weekend tickets, especially if they put a big name rapper on one of the other days since enough of the R&L goers are school leavers who don't really give two shits about the line-up.

Slipknot, Travis Scott/Billie Eilish, Kasabian?

8 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

This year might be the best year to have Slipknot headline and then pack the day to try to appeal to day ticket buyers. With Rammstein doing a show in Cardiff on the same weekend as Download, a lot of Download's regulars might not do the festival, so would have some extra money to potentially do another day at a festival? If they put a few other big metal bands near the top of the line-up, they could easily sell the day tickets and to be honest I don't think they'll have too much trouble shifting weekend tickets, especially if they put a big name rapper on one of the other days since enough of the R&L goers are school leavers who don't really give two shits about the line-up.

Slipknot, Travis Scott/Billie Eilish, Kasabian?

I dont think Kasabian will be back just yet. I would like to see Biffy back at Reading though. I feel Biify, Green Day, BMTH could appear but early days still. The more Rock the better for myself

• Like 1

Jay Z is a megastar, doubt Reading + Leeds would be able to meet his fee. If he played 100% headliner, far from past it but his ventures into Tidal made his music less accessible which hasn't really been a smart move, wasn't surprised Beyonce didn't full back his approach on that and kept her music accessible.

1 hour ago, NerdsNatterings said:

If they put a few other big metal bands near the top of the line-up, they could easily sell the day tickets and to be honest I don't think they'll have too much trouble shifting weekend tickets, especially if they put a big name rapper on one of the other days since enough of the R&L goers are school leavers who don't really give two shits about the line-up.

Agree with this logic - if the other two headliners were acceptable to the young weekenders (and particularly if there was a reasonable alternative to Slipknot for them on the Radio 1) then they'd gain more from the day ticket sales for Slipknot's day than they'd lose from people being put off buying weekend tickets because the band with the scary masks are playing.  In fact a lot of people are probably under estimating how many of the young weekenders would go along to see them out of curiousity or for the laugh.

I know R&L change tack all the time but this year's tactic was clearly to stream the days more clearly by genre, and it seemed to work for them so can see them repeating it.

I'm not really a fan of Slipknot, not really my cup of tea. However, as has been said their album has gone to No1 and if they don't headline 2020 then they never will. FR know how to capitalise on popularity before it dwindles and I can see Slipknot headlining for sure

Stormzy/Slipknot/BMTH & Catfish co headline is a strong trio that fits the rap/heavy/indie theme they've been having the last few years