Lineup 2020

randlfan

Yeah I think Catfish and Stormzy are two likely headliners. Stormzy might do wireless again though.

I hate Catfish but I heard good things about their TRNSMT set.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, dentalplan said:

Now it appears they are in fact working on a new album, I can see R+L sniffing around The Strokes for one of the headline slots. That APE sellout won't go unnoticed, and I imagine they'd still go down fairly well with the younger crowd now.

I mean yeah but I just can’t see R&L booking the Strokes nowadays. I don’t think they are that bothered.

Since Billie has been moved to fourth down main stage I cannot see them booking her again as a sub. She’s gonna be billed as a co-headliner I reckon. I know I’ve got fan goggles but her global accession this year has been massive and unprecedented. Her debut sold more in its first week than Ed Sheeran’s latest release!

Edited by Matt42

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I think Catfish and Stormzy are two likely headliners. Stormzy might do wireless again though.

I hate Catfish but I heard good things about their TRNSMT set.

Only thing I heard was that, at Citadel and TRNSMT alike, the crowd streamed out after Bastille.

It's really unlikely that they're gonna headline Reading and Leeds at this point. I'd place money against it. It doesn't seem like FR are bothered about making new headliners of them seeing as they haven't had them back since 2015, haven't had them headline Latitude and, well, the third album came out this year so palming them off for Citadel to scoop them up this year and having them headline a year later would be very strange.

I can only see them back at Kendal, Tramlines, etc. next year and rotating between those kind of fests until the fans get bored of them - which doesn't seem like it's something that's too far off.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:31 PM, Jack.194 said:

Bombay, TDCC, Giggs and Vampire Weekend all way too low in my opinion

Could see Billie Eilish as sub and headliners look realistic.

Surely there’s no was Catfish are playing above Tame Impala though? (However I may be slightly biased)

I think it would be possibly the weakest 3 headliners they could get but that's my view.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:38 PM, gfa said:

I love the Strokes but like I don't think so - would absolutely love it to see them there but I don't think its their crowd at all anymore unfortunately, Strokes are expensive as well compared to other options. We don't even know they will be around next year doing festivals as they are so weird with touring (mind you they only play festivals now) this year was the perfect year for them I think with their first 3 albums setlist - ideal for R&L. If they had to co with Pulp in 2011 surely they can't headline now though i don't know? lets see what happens with this album but I think TRNSMT might be a better option or IOW. Anything but BMTH honestly though.

29 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Biffy Clyro 

Stormzy 

The Strokes 

The Strokes aren't headlining....at least not outright. APE is a subbing sized fest at best and they played it because they got paid to, they got absolutely blown off stage last time by their co-headline counterpart that it probably screwed their chances.

I'm not sure even Biffy Clyro will get an outright at this stage.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Only thing I heard was that, at Citadel and TRNSMT alike, the crowd streamed out after Bastille.

It's really unlikely that they're gonna headline Reading and Leeds at this point. I'd place money against it. It doesn't seem like FR are bothered about making new headliners of them seeing as they haven't had them back since 2015, haven't had them headline Latitude and, well, the third album came out this year so palming them off for Citadel to scoop them up this year and having them headline a year later would be very strange.

I can only see them back at Kendal, Tramlines, etc. next year and rotating between those kind of fests until the fans get bored of them - which doesn't seem like it's something that's too far off.

Not going to lie in the past 24 months or so catfish have headlined over 100k worth of festivals in London alone. I was thinking about it earlier and I think they have just soaked up all demand for festivals - their own shows will continue to sell well but for a headline slot at a big festival they really need to give touring a bit of a rest or head to europe/america/australia etc. If they skip festivals for a year, release the next album then do Reading and Leeds that would work. Maybe IOW next year I think could be on the cards with their low price point again like this years.

I feel Billie’s move to the main stage might have dampened her chances of returning in 2020. It would probably be the same set a few hours later in the day.

She’s also touring heavily this year so it’s no guarantee she will be around this year. I think she’s more likely for 2021. 

FR might want to capitalise on the booking now though and just sign her up anyway. What do I know ey?

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel Billie’s move to the main stage might have dampened her chances of returning in 2020. It would probably be the same set a few hours later in the day.

She’s also touring heavily this year so it’s no guarantee she will be around this year. I think she’s more likely for 2021. 

FR might want to capitalise on the booking now though and just sign her up anyway. What do I know ey?

Same as Post Malone though, right? Not expecting it but it wouldn't be too surprising - at least it guarantees getting her before her shelf life is up.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Dharma12342316 said:

I hear Weezer are headlining Friday Saturday at Leeds and Saturday Sunday at reading. My cousin is close to Weezer's tour manager and apparently its nailed on. Sucks because I dislike Weezer intensely. :(

Weezer are a country mile away from headlining Reading ??

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dharma12342316 said:

I hear Weezer are headlining Friday Saturday at Leeds and Saturday Sunday at reading. My cousin is close to Weezer's tour manager and apparently its nailed on. Sucks because I dislike Weezer intensely. :(

Seems legit but how are Weezer going to headline both sites on Saturday?

Edited by dentalplan

31 minutes ago, Dharma12342316 said:

Can confirm. Tool are subbing and Neutral Milk Hotel will be 3rd down.

13 hours ago, Dharma12342316 said:

Not a chance because Weezer can't headline  both   sites on Saturday

Not been in this thread so apologies if this has been said loads but surely Liam Gallagher is looking likely for next year?

Personally would love to see either Vampire Weekend or Tame Impala up there. Vampire Weekend maybe even as a sub if the headliners are strong but they could still headline it themselves.

20 hours ago, pepesilvia said:

Bombay Bicycle Club were great in Cambridge last night, really do hope they’ll be back here in a good slot next year. 

Their absences from all the major festivals this year was quite alarming. They’ve always been a favourite of mine in their respective genre.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:57 PM, dentalplan said:

Same as Post Malone though, right? Not expecting it but it wouldn't be too surprising - at least it guarantees getting her before her shelf life is up.

I mean yeah can’t argue with that. I do think booking hip hop acts is a little different though as they tend to churn out new material much faster than other acts. It would be a given that Post would release something new between the two festivals. Billie is not so certain.

Because this album has been quite massive I imagine her to ride the success of this album for quite a while. It depends whether her team want to milk this album or push another out another to solidify her as a serious headline contender. 

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because this album has been quite massive I imagine her to ride the success of this album for quite a while. It depends whether her team want to milk this album or push another out another to solidify her as a serious headline contender. 

Who is to say she even does festivals like Reading and Leeds again and just turns to what most pop artists do currently and just do her own shows/ a few festivals. She was booked when she was completely unheard of so this could definitely be the case - I think it would be a good idea to book her again but like its a similar situation to Dua Lipa, I doubt they will be booking her again as she just isn't very Reading even if shes popular. Not sure though not a fan of billie and my opinions seem to be off. Her style is so unique her second album will struggle to sound different to this first one though as its basically its own genre like asmr whispering shit - well to me anyway i reckon lol

It’s a hard one to call. I’d say Billie and Dua are very different and Billie has more crossover with R&L’s audience.

If post can headline reading I can’t see why Billie can’t. She’s touring pretty heavily this year so it depends what the plans for 2020 are going to be.

Its too early to call really. If she plans to release in 2021 I can see her holding off in 2020. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

BMTH won’t coheadline, Arctics have finished album cycle, and Drake is nowhere near as likely as Stormzy 

I mean Arctic Monkeys released an album last year and have done nothing for the whole of 2019. They sat out the entire festival circuit and didn’t really tour this year at all.

I’d say that puts them in the frame to release something in 2020. I just don’t know whether Reading can get them anymore without putting a serious shift in. They’ve done well to solidify themselves as a competitive booking.

Edited by Matt42