Lineup 2020

randlfan

I really like Foals and would support them headlining but if Royal Blood aren’t headlining I don’t see why Foals have to. Royal Blood’s arena tour was huge. Foals’ is nowhere near that size. 

They seem more likely for Glasto anyway, don’t they? 

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I really like Foals and would support them headlining but if Royal Blood aren’t headlining I don’t see why Foals have to. Royal Blood’s arena tour was huge. Foals’ is nowhere near that size. 

As much as I’d love to see them headline the Pyramid, I think they need a solo headline Reading show before taking that leap. Happy to be proved wrong, give me Foals headlining 2020 over some of the other names that are being thrown around on the Glasto forum. 

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah where they’re rumoured to be headlining. :P

Foals’ last arena tour was same size as Royal Blood’s wasn’t it? To be fair, Royal Blood not headlining means that many previous headliners probably shouldn’t have done so. It’s a freak occurrence.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Foals’ last arena tour was same size as Royal Blood’s wasn’t it? To be fair, Royal Blood not headlining means that many previous headliners probably shouldn’t have done so. It’s a freak occurrence.

RB played 3rd down last time, so based on natural progression theyll be back as headliners once the 3rd albums out

I love Foals, but still think co-headline as the closing act is about their level, they're hyping the 2nd half of this album to be full of bangers though, so we'll see

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Glastonbury sells out before a single act is officially announced though. We saw with Stormzy this year that they can take a risk bumping up a ‘smaller’ act. 

Royal Blood’s tour was massive. I’ve only done this because I get up for work way too early and always have loads of time on my hands in the morning :P 

Royal Blood’s tour: 

Cardiff Motorpoint Arena - 5,000

Reading Rivermead - 3,000 

Manchester Arena - 21,000

Leeds First Direct Arena - 13,700 

Birmingham Barclaycard Arena - 15,800

London Alexandra Palace (x2) - 20,000

Glasgow SSE Hydro - 13,000 

Nottingham Motorpoint Arena - 10,000 

Dublin 3 Arena - 13,000 

Bournemouth International Centre - 4,000 

Brighton Centre - 4,500 

Total - 123,000

Foals’ tour: 

Manchester O2 Victoria Warehouse (x2) - 8,000 

Tunbridge Wells Bedgebury Pinetum - ? 

Birmingham Digbeth Arena (x2) - 7,000

Glasgow Galvanisers Yard - 1,250 

Thetford Forest 

Total - 40,250

I don’t know the capacity of those two forest sessions but I would hazard a guess at somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000. The tour is nowhere near the size of RB’s. 

I agree with what you’ve said though in that RB subbing is such an anomaly. They’re bigger than a fair few of headlines they’ve had in recent years. 

Edited by Andre91

20 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

RB played 3rd down last time, so based on natural progression theyll be back as headliners once the 3rd albums out

I love Foals, but still think co-headline as the closing act is about their level, they're hyping the 2nd half of this album to be full of bangers though, so we'll see

“Coheadline as the closing act” but not big enough to headline? ?

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Glastonbury sells out before a single act is officially announced though. We saw with Stormzy this year that they can take a risk bumping up a ‘smaller’ act. 

Royal Blood’s tour was massive. I’ve only done this because I get up for work way too early and always have loads of time on my hands in the morning :P 

Royal Blood’s tour: 

Dublin 3 Arena - 13,000 

Brighton Centre - 4,500 

Total - 123,000

Foals’ tour: 

Thetford Forest 

Total - 40,250

I don’t know the capacity of those two forest sessions but I would hazard a guess at somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000. The tour is nowhere near the size of RB’s. 

I agree with what you’ve said though in that RB subbing is such an anomaly. They’re bigger than a fair few of headlines they’ve had in recent years. 

Fuck I know the difference between an arena tour and some forest shows and what-not, and that’s why I said “Foals’ last arena tour”. ? They’ll be in arenas again soon enough.

I have said myself that they could coheadline if there’s another act that Reading would otherwise miss out on (Liam Gallagher? QOTSA?) but there’s no barrier to them headlining on their own and they’re not just gonna put Two Door Cinema Club as a headliner to consolidate it.

FRIDAY: FOALS, Two Door Cinema Club, Wolf Alice, Gerry Cinnamon, The Hives, Rat Boy

R1: The Black Keys DS: Pete Tong LU: New Found Glory FR: Rat Boy R1X: Hardy Caprio

SATURDAY: DRAKE, Chase & Status, The Streets, Logic, Mabel,  

R1: Idles DS: My Nu Lung Pit: Carpenter Brut FR: Blaneavon R1X: Example

SUNDAY: LIAM GALLAGHER/CATFISH & THE BOTTLEMEN, Slaves, Lewis Capaldi, 

R1: Run The Jewels DS: Shy FX Pit: Beartooth FR: Deaf Havana R1X: Death Grips

10 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

FRIDAY: FOALS, Two Door Cinema Club, Wolf Alice, Gerry Cinnamon, The Hives, Rat Boy

R1: The Black Keys DS: Pete Tong LU: New Found Glory FR: Rat Boy R1X: Hardy Caprio

SATURDAY: DRAKE, Chase & Status, The Streets, Logic, Mabel,  

R1: Idles DS: My Nu Lung Pit: Carpenter Brut FR: Blaneavon R1X: Example

SUNDAY: LIAM GALLAGHER/CATFISH & THE BOTTLEMEN, Slaves, Lewis Capaldi, 

R1: Run The Jewels DS: Shy FX Pit: Beartooth FR: Deaf Havana R1X: Death Grips

I'd be all over this myself but I think it is pretty damn cheap, Slaves as sub seems like a push last time they played they subbed the r1 tent? 2020 would only be a two year gap, nothing warrants moving them up, maybe they should be swapping with The Black Keys as I doubt they'd accept that slot when they could be playing headline slots in America - barely worth bothering. Not too sure on the saturday either to be honest - the days are usually far more mixed. I think Example might be a bit bigger than R1X headline too, not sure on that though. Also ratboy is playing twice on Friday - may have been intentional not sure. Thats a massive bump down for Deaf Havana too..

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Royal Blood’s tour: 

Dublin 3 Arena - 13,000 

Brighton Centre - 4,500 

Total - 123,000

Foals’ tour: 

Thetford Forest 

Total - 40,250

Sorry for double post, this was on another page but Foals are also doing a ton of festivals this year too - Great Escape, This is Tomorrow, Boardmasters, Y Not, Truck, Big Weekend, the glasto secret set too - Royal Blood only did glasto which doesn't really count as it sells out pre-lineup and also R1 big weekend which is similar plus an Eden Sessions show. I think they are about a similar size really, Foals surely won't be back for Reading in 2020 as they have toured so heavily this year - the shows plus these festivals is a lot of people seeing them in a single year so unless pt2 is insane I think its got to be 2021 or maybe even the next album. I think they were offered a good deal from the 1975 is why they are headlining and not co headlining, I think the whole thing was 1975 wanted to solo headline and it meant a lot for them so I reckon they cost not a whole lot.

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Royal Blood’s tour: 

Foals’ tour: 

There are very few acts who use the full capacity at the Hydro -  would be surprised if Royal Blood did.

Galvanisers Yard holds a lot more than 1,250.  The indoor venue that is linked to (SWG3) is maybe 1,250 but not the yard itself. [Now that I've looked it up - it's 5,000 for the yard, 1,300 for SWG3]

Edited by WFD

I worked Royal Blood in Bournemouth and it wasn't anywhere near sold out! Plus didn't they also have that production that protruded out in to the normal standing space, meaning you would lose some of that capacity that was stated!

By the time we get round to next years festival Foals will have had two records out and if it's anywhere near as good as this first one (you would imagine they would release the one they considered better second), it's only going to propel them to a higher level.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, gfa said:

Foals surely won't be back for Reading in 2020 as they have toured so heavily this year 

Pretty sure they'll be touring Pt2 late 2019/early 2020 moving back onto arenas then playing a few major festivals before another break. Could easily see them headlining/co R+L or high up at Glasto next year. I feel like the reasoning behind them doing a few smaller fests this year is to regain a bit of hype and progress upwards as pt1 and pt2 go on. 

They said these 2 albums have revitalised the band when they previously thought they didn't have a 5th one in them, never mind a 6th. That's why I think they'll want to make the most of the next year and a half as possible.  

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Reading not taking a chance on Royal Blood will go down as one of the greatest festival mysteries akin to Florence and the Machine at Glasto 2015. 

It would have been odd to have them headline without a new album though. Seems a bit like QOTSA subbing 2010 or Paramore in 2012, each without anything new. They’ll probably still headline in a couple of years’ time.

Yeah I can see them doing similar to FOB did, co-head/sub then headline on the new album.

It makes sense in a way. If the new album is good then they can justify bring them back in an outright headline in a couple of years. If the new album bombs and they start to fall then they can just say they were justified in only giving them the sub slot.

First show back is in what, two weeks? Imagine we'll get a taste of new music and we'll have an early indication of whether they've made the right call.

8 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Yeah I can see them doing similar to FOB did, co-head/sub then headline on the new album.

It makes sense in a way. If the new album is good then they can justify bring them back in an outright headline in a couple of years. If the new album bombs and they start to fall then they can just say they were justified in only giving them the sub slot.

First show back is in what, two weeks? Imagine we'll get a taste of new music and we'll have an early indication of whether they've made the right call.

Makes sense from RB's perspective too, as they'll get to play multiple times = more publicity & money, provided they will eventually headline outright

If royal bloods next album goes #1 that will be three #1’ albums from them in a period where rock is supposedly dead.

Bands and acts have headlined festivals with less. I’m really surprised that their bookings have been so conservative. 

I know there’s more factors than chart success but we’re talking about a rock band here not little mix. 

EDIT: is the basis pretty much that they are a successful band but their ability to be a massive ticket seller is still questionable? For example the 1975 can sell tickets worldwide with ease but RB don’t exactly have people running to the gates?

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If royal bloods next album goes #1 that will be three #1’ albums from them in a period where rock is supposedly dead.

Bands and acts have headlined festivals with less. I’m really surprised that their bookings have been so conservative. 

I know there’s more factors than chart success but we’re talking about a rock band here not little mix. 

The third album won't be out until probably well after R+L so can you not see what people are saying that it might not be the right time?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The third album won't be out until probably well after R+L so can you not see what people are saying that it might not be the right time?

My point was that they should be outright headliners if they churn out another #1 album :P should have put that in.